Author Topic: Touring  (Read 5317 times)

Touring
« on: 26 December, 2010, 07:38:15 pm »
Im planning on doing some touring next year on the bike :thumbsup:
Ive already got a rear rack(although just taken it off, using a Carridace for work now instead) so i think in that bit im fine. I will need another pannier and a few other bits though.
But anyway, onto my question. Do i need front racks when touring? I can only see me going for 2/3 nights at a time, so will i need a front rack? Or can i squeeze enough of the junk i need into 2 panniers and ontop of the rack?
I naively think there wont be much because i wont be gone long, but i know i will be wrong on this.
Any help would be appreciated. I wont be going soon, it could do with warming up abit first.
Ive got carbon front fork so if i did go touring id need to change to a fork with mouting for the front rack i guess.

Cheers 8)

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Touring
« Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2010, 07:45:10 pm »
No, you can easily get away without front rack & panniers on a solo touring machine. We use them on the tandem but that's two people's stuff suspended over two wheels rather than 4.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

bazzerp

• A new life in Cape Town.
« Reply #2 on: 26 December, 2010, 07:46:21 pm »
Depends if you're camping
Where have all the hedges gone ?

« Reply #3 on: 26 December, 2010, 07:48:32 pm »
The more luggage capacity you have, the more you'll take.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 26 December, 2010, 07:49:48 pm »
Light(ish)weight camping, you can get away with a saddlebag, two panniers & a barbag quite comfortable.  Tent to be strapped to saddlebag.  The only time I've really wanted more, it's been extra layers for winter.
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 26 December, 2010, 07:51:39 pm »
Ian H speaks the truth.

Even if you're camping, you might never need front bags.  In summer, a pair of panniers is easily enough for 2/3 days and if you're good at packing lightweight, you don't even need that.  

I'm not a lightweighter by any means, but I've watched in stunned amazement as people proceed to decant everything they need for a weekend's cycle camping out of a Carradice Longflap.  A special mention must go to Phil, who managed to do last year's Freeze Yer Bits Off camp with nothing but his longflap and what he could get strapped to it.

The best bike to go cycle touring on is the one you already have.  The best kit to take is the kit you already own.

JFDI  :thumbsup:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #6 on: 26 December, 2010, 08:13:06 pm »
Ian H speaks the truth.

... A special mention must go to Phil, who managed to do last year's Freeze Yer Bits Off camp with nothing but his longflap and what he could get strapped to it.
Conversely, I carry a SPARE kitchen sink.  Just in case the first one gets damaged.

This has some impact on my hill-climbing ability.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #7 on: 26 December, 2010, 08:13:46 pm »
I've only toured with front panniers once and I ended up losing one of them in the mysterious Belgian churchyard incident.

Every other time it's just been two rears with tent bungeed to the rack. I've found that's all I need. And we're talking two weeks touring rather than just a weekend. You're going to stink anyway after two weeks on a bike, so there's little point in taking loads of clothes and stuff.

I do like to use a small bar bag just to keep stuff I want to have to hand in - wallet, camera, phone etc....

Good luck - you'll love it  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #8 on: 26 December, 2010, 08:14:20 pm »
I've always managed fine with two rear panniers.  Sleeping bag & mat in one; clothes & stove in another, book crammed in wherever you can put it, tent strapped over the top of the rack.  

« Reply #9 on: 26 December, 2010, 08:27:16 pm »
I've always managed fine with two rear panniers.  Sleeping bag & mat in one; clothes & stove in another, book crammed in wherever you can put it, tent strapped over the top of the rack.  

That was my idea, with a bar bag with some grub in, map ontop with phone in there.
The only thing i will need is a tent and sleeping bag, and maybe a mat. I used a metal frame camp bed before, that will be way too heavy. I might be able to borrow my brothers mat though.
Brilliant, so no need for front rack :thumbsup: Cheers all

« Reply #10 on: 26 December, 2010, 08:30:27 pm »
Don't be fooled by all these lightweight heretics. You will need front and rear panniers :facepalm:, a barbag, a rackpack, seatpost pack, saddlebag and a Bob Yak! Even after that you'll need to bungee your tent to something. Why do you think cycle tourists go so slow?   :P

« Reply #11 on: 26 December, 2010, 08:31:43 pm »
Don't be fooled by all these lightweight heretics. You will need front and rear panniers :facepalm:, a barbag, a rackpack, seatpost pack, saddlebag and a Bob Yak! Even after that you'll need to bungee your tent to something. Why do you think cycle tourists go so slow?   :P

I thought it was too much wine/beer from the evening before slowing them down?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 26 December, 2010, 08:57:30 pm »
As has already been said, it depends.  In my experience, it depends mostly on how much Fine British Weather you're expecting, and whether you're carrying camping kit (and how posh said camping kit is - cheaper tents, sleeping bags etc tend to add a lot of bulk, if not weight) and/or cooking kit.

