Author Topic: How long do good LED lights last?  (Read 2670 times)

How long do good LED lights last?
« on: 19 November, 2010, 06:43:57 pm »
What sort of lifespans are you good folk getting out of your Sunday-best LED lights?

I refer to the likes of Dinotte, Exposure, Hope, the ones that cost enough to make you really think about it, and I'd like to limit this to faults with the light itself, the electronics and emitters, rather than problems with external items such as brackets or leads. Any disappointingly early failures? How long do these things last?

Re: How long do good LED lights last?
« Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2010, 06:50:23 pm »
£80 B&M Topal lasted a fortnight

£150 Solidlight lasted 9 months of a very wet year and must have done 18,000 miles.

The Cyo I bought last year is still going well, but hasn't done that many miles.

My Blackburn X6, bought in November 2006 is still going strong, but hasn't done a great deal of miles either.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2010, 06:53:44 pm »
Lithium batteries have a limited useful lifespan, generally around two years.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2010, 07:00:11 pm »
I've been so pleased with my Solidlights that I've just bought a second hand set from a forummer.

I also use Hope Vision 1 as a second light.

My rear lights are Cateye, Fantom XR9 and Smart. Used all together they are pretty striking.

I did have a temporary fault with the Cateye when one of the contacts lost touch with the battery, but that has never been repeated.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2010, 07:00:43 pm »
I still use an ancient Vista rear light, three LEDs and no flashing mode.

« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2010, 07:06:15 pm »
Yebbut how long - give me numbers ferchrissakes  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 19 November, 2010, 07:18:46 pm »
The rear battery contacts on my B&M Ixon IQ lasted about 1.5 years (maybe 4000 miles, of which a significant amount were on towpath-quality surfaces) with fairly infrequent battery changes - I usually charge them in situ - before shearing off.  I was able to fabricate a replacement, and it's otherwise still working (it only tends to come out as a secondary light for night rides, I'm not sure I trust it as a primary light any more), though I'm aware that they have a tenancy to suffering from more inaccessible contact problems.

(It also suffered a bracket failure, but replacements are easily available, and we're not counting those.)

I've had no issues with either of my Cyos, but I've only had them for 6 months and a bit over a year, respectively (both have done about 2000 miles, mostly on road, and the newer one has been fairly lucky at escaping soakings so far).

I've not had any non-bracket-related issues with rear lights other than water ingress related switch problems on a Smart Superflash.  Spraying with silicone grease seems to keep it from misbehaving too badly.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #7 on: 19 November, 2010, 07:21:04 pm »
My Solidlight lives on it's fourth year, in hit's live it have survived at least 4 big  hits into the tarmac.

My Smart Super Flash have a similar age now, I grease the rubber seal with silicone grease every time I switch batteries
and suspect that's the reason it still lives.

If you want their lifespan in hours, then the answer is >2000 hours for both at present.

« Reply #8 on: 19 November, 2010, 07:24:10 pm »

10yrs?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2010, 07:45:09 pm »

Well, in theory, but my phone battery must be 5 years old, my old iPod is nearly 5 and the one in my oldest digital camera must be getting on to seven - neither have deteriorated enough for me to feel the need to change them. I bought a new Powerbook battery when it suddenly dropped to about 20mins use after maybe 4 years.

The reason I'm saying this is don't let it put you off lights with Li-ion batteries, I think manufacturers deliberately revise their estimates downwards to reduce disappointment. I bought an Exposure Joystick a couple of years ago and it's fine. When it was new I got 3 hrs on full, I haven't tested it recently but it's not causing me any worry. When it does I trust I'll be able to send it to Exposure to get a replacement fitted.

corshamjim

« Reply #10 on: 19 November, 2010, 08:02:14 pm »
No problem with my B+M IQ Cyo after 18 months or so.  My Nordlicht bottle dynamo has needed a little fettling (replaced roller with knurled steel one) but is still working fine too.

simonp

« Reply #11 on: 19 November, 2010, 08:36:44 pm »

I bought my Solidlights rechargeable light in 2006.  I haven't yet noticed any degradation in performance.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12 on: 19 November, 2010, 09:53:41 pm »
10 year guarantee on my Ay-Ups (battery 1 year). I may be getting a second set.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #13 on: 19 November, 2010, 09:59:00 pm »

10yrs?

