Author Topic: B&M Secula Plus seatpost mount rear light  (Read 5488 times)

B&M Secula Plus seatpost mount rear light
« on: 09 December, 2016, 10:57:10 pm »
Anybody got one and have an opinion on it please?

B&M Secula Plus seatpost mount rear light

Also, did it come with any cable and if so exactly what in terms of number of cores, approximate length and terminals attached.

I think that this could be the most suitable light for mllePB's audax bike.

Thanks.

Re: B&M Secula Plus seatpost mount rear light
« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2016, 11:16:36 pm »
I've got one and it's excellent. The closest thing I've found to the old Philips Saferide, albeit not quite as big. The only difference from the mudguard mount version is the mount itself.

Yes, mine came with a 2 core cable to run to the front light or dynamo and the mount zip-ties on to the stay/seatpost and feels a bit wobbly, but doesn't seem to move or fall off.

I understand you can run them on DC and at some point I'll either dismember a usb lead to try running from a usb power pack or I'll get a little AA battery box and see if that works OK - might be useful on another bike too.

Mike

« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2016, 11:38:39 pm »
Thanks for that.

Might just buy one then. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2016, 11:42:17 pm »
I've ridden with people using these (seatstay and the mudguard version) and they get my seal of approval.  Same ring of light principle as the Saferide.  I'm not a big fan of seatstay mounting, but at least this one lets you aim the light properly.

« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2016, 11:46:57 pm »
That seals it then.   Kim approves.   No further input necessary.     :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 10 December, 2016, 12:22:19 am »
I can only vouch for the optical effect, thobut.

« Reply #6 on: 10 December, 2016, 11:16:19 am »
I have the mudguard version that's powered by a Schmidt dynohub. The light is excellent imo. :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 10 December, 2016, 11:19:33 am »
Use both a dynamo powered Secula and an AAA battery one on seatposts. In both cases, on both bikes, some extra padding was needed around the stay to make sure the zip-tie could get pulled tight enough.

Yet, they can still easily sway to a side, when that part of the bike touches something else.

Apart from that, no complaints.

« Reply #8 on: 10 December, 2016, 12:36:40 pm »
I'm not a big fan of seatstay mounting [...]

Because the light's more easily knocked than a rack mount, or some other reason?

Phil W

« Reply #9 on: 10 December, 2016, 02:02:39 pm »
Gives out a good bright but not blinding light. Has a stand light for when stopped. Came with enough wire to run it under top tube to front Dynamo light. Gets knocked as other say depending on how you lean your bike when stopped. Can be hidden by saddlebag so don't mount too high.

« Reply #10 on: 10 December, 2016, 02:22:16 pm »
I fitted one of these earlier this year when using my bike out in Crete, Spain, Gib & Cyprus and found it to be pretty good.  Normally I use both a rack (battery) and mudguard (dyno) on that bike in the UK but didn't want to use the rack and guard while touring the med so the seatstay mounted Secula was ideal.
It is very discrete it that it won't spoil your bikes lines (should that be a concern). Maybe not so bright as the 1 watt LED battery lamps that are cheaply available but as it meets German standards I had no concerns about it.

I'm not using mine anymore as the rack and guards are back on, yours for half the cost of a new one plus postage if you want.

« Reply #11 on: 10 December, 2016, 02:25:34 pm »
Can't remember whether or not it came with a cable, I check in the garage later.  I connected mine to the Edelux up front so as to be one whenever the front lamp is. the B&M rack mounted rear lamp on the bent however is connected direct to the dyno and is always on.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 10 December, 2016, 02:52:58 pm »
I'm not a big fan of seatstay mounting [...]

Because the light's more easily knocked than a rack mount, or some other reason?
Ease of being knocked when locking the bike, and because it can be occluded by the wheel/mudguard at certin angles (less of an ssue with skinny road tyres).

« Reply #13 on: 10 December, 2016, 03:32:59 pm »
Here's a photo of it on my bike last summer.  I still have the wire that it came with if you do want it, its unused as I was able to use the wire already on the bike from the guard mounted lamp.

Todays ride, quite a climb. Watch out for suicidal goats coming down. by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

« Reply #14 on: 10 December, 2016, 03:46:12 pm »
Definitely Joe.B and with the cable please.

p.m. me to arrange payment.  Please be aware that I do not do paypal or online banking so will visit a bricks and mortar bank on Monday morning.

« Reply #15 on: 10 December, 2016, 09:13:44 pm »
The closest thing I've found to the old Philips Saferide, albeit not quite as big.

The Philips Saferide is due back out some time in late January.

