Author Topic: Trek 1000 WSD  (Read 11105 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Trek 1000 WSD
« on: 14 December, 2008, 08:45:30 am »
Does anyone have any experience of these? Mrs eck has decided she might like a bike of her own - she must be getting fed up with the view from the back of the tandem.  :-[

There's a second-hand one for sale locally, owner the same height as Mrs e. It looks immaculate, she's asking £250, which may be a bit optimistic: new ones are on sale at £440-ish It's alu with carbon fork, Tiagra/Sora and Bontrager bits.

Thanks
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Re: Trek 1000 WSD
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2008, 09:21:21 am »
I think that's what a friend in the village has, it's a nice bike.  I think it's got mudguard eyes & clearances, which is unusual at that kinda price. 

« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2008, 11:13:24 am »
Mrs. PB nearly bought one but she found that she couldn't get on with drops. 

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 14 December, 2008, 11:16:23 am »
My sister has one - it's very nice (for a Trek).  How old is the one you're looking at eck?

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #4 on: 14 December, 2008, 04:59:14 pm »
My sister has one - it's very nice (for a Trek).  How old is the one you're looking at eck?
Not sure exactly but, from the link the seller sent, I'm guessing 2005.
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2005/archive/1000wsd

I've been looking for a road bike for Mrs eck for a while, and there are very few that come small enough. She is only 5', the bike is 47cm. Seems like a good opportunity.  :-\

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 14 December, 2008, 05:24:45 pm »
If it's in good nick £200 would be nearer the mark, I'd guess.

« Reply #6 on: 14 December, 2008, 09:19:14 pm »
Good on Mrs Eck, nice as the tandem is I think she needs her own bike, we need to up the female Scottish Audaxing team  ;D

I havent tried the Trek, but I reckon the size would be about right, my Lemond is 45cm and I think it's a bit too wee for me.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 14 December, 2008, 09:32:49 pm »
The spec is fine - they're a popular first bike for triathletes, so I see plenty of 'em.  Bum on saddle time.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #8 on: 14 December, 2008, 09:39:51 pm »
Price sounds good if it's in good condition!

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #9 on: 14 December, 2008, 10:40:49 pm »
Never had one myself but my next door neighbour has a low-range Trek and it seems a well made bike for the money. If the price is right (and a quick scan of eBay should give you a fair idea) then it's worth getting it. First road bike is always a bit daunting as you're never quite sure of size/position. If it does her for a season while she works out what she needs then it can either be sold on for about what you paid for it or kept as a winter bike.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #10 on: 15 December, 2008, 08:57:52 am »
I tried one when I ended up with the Trek Pilot. They are very nice bikes and the WSD components make it much more comfortable for me. I only ended up with the Pilot because I wanted it fast and the Pilot could be there much quicker :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #11 on: 15 December, 2008, 04:15:55 pm »
I have a Trek 1400 road bike and it is a very comfortable bike to ride. I have only changed the saddle which is not unlike a Brooks.

I guess the womens specific bike wii be very similar.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #12 on: 15 December, 2008, 05:36:47 pm »
eck - I have one of these in the garage. Bought new in 2006 and it's done about 50 miles since then  :(, so almost pristine.

Mostly white, completely as bought, but with custom pink bar tape - added as a last ditch effort to encourage it's owner to ride it, ultimately in vain.

I'm pretty sure the bike was fine to ride. I think the problem was a combination of my eagerness to get H into cycling, and the sudden onset of puberty (H's, not mine) - resulting in a huge shift in her spheres of interest.

It's pretty small (I'll check the size if you want), has 26" wheels (I think), and a 3x8 drivetrain. I don't know whether to sell it or not. I'm pretty sure H has outgrown it now, and I'll be a long time waiting for the boy (2, last month) to be ready for it, so (while I'll be sad to see it go) maybe I should?

I paid £500, so I'd be hoping to get £250 (or so) for it - but I know that's not how these things work.

I know you're not in my neck of the woods either, which is another problem. But if you're interested, let me know.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 15 December, 2008, 06:24:52 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of these? Mrs eck has decided she might like a bike of her own - she must be getting fed up with the view from the back of the tandem.  :-[

There's a second-hand one for sale locally, owner the same height as Mrs e. It looks immaculate, she's asking £250, which may be a bit optimistic: new ones are on sale at £440-ish It's alu with carbon fork, Tiagra/Sora and Bontrager bits.