For a couple of nights' camping with a stove, my preference is for four lightly packed panniers rather than the two plus tent strapped across the top of the rack that I strictly need (I have a cheap rectangular sleeping bag because mummy bags give me back pain, and it fills most of a pannier by itself).  It distributes the weight much more evenly, which is beneficial when you're hefting the bike about, as well as when climbing hills.  It's also handy to have some spare room in the panniers for taking on shopping or extra water or whatever (though a very basic shoe bag/rucksack is a good alternative for that sort of thing).

I already have bikes with front racks and nowhere sensible to mount a bar bag, though.  Front racks are very often a pain to fit (I had to manufacture custom brackets to fit the fork on my Dawes hybrid), so it's quite reasonable to want to avoid them.  Two panniers and a bar bag seems to be a popular combination.

If you're not camping, then it's really just spare clothes (so a function of weather and whether you need to not look too much like a cyclist in the evening), bike tools, bonk rations, camera, wallet and so on.  You can fit that in pretty much anything.  My preference would be a pair of 'front' sized panniers, but bar bag and saddle bag / rack pack / pannier would also work well.

A useful skill to develop is the ability to resist filling your luggage with stuff you don't need.  If you lack that skill, you're better off with smaller luggage.  I'm terrible for carrying too many tools and quite a lot of food (though that's largely justified, I can't rely on finding stuff to eat at random pubs or wherever), but I have now learned to leave the kitchen sink at home.  Rumours that I have climbing ability are greatly exaggerated.

I highly recommend the use of semi-waterproof stuff sacks for managing the contents of your panniers, especially if they're Ortlieb-style single compartment ones, or less than optimally waterproof.  Saves an awful lot of rummaging around, and lets you keep the wet clothes separate from the dry ones, and so on.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #13 on: 26 December, 2010, 09:15:34 pm »
I've always managed with four large panniers, three handlebar bags, a rack pack, an overloaded trailer and four extra legs-

;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 26 December, 2010, 09:17:19 pm »
^^ POTD   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 26 December, 2010, 09:18:01 pm »
Some folk may not have the same amount of young slave labour available for propulsion.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #16 on: 26 December, 2010, 09:20:19 pm »
Before Chris's family was old enough to be a power unit, he used the front panniers to cart them about in. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #17 on: 26 December, 2010, 09:23:18 pm »
Must be a long time since I set foot into a YHA Establishment but have just been looking at some of the new year 'deals' they do which are pretty amazing. e.g. 3 days over new year with all meals for £130, and this by the seaside. Beats watching telly, pity bout the snow. I am sorely tempted to try this next year.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #18 on: 26 December, 2010, 09:24:06 pm »
When it comes to packing for touring Mrs chris has her own interpretation of the classic advice -

Put what you think is the minimum maximum that you might need in a pile on the floor and put half of it away add the same amount again (just in case). ;)

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #19 on: 26 December, 2010, 09:25:49 pm »
Before Chris's family was old enough to be a power unit, he used the front panniers to cart them about in. :thumbsup:

Indeed, that is almost true. The only slight inaccuracy is that we used the back panniers as a fidgiting kid in the front pannier tends to upset the handling. I've just been looking for the photo of it, but I think it is pre-digital and in a box with 000s of other pictures.

« Reply #20 on: 26 December, 2010, 09:32:34 pm »
Chris you are clearly a frustrated train driver.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #21 on: 26 December, 2010, 09:39:42 pm »
Beware of loading the bike with too much stuff at one end.  When I did my first tour aged nearly 16, I lost some front teeth while descending here with camping kit on the back.  If you can distribute your stuff around the bike, it'll handle more like a bike and less like a very strange thing.  When I did that trip again, I used two panniers with nothing on top, a daysack on my back and a bar bag on the front, and managed to make it to the end in one piece.

Having said that, you really shouldn't need that much stuff for a 3 day trip.  If you try youth hostel / b&b 'credit card' touring, you can get away with less - a Carradice saw me fine for eight days in France this year.

« Reply #22 on: 26 December, 2010, 09:56:35 pm »
I tend to find that you need nearly as much for one night away as you do for a week. It's also really nice to get out of cycling clothes in the evening.

My touring has involved camping thus far, and for this, four panniers was quite sufficient. I like not having loads of stuff strapped to my bike.

As always, YMMV.

« Reply #23 on: 26 December, 2010, 10:02:21 pm »
If camping then strap the tent across the rack, put your cloths or sleeping bag in the saddle bag and then the cooking kit in one pannier and the cloths or sleeping bag in the other.

If using YHAs or B&Bs then just use your saddlebag.

The more bags you have the more kit you will take.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: 29 December, 2010, 10:29:33 am »
Modern travel clothing and indeed cycle kit is such that it packs small and drys quickly; a friend of mine cycled 'Lejog' this year with one pair of Assos shorts, washing them each night (although he did take a second pair just incase).

You will be surprised just how you can reduce the packing size, a trial run packing before you go is always a good idea. Obvious things, take enough tooth paste and soap for tour only etc, I normally use dual purpose clothing, my baggy shorts and T shirts I wear in the evening are infact baggy Cycling Shorts with a removable insert and MTB Cycling T Shirts, so I can ride in those if need be.

Worth noting that front panniers can be used on the rear. I have done two week tours using front panniers as rears and that was when I needed to carry cold weather kit as was going over the high Alps.

Paul_Smith