Author Topic: Clickety Click  (Read 3593 times)

Clickety Click
« on: 25 June, 2010, 12:53:53 pm »
There's a noise on my bike that doesn't make much sense to me, wonder if anyone else has experienced it.

It comes apparently from the BB area, and it is a clicking at crank speed, 1 click per revoluiton, around 11 o'clock on the l/h pedal. It is only there when I am pedalling with the left - if I just pedal with the right it makes no noise. It is worse when I start but seems to calm down a bit after 20 miles, it's been happening and getting worse (sometimes two click close by each other) for several hundred miles. I cannot reproduce it at rest or in a stand.

BB is a Truvativ GXP, no rumbling, I've squirted a bit more grease under the seal.

I figger this has to be BB, wondered if anyone has other ideas before I just swap it out.

Not a very good vid (too much wind noise) but you can just about hear it - worse in real life:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9oHjYpvD5swUcl2zfETnLkpz6DQKW53YwEv0duOC_Ko?feat=directlink

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Clickety Click
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2010, 12:57:59 pm »
Occam's razor: remove the left hand pedal from the crank and grease the pedal thread.

I realise you say the noise is from the BB, but certainly I wouldn't be able to tell if the noise where from the BB or the pedal thread region.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2010, 01:00:29 pm »
I don't have experience with that type of BB & crank, but could it be play in the BB/crank interface?  Can the crank be tightened further?

Try a different pedal altogether, if you have one, to eliminate the pedal.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

iakobski

« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2010, 01:02:17 pm »
I figger this has to be BB, wondered if anyone has other ideas before I just swap it out.

Could also be the pedal bearings or the BB not seated properly. Check for play in the BB and the pedal and the cranks and even the chainring bolts.

Then, if no play found, as Adamski, in this order: grease the pedal threads, tighten chainring bolts, remove and refit BB, cleaning and greasing all threads. When the BB is out it should be obvious if the bearings are shot.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2010, 01:06:55 pm »
Sounds so loud in the video that I suspect it is to do with the cranks or BB - but yes, do check for other things as well.

« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2010, 01:20:42 pm »
Sorry I should have added all the things I've done:

- Changed the SPD
- removed the bearing, no signs of wear
- greased, refitted (guessing the torque - I only have the Park Tools ring spanner thingy)

It is weird. (and, as pointed out, damn loud)

Still some other stuff to check there, though, thanks

The bike is pretty new, just over a year, with only 2,000-ish miles on it at a guess (max 3), most (not all) fair weather Sunday riding,  and the clicking has been there for quite a while now. Started some time after last year's DunRun.

iakobski

« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2010, 01:25:20 pm »
Cleats?

Not much left.

« Reply #7 on: 25 June, 2010, 01:29:28 pm »
I'm getting this sort of noise from chainring bolts at the moment - I have one of those useless tools for stopping the nut from turning when you tighten the bolt with an allen key, but it doesn't grip.  So I am trying to put up with the noise.

I had thought it was pedals but have swapped pedals around to eliminate that.

« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2010, 01:39:12 pm »
I had lots of noise from Campag BBs until I realised that the torque indicated for fitting is way more than I had been using.  Once I'd done the lockring up to the correct torque, BB gave many more miles of silent operation.

Could this be the case?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2010, 01:39:51 pm »
I'm getting this sort of noise from chainring bolts at the moment - I have one of those useless tools for stopping the nut from turning when you tighten the bolt with an allen key, but it doesn't grip.  So I am trying to put up with the noise.

Just keep turning the bolts and the nuts will eventually stop slipping as the grease or dirt disperses or burns off.  Press the back of the nut with your finger to get it started if it's very loose, but afterwards just keep spinning your allen key.  It's never failed for me.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #10 on: 25 June, 2010, 01:44:55 pm »
BB slightly loose?  See if you can produce a click when aligning each crank in turn with the seat tube and trying to squeeze them together.  (better description of this test here:- Creaks, Clicks & Clunks)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #11 on: 25 June, 2010, 01:49:00 pm »
Just keep turning the bolts and the nuts will eventually stop slipping as the grease or dirt disperses or burns off.

