Author Topic: Vintage or just old tat?  (Read 2033 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Vintage or just old tat?
« on: 25 February, 2019, 06:50:03 pm »
When my Dad died last year he left me all his photographic kit. This ranges from a couple of low end digital compacts, an Aldis slide projector, a Kodak Brownie Reflex and what looks like a homebrew enlarge in a specially modified suitcase. I think it was last used in the 60s. Similar Brownies go for about a tenner on Ebay, so not a fortune. What of the enlarger? Shop bought ones fetch anything from £35 to £100 or more. Do I bin it? Give it away? Keep it and never use it?

I've got some prints he did ( highly commended in the MEL photographic club competition) and have framed one to hang on my wall.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: Vintage or just old tat?
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2019, 07:53:25 pm »
Good quality 35mm/6x6 enlargers can be had for £25-£40 on Ebay so, unless it's something special there's not a fortune in them.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2019, 05:45:17 pm »
Thanks for that Lee. I thought as much.  Supplementary question:

There's a dozen, maybe more, cans containing developed 35mm black and white film dating back to the 1950s (neat Dad writing on the can gives the date)

It doesn't seem particularly fragile, which is amazing given the age.  How do I go about getting prints made?  I guess I could drop it into Boots for their automatic machinery to throw a fit at. What other options are there?

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2019, 06:45:02 pm »
Thanks for that Lee. I thought as much.  Supplementary question:

There's a dozen, maybe more, cans containing developed 35mm black and white film dating back to the 1950s (neat Dad writing on the can gives the date)

It doesn't seem particularly fragile, which is amazing given the age.  How do I go about getting prints made?  I guess I could drop it into Boots for their automatic machinery to throw a fit at. What other options are there?

I'd scan them.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.