Author Topic: Suggestion for a helmet  (Read 3477 times)

Suggestion for a helmet
« on: 19 January, 2012, 08:55:29 pm »
I have up to now been an advocate of not wearing a helmet but am being nagged into wearing one. So to satisfy family and friends I have relented, My only one at the moment is a  heavyish Giro which I carry when I go to Spain but other than that I know little about the qualities. Maybe a lighter weight with more vents would be nice.

My cycling is mainly touring both day and longer rides, aiming to do 10,000 miles a year. I do no competitive riding. So some suggestions would be welcome.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Suggestion for a helmet
« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:05:19 pm »
I got two from lidl
The older one is an attractive red colour and I did PBP with it
The newer one is black and has padding that is too warm but on the plus side it has a light that you clip on the back
Both cost under a tenner and have some kind of Euro specification sticker in them

I keep meaning to get a "nicer" helmet for wearing at events and other special occasions but somehow I have resisted paying 60 quid+ for a bit of plastic and polystyrene

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:06:31 pm »
O.K. I've got my sensible head back on.

I don't like wearing a helmet & mostly don't but when I do I use this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-atmos-helmet-2012/

as it's the most comfortable,lightest,best ventilated of the several I have in the garage & tried over the years.

Hope that's a bit more helpfull

« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:21:26 pm »
I had to have a lid for Miglia Italia, so invested in a Specialized for about £35 from my local Evans.
It was OK, but I'd rather not wear it anmd haven't worn it since. It'll be used for mountain biking now.
but I did make sure that I got one with a peak to protect my eyes from rain and dazzling lights.
Specialized are supposed to have the best protection.
If you're not fussed about that and are just wearing it to appease other people, then I'd go for the comfiest one you can find.
I used to wear one all the time. You get used to them after a while.

« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:23:34 pm »
I don't wear a helmet unless I'm drunk as a skunk or it's very icy. But the MET one I have is incredibly light weight which I think is the most important attribute, plus is non-sweaty. It's about half the weight of my Giro. Not cheap though at £80! The 2012 version of it is £108 at Wiggle  :o

http://www.farnhamcycles.co.uk/Shop/p/32481-met-stradivarius-ul-helmet-2011/

« Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:28:12 pm »
You really need to try a few different ones on as the different brands seem to have a different fit.

FWIW, I have a Giro Monza that's pretty good. Did the job when I came off on ice before Xmas and whacked my head on the road. It was quickly replaced by Madison (the distributor) under the crash replacement policy.

« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:30:41 pm »
I think it's really about what fits your head. I find Specialized sit a bit high and aren't very comfy. I like Giro better.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #9 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:31:54 pm »
I have up to now been an advocate of not wearing a helmet but am being nagged into wearing one. So to satisfy family and friends I have relented, My only one at the moment is a  heavyish Giro which I carry when I go to Spain but other than that I know little about the qualities. Maybe a lighter weight with more vents would be nice.

Needless to say, less costs more  ;)
You really need to try a few different ones on as the different brands seem to have a different fit.
Agreed -  though unlike some peeps I seem to have a more Specialized-shaped head than Giro  :-\  I think fit can even vary between models from the same maker.  Try (for fit, anyway) before you buy.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #10 on: 19 January, 2012, 09:39:11 pm »
I have a Giro Pneumo which is very comfortable and has lot of vents - I also have a Spiuk which is even better (although I have only ridden with it at the velodrome so far - I keep meaning to pension off the Giro)

BTW Bikepacker - the importer for Spiuk is here in Stratford, there are usually some deals if you call and see them  ;) (I have address details) ... perhaps when you are here on 31 Jan?

Rob

corshamjim

« Reply #11 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:20:11 pm »
I got a Giro Venti because my head it too big for most other helmets I've tried.   :-[  The Venti is so big I have plenty of room to wear a hat under my helmet now which is really handy this time of year.  :thumbsup:

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #12 on: 20 January, 2012, 08:44:48 am »
I recently bought a Bell Solar online from Winstanleys to replace an ancient Raleigh. I have found it surprisingly comfortable and well-ventilated for the price. It was cheap - and to me the construction doesn't appear to differ at all with one four times the price. And it's blue - the same as all the rest of my cycling clobber. I really must do something about that, it's beginning to get a bit weird.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #13 on: 20 January, 2012, 08:45:03 am »
Hi

Here in Western Australia we are legally required to wear a helmet and given the hot summers I have gone with a helmet that vents pretty well and is reasonably light. So for me it has been a Bell Sweep. I suspect I will replace this one with another Bell Sweep.

The Bicycle Helmet Safety Institue is a good resource for things helmets.