They were great lights. I had one (5 diode) that I reckon lasted for 70,000 miles. The most reliable I've ever had.
I still have some around but suspect that they have heavy electrical leaks as the batteries don't seem to last very long. I might dig them out and start using them again now that I've bought a load of rechargables.

« Reply #14 on: 19 November, 2010, 10:03:10 pm »

10yrs?

I remember the 3 diode Vistas being around in 1993-1994. Then around 1994-1995, the 5 diodes versions came along, I think.

« Reply #15 on: 19 November, 2010, 10:10:03 pm »
14,000 or so miles, many of which were after dark, using a pair of Hope Vision 1's fed by Uniross Hybrio's.

Two busted handlebar clamps - both of which were replaced FOC, and battery cover o-rings supplied by Hope FOC on demand.

Stuggling to find much to moan about there....

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #16 on: 19 November, 2010, 10:12:24 pm »
I think I have one of the 5-led ones, heavily used for the best part of a decade without fail... 1995 sounds about right, a big improvement on the 3-led ones. They also made a front equivalent, which had greenish-yellow diodes. More of a reflector than an emitter really.

« Reply #17 on: 19 November, 2010, 10:17:15 pm »
I think I have one of the 5-led ones, heavily used for the best part of a decade without fail... 1995 sounds about right, a big improvement on the 3-led ones. They also made a front equivalent, which had greenish-yellow diodes. More of a reflector than an emitter really.

Oh yes, the early front diode lights were bloody awfull, but still usefull. you couldn't really see a thing with them, nor really be seen by them, but they were handy if you were in a bunch in the early hours so that those you were riding with could look behind and see where you were and you could save the batteries and therefore avoid roadside battery changes of the Ever Ready.
One of the middle diodes rattled loose in mine and that was it for that light...

« Reply #18 on: 19 November, 2010, 10:32:17 pm »

10yrs?

I remember the 3 diode Vistas being around in 1993-1994. Then around 1994-1995, the 5 diodes versions came along, I think.

You're right, it must be older. I have two or three of the 5 diode ones, and a greenish front one. One of them survived the washing machine in a jersey back pocket.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #19 on: 19 November, 2010, 10:32:41 pm »
The actual white LEDs are rated to last between 20,000 and 100,000 hours by manufacturers. However, they tend to dim as they get older. Real world tests are said to show about 75% residual brightness after about 15,000-20,000 hours.

As others have mentioned, the light enclosure and connections may not last as long!  :'(

Personally, my Solidlights have lasted very well (6 years for the 1303 and 5 years for the 1203D) although I  have upgraded and re-shoed them.
My IQ Cyo has done one winter (2 hours per day) and is doing well into a second winter.

« Reply #20 on: 19 November, 2010, 10:47:56 pm »
I got an early dynamo Solidlight at the end of 2005. The electronics in it went phut on a downhill about 9 months later (doing 40mph unable to see anything whatsoever is exciting!!!). It was mended and kept on in regular use until it was replaced by an Edelux 2 years later. That's still going strong (just over 2 years). I did a DIY upgrade on the Solidlight, but don't use it much any more.
I've also been using a Hope Vision 1 for just over 2 years with no problems.

I remember getting over 30mph on one of the Knightlight single LED front lights (one of the first front LEDs to actually be white rather than greenish)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #21 on: 19 November, 2010, 10:52:05 pm »
Longevity may be worse than previously thought...

Found this while trawling the interweb....

« Reply #22 on: 19 November, 2010, 11:10:06 pm »
I expect the front glass to be the first part of the light to really deteriorate. At least that was my experience during the halogene years. I'd rather have to replace the front glass than the bulb itself to keep the maximum light output. Many LED lights still have a soft plastic front lens/glass. The Edelux doesn't but many of the 'cheaper' ones still have the plastic.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #23 on: 19 November, 2010, 11:11:23 pm »
Interesting point he makes... I suspect phosphors are getting better year-by-year though. 2005 is aeons ago in white LED terms.

Thing is, by the time the LED's light output has had a chance to deteriorate appreciably, we've all been persuaded to buy newer, brighter torches.

« Reply #24 on: 19 November, 2010, 11:40:44 pm »
Interesting point he makes... I suspect phosphors are getting better year-by-year though. 2005 is aeons ago in white LED terms.

Thing is, by the time the LED's light output has had a chance to deteriorate appreciably, we've all been persuaded to buy newer, brighter torches.
Hmmm, that's what you think ;) Some ere will do otherwise