Author Topic: Bike friendly route planner  (Read 5543 times)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Re: Bike friendly route planner
« Reply #25 on: 27 May, 2009, 11:41:01 pm »
And it does give a list of turns downloadable as a csv file, there is scope to do an automatic turn by turn route to load in the gps with a bit of scripting.

Or to get them to do it - it's an obvious upgrade.  Instead of all that trkpt silliness, pop the controls into the downloaded gpx.  It's already doing the hard work of calculating them!

Indeed
Chief cat entertainer.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #26 on: 28 May, 2009, 09:13:20 am »
Just don't use that OSM data on Bike Route toaster for car navigation....
Car, cycle & foot modes will all route down routes tagged in OSM as "unsurfaced roads" so care needed on a bike too.

The Toaster needs to consider that and have an "avoid unsurfaced roads" option - just like most Garmins have.

The OSM stuff is definitely better for walk and bike routing. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #27 on: 28 May, 2009, 09:33:28 am »

Agree with you there... and it's what has finally convinced me to by a Garmin.
Hoping it will arrive today.   
Oooh I'm all excited, a new toy !

« Reply #28 on: 28 May, 2009, 10:34:39 am »
Just don't use that OSM data on Bike Route toaster for car navigation....
Car, cycle & foot modes will all route down routes tagged in OSM as "unsurfaced roads" so care needed on a bike too.

The Toaster needs to consider that and have an "avoid unsurfaced roads" option - just like most Garmins have.

Routing for cars is pretty well catered for elsewhere, so toaster / OSM being better for other things seems OK to me.

However ... when I tried something last night the dead end road + bridleway that I was pleased to be routed down two days ago failed to get chosen as a route for cycling.  :-\

I agree - being able to avoid and/or see the surface tags would be really good, as would a link to the key of colour codes.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #29 on: 28 May, 2009, 11:07:08 am »
From my experience and various test runs on different webpages and programmes, my personal favourite tool for creating routes for a gps device is: GPSies http://www.gpsies.com/createTrack.do

I especially like following features:

1) It is rather easy to use
2) You can use diffrent types of map providers including (but not limited to) googlemaps/satellite, osm and osm cycle. You can switch between maps on the fly which is handy esp. if you're going off-road. So you can always choose the least bad map provider for an area.
3) You can export tracks to so many formats including .gpx .tcx and .kml   

What I don't like:

1) The autorouting function (aka 'follow roads') is solely based on the googlemaps one for cars. You can't switch.
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

simonp

« Reply #30 on: 18 July, 2009, 06:05:46 pm »
Anyone seen this?

It seems to be a UK-wide extension of the Cambridge Cycling Campaign journey planner; I've played around with it in the Cambridge area.  It's not got full coverage yet, and won't plan journeys of more than 30km, but it looks very interesting and gives sane routes in Cambridge.

CycleStreets: UK Cycle Journey Planner and Photomap

« Reply #31 on: 19 July, 2009, 09:53:24 am »
Just tried bikeroutetoaster, which is absolute genius. Now I just have to buy that Garmin I've been drooling over...

... and download a UK base map with contours and cycle maps for free!