Andrew

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #14 on: 20 January, 2012, 08:49:38 am »
I think it's really about what fits your head.

^ This.

IME of the popular brands they all fit different shape heads. Go to a shop and try some on.

The only brand I have tried that fits my head shape is Bell. You may find the same of Giro.
Pen Pusher

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #15 on: 20 January, 2012, 11:18:16 am »
What they said about helmets fitting. If it is to do much good then it should fit.
After that it is about ventilation and looks. I suffer greatly in the heat so try to find helmets with maximal ventilation. That unfortunately costs more.

The one other concern that is increasing in my view is the relatively bulky lump at the back of many road helmets. This can result in more neck injuries than smoother 'skater' type helmets. Then again the risk of actually having a cycle crash where you hit your head is an order of magnitude lower than winning the lottery[1] so it doesn't bother me too much.

[1] any prize, not the main prize.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #16 on: 20 January, 2012, 11:25:48 am »
I wear a helmet primarily for the visor - an ageing Giro Havoc.   It is a bit weighty but take a look at me and my loaded tourer and you'll soon realise that a few grams on the lid is nothing to the few kilograms round my gut!  :D

« Reply #17 on: 20 January, 2012, 11:36:43 am »
Evans - and a few other online retailers (cyclestore too IIRC) - have some of the Specialized lids at about 40 or 50% off at the moment, if they fit you.

Re fitting, I've been through Bell>Spesh>Giro (Havoc too, circa 2002, but the RocLoc's bust) and back to Specialized  - between buying one helmet and the next, the same manufacturer's changed the fit each time  ::-)

« Reply #18 on: 20 January, 2012, 12:16:50 pm »
I rarely wear a helmet, but nowadays when I do (because of being on the MTB or on rides where they are compulsory) I use a Specialized S-Works, which is great - though not crash tested by me.

It's extremely light and very well ventilated, which makes it still comfortable to use in hot weather (maybe of interest to you if you suffer in the heat like I do, and you say you're touring in Spain). Being light means there isn't a lot of material in the helmet, but it has some touches that give more confidence - like having a carbon fibre mesh built into it that should help to hold it together in case of a helmet-cracking smash.

Quite spendy (the normal price is £130!), but can be found much cheaper in sales - Evans currently have the small size on sale at £69. 

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #19 on: 20 January, 2012, 12:41:43 pm »
I have a Giro Pneumo too but only wear it once or twice a year if at all.  As said above best to get yourself to the local evans or whatever to try a few different ones on as we all have different/funny shaped heads.
Then buy it somewhere cheaper  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Si_Co

« Reply #20 on: 20 January, 2012, 12:49:10 pm »
As others have said you've got to go and try a few to get a good fit otherwise it's less than useless.

FWIW I'm a big fan of catlike, i use a whisper, and can testify to it's crash performance, after I totalled the last one I got a direct replacement the next day. Their styling is very much a question of love or hate.

plum

« Reply #21 on: 20 January, 2012, 12:52:07 pm »
... get yourself to the local evans...then buy it somewhere cheaper  :thumbsup:
There is no somewhere cheaper, they do  price matching. Just get to the till, say that you've seen it cheaper, tell them where, they'll do a quick google and sell it to you at the lower price

Actually having said that I just checked the Ts&Cs and it's not quite that simple, but on the two or three occasions I've tried it it's worked.

« Reply #22 on: 20 January, 2012, 12:56:39 pm »
Another voice for the try before you buy brigade. Also, if you don't know it's comfortable it isn't. I once lashed out on a Bell Sweep XC before realising that it touched my head where it shouldn't.

In my experience (YMMV) there is a big difference between the cheap and dear helmets, and I have never found a decently ventilated helmet below around £75.

One name that hasn't yet been mentioned is Kask, who have a fitting adjustment that is very good indeed, and the ventilation in the higer models is excellent, too. Condor are stockists.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #23 on: 20 January, 2012, 01:03:54 pm »
I am a big fan of LAS helmets, if you find a MET suits your head shape then a LAS should do too, the trouble is that most bricks'n'mortar shops don't stock them, so ordering is a risk.

The one I use at the moment is an Istrion, a couple of years old (bought it to replace a helmet damaged in a car crash (it was in the boot and got hit by the bike that was also in the boot).

The downside, as others have said, is that lack of weight costs, the Istrion (which is not the lightest in their range, but not the heaviest either) is, or was £92 from the LBS.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #24 on: 20 January, 2012, 02:18:50 pm »

My cycling is mainly touring both day and longer rides, aiming to do 10,000 miles a year. I do no competitive riding. So some suggestions would be welcome.

I have at least one friend who leaves home, and, returns with a hemet, but during the ride it resides in a hidng place out of sight  :demon: