Author Topic: Loose bottom bracket  (Read 5913 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Loose bottom bracket
« Reply #25 on: 28 February, 2011, 06:23:03 pm »
Have you tried plumbers PTFE tape ? Dodgy bodge though it may work ?

Tried that originally but the thread was too far gone.

Will see what happens with the Velo Orange and threadlock on the weekend.

« Reply #26 on: 28 February, 2011, 08:45:30 pm »
Damn. How much play is there when you slide the prestige bb in?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Hummers

« Reply #27 on: 28 February, 2011, 09:05:28 pm »
Damn. How much play is there when you slide the prestige bb in?

Loads. Tried the shim/tin can idea on both sides and packed it out OK but it came loose.

Oddly, I redid it without the shims (different threadlock too) and it seemed to hold fast despite being given a bit of a Hummers out of the saddle beasting on Satueday.

H

« Reply #28 on: 28 February, 2011, 11:50:41 pm »
I think that you can't have any play or it will work loose.

Mine is still fine in the mercian after a good few hundred miles. No Hummer beasting, but it was through the worst of the winter weather so include hammering over some rough roads.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #29 on: 01 March, 2011, 12:23:33 am »
Try some epoxy resin, like Araldite.
When I was in Ireland I discovered that the thread had sripped in my BB. There was still somethread there, but my BB kept working it's way out.
I limped to a town and bought some epoxy resin and glued it in place, ate in a cafe to bide some time to allow it to set a bit, then rode back to the hostel, carefully.
It did at least another 1000 miles, no trouble. The frame has since been scrapped (It was in a bad way) but it would have probably held up for plenty more miles.
Either way, you might as well get another frame and save yourself time, money and hassle. Having a bike you can rely on saves money on train fares home when an unreliable bike breaks. Plus, you's still need to buy another reliable bike on top of having to pay to get home.
Have a nice new bike, save yourself some money and have a nicer ride instead of flogging a dead horse. :thumbsup:

Hummers

« Reply #30 on: 01 March, 2011, 11:42:29 am »
Try some epoxy resin, like Araldite.
When I was in Ireland I discovered that the thread had sripped in my BB. There was still somethread there, but my BB kept working it's way out.
I limped to a town and bought some epoxy resin and glued it in place, ate in a cafe to bide some time to allow it to set a bit, then rode back to the hostel, carefully.
It did at least another 1000 miles, no trouble. The frame has since been scrapped (It was in a bad way) but it would have probably held up for plenty more miles.
Either way, you might as well get another frame and save yourself time, money and hassle. Having a bike you can rely on saves money on train fares home when an unreliable bike breaks. Plus, you's still need to buy another reliable bike on top of having to pay to get home.
Have a nice new bike, save yourself some money and have a nicer ride instead of flogging a dead horse. :thumbsup:

All of the above is true but I can't bring myself to pension it off. I still have the Velo Orange BB to try out so it is not so much a dead horse as a bit of an old knacker.

H