Author Topic: Do Campag make frames?  (Read 5397 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Do Campag make frames?
« Reply #25 on: 10 April, 2010, 12:39:38 pm »
Nah.  Like I say, It's not fair to have any more Southern bikes.
Getting there...

« Reply #26 on: 10 April, 2010, 04:14:04 pm »

I expect that almost all frames are made in Asia now, except for some steelies.

Italy is still a major frame producer in all materials including carbon.

But they almost all start off in the Far East, returning to Italy for spraying.

Some companies do put together carbon frames in various ways from carbon tubes, again from the Far East

Undoubtedly most of the worlds bike frames are made in China and Taiwan despite what the label may say, I was meaning the more desirable marques. Some do have frames made to their design and specification outside of Europe but most of the top Italian makers still build  their frames in Italy which is also where Merckx carbon frames are made before being sent to Belgium for finishing. There is definitely a carbon frame building plant in Italy I was looking at their website a few years back when I also found a site which listed where most makers frames were made but can't find it now but I did find this one which seems more recent  Where was my bike made? - allanti.com

Colnago - mostly Far East , Pinarello - Far East (Merckx now use same maker), De Rosa - I've been in the factory and there are no frames being made in there as far as I can see.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #27 on: 10 April, 2010, 05:55:26 pm »
I think this is generalising for carbon frames. I'm pretty sure that things like the Colnago Master and De Rosa Neo Primato are still made in Italy  ;D Maybe the De Rosa Titanium frames as well?

It was just over ten years ago I admit, but I remember being told a story by somebody who'd recently visited the De Rosa factory - he sat there for half an hour watching Ugo De Rosa file a mitre on a tube.

inc

« Reply #28 on: 10 April, 2010, 06:25:41 pm »
This is the Italian company that make ( or should that be made) a lot of Italian and Merckx frames ATR Group They still show Colnago on their website

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #29 on: 10 April, 2010, 08:53:54 pm »
Not sure they've ever claimed to make them, but I've certainly heard their name in relation to carbon fibre, and carbon fibre tubes.

The flagship EPS frame is still made by Colnago in Cambiago (as well as the soon-to-be discontinued C50) - <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MRt4p7M1QFw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/MRt4p7M1QFw&rel=1</a>

« Reply #30 on: 10 April, 2010, 09:29:12 pm »
Just looking through the various Taiwanese suppliers that brands use - the suppliers own-brand bikes are fascinating.

Kenstone fixed mini-velo