Author Topic: NOOOOOOO, destroyed a chainset today  (Read 4304 times)

Re: NOOOOOOO, destroyed a chainset today
« Reply #25 on: 22 February, 2009, 08:42:54 pm »
Heat the chainset around the BB with a heat/hot air gun and use something like a long screwdriver to gently lever it off. As the ally will expand faster than the steel BB you will havt it off in no time  :)
Also a good pair of gardening gloves or similar will usefull  ;)

StanThomas

« Reply #26 on: 24 February, 2009, 12:46:09 pm »
Heat the chainset around the BB with a heat/hot air gun and use something like a long screwdriver to gently lever it off....

Sadly, it didn't come off easily. Heated and used a two-leg auto puller, then wacked it with a mallet. Finally came off but the puller did mark the crank boss. Guess it was on pretty tight. No excuses, I put it on.
Shame. It's an old crank but one I like 'cos it's part of a 105 8-speed group - the silver painted one. May clean up enough not to show but the next bike it goes on will probably be it's last  :(

« Reply #27 on: 24 February, 2009, 05:33:56 pm »
Pleased its off. I have got into the habit of putting a good dollop of grease around the tapers to try to avoid the stuck situation.

rogerdodge

• But that was 25 years ago!
« Reply #28 on: 26 February, 2009, 11:41:40 am »
What make of chainset is it? I seem to remember that there were at least two standard sizes for the extractor threads. I think size division was stronglight and the other was everyone else.

Wibble

« Reply #29 on: 26 February, 2009, 09:38:15 pm »
What make of chainset is it? I seem to remember that there were at least two standard sizes for the extractor threads. I think size division was stronglight and the other was everyone else.

My friend's or Stans?  My friend's was an FSA, and was definately of the normal size.  Looks like Stan's was Shimano 105.

rogerdodge

• But that was 25 years ago!
« Reply #30 on: 27 February, 2009, 09:49:36 am »
I think that both of those will be standard size.
I was surprised that the threads stripped, and was trying to remember what issues there were (my workshop experience is a bit old), and half remembered the two size problem. I don't think that it was possible to fit one on the other, although they were close.
A tight fitting tool should be good, but a loose one (possibly with a different thread profile [ Italian?]) could strip the crank for you.
Roger

Is Sutherlands handbook around online? Sheldon is good of course, but this was the bible back then.