Thanks
I bought my girlfriend one of the later models, the 1.2 wsd (scroll down the link for some pic's) while I was still at BikePlus, I liked the frame so much I was prepaired to upgrade the components quite a lot with the possible intention of upgrading the frame at a later date if she liked it; trouble is she does and is now so attached to 'Trigger the Trek' she won't even talk about changing it  ;D

It is ideal for fast day rides and light touring, she rode over the Pyrenees on hers. If you are looking to do the same style of riding then they are ideal. Louisa also rides a 47, she is only 5ft 1½", the bike still looks proportionate even in that size, often not the case with small bikes, a pretty bike is never exactly bad news is it  :)

Paul_Smith

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #14 on: 15 December, 2008, 07:29:42 pm »
Yay, Mrs eck now has a Bike of Her Very Own.  :) :thumbsup: :)

We have just bought the Trek I mentioned upthread. The Scottish Ladies Audax Belles will have a new recruit next season.
Full details and foties later.

Not thought of a name for it yet.
As it's her first real bike, what about n?

Thanks everyone for all the helpful posts, much appreciated.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #15 on: 15 December, 2008, 07:38:28 pm »
Congratulations Mrs Eck, have fun !

Note to Mr Eck - you realise that she'll be able to beat you to the tops of hills now ?
Aero but not dynamic

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #16 on: 15 December, 2008, 07:40:15 pm »

We have just bought the Trek I mentioned upthread. The Scottish Ladies Audax Belles will have a new recruit next season.

The Scottish Ladies Audax Belles? The SLABs Not the prettiest acronym, mibbee you should could up with something nicer.

Congrats to Alison on her new bike :thumbsup: How long until N+1 kicks in?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #17 on: 15 December, 2008, 07:47:10 pm »

The Scottish Ladies Audax Belles? The SLABs Not the prettiest acronym, mibbee you should could up with something nicer.

How about ABC - Audaxing Belles of Caledonia ?
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #18 on: 15 December, 2008, 08:11:32 pm »
Brilliant, good on Alison, I'm sure she'll love it.

But beware, Charterhall is right, encouraging your other half into cycling can be depressing. I remember having to wait for Andy Pandy wishing he'd hurry up, and now it's the other way......

I like the ABC acronym.......

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #19 on: 15 December, 2008, 08:46:36 pm »
Note to Mr Eck - you realise that she'll be able to beat you to the tops of hills now ?
Mr C, hadn't you noticed - everybody can beat me to the tops of hills.  :-[

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #20 on: 15 December, 2008, 09:08:19 pm »
Aye, right enough. Not entirely appropriate for an acronym.  :-[
Charterhall's Audax Belles of Caledonia is much better.
Careful though, or they'll be wanting their own jerseys next.  ::-)

Kyuss?  ;D

« Reply #21 on: 16 December, 2008, 07:31:26 pm »

Surely you meant to say Hen:thumbsup:

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #22 on: 16 December, 2008, 08:14:37 pm »

Surely you meant to say Hen:thumbsup:
::-)  ;D
We are thinking of calling Mrs eck's Trek Trixie.  :-[

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #23 on: 17 December, 2008, 09:50:45 pm »
I think that's what a friend in the village has, it's a nice bike.  I think it's got mudguard eyes & clearances, which is unusual at that kinda price. 

Now with foties in Readers' Wives Members' Bikes. And you're right mike, it does have mudguard eyes, and rack fitting points on the seatstays.  :thumbsup:

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: 18 December, 2008, 09:53:30 am »

Now with foties in Readers' Wives Members' Bikes. And you're right mike, it does have mudguard eyes, and rack fitting points on the seatstays.  :thumbsup:
As you can see on my post on the previous page it will take guards, just, I have 700 x 23 on that bike, it will take 25c at a push, also note that with a 47cm frame although a rack will fit it will be close to the saddle, so if a rack top bag is fitted it could well end up a bit too close, you will see that I have fitted a seat post rack, although in fairness this was in part due to the looks, it is one of the smaller rack and bags, as was the bar bag, all of which I fitted to keep the bike looking as proportionate as I could.

When you set the bike up for her it may be worth bearing in mind that being such a tiny bike the seat tube has a quite a steep angle, so you may find that pushing the saddle back on the rails more than you would expect to may help. Can never quite understand why Specialized don't set their bikes up this way; guard eyes do make sure a difference for those of us who live in sunny Europe  ;D

Paul_Smith