I like that idea.  I must find a spare hour or so and settle down on the lawn with my bike and an allen key and twiddle away!  Mind you, they are already fairly tight.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 25 June, 2010, 01:54:13 pm »
I've done less productive things with an hour ;)  Seriously, it shouldn't take longer than a minute or so.  Failing that, remove the chainrings, bolts and nuts and clean and degrease it all (except lightly grease the bolt threads, if you like) and assemble with clean gloves!  I've never had to resort to that, though.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #13 on: 25 June, 2010, 01:58:38 pm »
I cannot reproduce it at rest or in a stand.

I had something similar a few years ago until I noticed it was only happening when I was sitting in the saddle. Turned out to be a broken clamp. You'd swear it was coming from the BB or pedal.

There's only one way to nail these things - elimination. Swap pedals, BB, cranks until you find it.

fuzzy

« Reply #14 on: 25 June, 2010, 02:08:53 pm »
Similar unidentifiable noise for me was the plastic coated end of my shoe lace clacking on the crank ;D

« Reply #15 on: 25 June, 2010, 02:16:02 pm »
I've done less productive things with an hour ;)  Seriously, it shouldn't take longer than a minute or so.  Failing that, remove the chainrings, bolts and nuts and clean and degrease it all (except lightly grease the bolt threads, if you like) and assemble with clean gloves!  I've never had to resort to that, though.

I've tried the strip out and clean option.  I may give the twiddle option a try but I have just discovered that there is such a thing as chainring bolts with hex on one side and torx on the other, so that may be my next sneaky upgrade...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #16 on: 25 June, 2010, 02:21:21 pm »
I have just discovered that there is such a thing as chainring bolts with hex on one side and torx on the other, so that may be my next sneaky upgrade...

They'll be good.  Another solution I've just thought of: carbon fibre assembly paste on the nut exteriors.  That will might enable bastard-tightness.

JJ

« Reply #17 on: 25 June, 2010, 06:22:42 pm »
Similar unidentifiable noise for me was the plastic coated end of my shoe lace clacking on the crank ;D

In my case it was the free end of the derailleur cable.  :facepalm:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18 on: 25 June, 2010, 07:20:29 pm »
It's most often the saddle creaking in its clamp.  Does it do it when you stand up and pedal?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Zoidburg

« Reply #19 on: 25 June, 2010, 07:23:03 pm »
You will never track it down.

Service and rebuild.

« Reply #20 on: 25 June, 2010, 08:42:05 pm »
See if you can wobble the rear wheel from side to side. I've tracked some annoying clicks that appear to be BB to play in the rear hub. It's a particular problem on some Mavic wheels - the ones with a circle of holes on the outer edge of the hub to adjust the play (with the special spanner). My Ksyrium ES rear wheel works loose to the point of clicking every 3-5 rides.

« Reply #21 on: 25 June, 2010, 08:58:43 pm »
Some more thoughts there, thanks. 

It's not the saddle (not as fault finding but I've changed it from the original to my old Selle Italia) it's there when I'm off the saddle. It's there when I pedal with the left foot only and not with right foot only (that is VERY strange thing to do)

I do have a new GXP ready and waiting, but I hate not knowing. I even have an alternative crank assembly (my Marin is GXP, too) but that seems a bit more than a little faff.

gordon taylor

« Reply #22 on: 26 June, 2010, 05:15:02 am »
I'd guess the noise is from the spokes on the rear wheel.

BB/pedal noises in chez Gordy disappear when I tighten and true my rear wheels.

The noise is synchronised with the crank bcause you lean the bike to left an right when you pedal - so the wheel is bent over, or something, and the spokes click against each other.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #23 on: 26 June, 2010, 09:24:19 am »
Did you play Ham's video, Gordy?  Can spoke clicking be that loud?

gordon taylor

« Reply #24 on: 26 June, 2010, 09:35:01 am »
Did you play Ham's video, Gordy?  Can spoke clicking be that loud?

Wot video?

Ooops. THAT video.

:-[