Spanninga have bought the rights off Philips, and are bringing out their own versions soon (was meant to be by now, but got put back)
The rear light is called the Elips, just the same, about £15
The 60 lux dynamo front (Axendo) has a black & slightly different rear case, about £40. There are also 40 lux , 40 lux battery (reflector in the lens), 60 lux battery, and 80 lux e-bike versions. The battery versions are li-ion USB rechargeable, rather than the AA of the Philips.

http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=110853

« Reply #16 on: 10 December, 2016, 09:35:04 pm »
I'll watch with interest.  Spanninga quality has been iffy with the Pixeo rear lights we have had but theSaferide rear is such a good light.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17 on: 24 April, 2019, 09:27:36 am »
Disinterring this thread as my Secula, which is mudguard mounted, has developed an annoying fault. It sometimes turns itself off when it's meant to be on. I can turn it back on again by knocking it, so I deduce a loose connection somewhere inside it. I guess I'll send it back to Spa and see what they say, but it's two and a half years old, so they might just shrug.

B&M lights do seem prone to dodgy internal connections. I've now got diametrically opposite faults with them: one bike has a front light that occasionally turns itself on unbidden, the other has a rear that turns itself off.  ::-)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 24 April, 2019, 11:56:13 am »
B&M lights do seem prone to dodgy internal connections. I've now got diametrically opposite faults with them: one bike has a front light that occasionally turns itself on unbidden, the other has a rear that turns itself off.  ::-)

Maybe you should ride backwards, for safety...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #19 on: 24 April, 2019, 12:34:22 pm »
I'd need a fixie then.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #20 on: 24 April, 2019, 12:51:22 pm »
General cogitations on seatpost versus mudguard mounting: I was briefly considering replacing the dodgy Secula with a seatpost mounted one, but there isn't much vertical gap between top of mudguard and bottom of my capacious saddlebag. Enough to put a light in but the angle of visibility would be a bit narrow. Below the mudguard seems to be asking for obscuration from the side. And there's the problem of leaning the bike against things. Against this, a mudguard mounted light can be a bit low to be visible in traffic and is also vulnerable to knocks and bashes. And some models have a bolt which protrudes a long way on the inside of the mudguard, necessitating some chopping or cutting in an awkward space. A light mounted on the saddlebag works well if it can be kept reasonably still – a support such as a Bagman is useful in this respect – but, unless the bag is permanently fixed to the bike, it's not really practical for a dynamo light. Though I suppose some sort of block connector could be included in the wiring near the light itself. Obviously you'd need a back up plan for riding without the bag in that case.

The answer, clearly, is to put your back light on a rack. Unfortunately not all bikes suit this. Or to put it on the seatpost and be luggage-free.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 24 April, 2019, 12:56:01 pm »
My thoughts exactly, though I am compelled to point out that you can measure the amount of superfluous bolt and attack it with a hacksaw/dremel/angle grinder/oxyacetylene torch/thermite/etc after removing it from the mudguard.

I've compromised somewhat on the Red Baron, in that I've worked out how to remove and re-fit the rack with a minimum of fuss for silly bike racing purposes.  (I need the rack on-road, as it's the only sensible way to carry your basic wallet/phone/keys/puncture kit - frame bags and bananana bags tend to foul the chain.)  I've got a strategically placed Tamiya connector to easily disconnect the wiring to the dynamo light.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22 on: 24 April, 2019, 01:10:18 pm »
I've got a top light mounted to my bagman using p-clips for when thats on, and a secula at the bottom of the seat post for when I'm using a small saddle bag that wraps to the post.

The other option is to get a light bracket for the bagman that'll hold a secula, which would then allow you to move the lamp to wherever on the bike you want it depending on how you've got the luggage.

Other than the ease with which the secula post/stay mount allos the light to move, the other problem I've found is if you'd rather leave the base plate on and take the lamp only to another base plate you'll inevitably drop the nut that goes on the bolt and it'll dissappear under something in your garage

I've currently got standard bullet connectors to split the cable and allow either light to be fitted though when the bottom bracket needs done I plan to run co-ax though the frame using the DI2 routing and then just SON Co-ax connectors as they'll look quite a bit tidier.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23 on: 24 April, 2019, 01:29:44 pm »
The other option is to get a light bracket for the bagman that'll hold a secula, which would then allow you to move the lamp to wherever on the bike you want it depending on how you've got the luggage.
Is this a Thing or did you make it yourself? Link/illustrations? I've actually got a spare Toplight in the box of bits, so had considered something along those lines. Problem though is I detach and reattach my saddle bag quite frequently and cos it's on a Classic rack, not a Bagman, the rack comes with it – so it would need hardy connectors in the wiring and more importantly, I'd have to be careful not to put it down in such a way as to break the light.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #24 on: 24 April, 2019, 04:29:38 pm »
I doubt this is helpful to the OP but it seems like a good place to add my bracket experience for the Secula. I had a mudguard mounted one which I decided I wanted mounted further back near the seat post and underneath my Carradice. A bent piece of metal allowed me to attach it to the bridge between the seat stays - I might have a problem in wanting as much as possible on my bike to be symmetrical.