Author Topic: Suggestion for a helmet  (Read 3478 times)

Re: Suggestion for a helmet
« Reply #25 on: 20 January, 2012, 02:58:29 pm »
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-atmos-helmet-2012/

as it's the most comfortable,lightest,best ventilated of the several I have in the garage & tried over the years.
Beware the Atmos.  I bought one in 2006 for a tour in New Zealand particularly because of the large vents.  However, there is no padding between the top of your head and the underside of the helmet which leads to abrasion and discomfort if you are a little thin in top.  Equally the brow pad is not very substantial.  I had to supplement both.

Best advice is to try before you buy, go for the best fit if you think a plastic hat is needed, and go for the most vents you can get if like me you suffer a bit with heat stress.

border-rider

« Reply #26 on: 20 January, 2012, 03:00:16 pm »
I'm not a consumate helmet-wearer either, but for assorted reasons I have just bought one. I wanted one with lots of airflow and that was light. I plumped for a MET Inferno UL in the end; about £80 from Wiggle even with "20% off", but Planet X are punting them at £54 delivered. It's feather-light and comfy.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #27 on: 20 January, 2012, 03:09:52 pm »
i've tried and liked inferno ul and it's a perfect fit in medium, but just a tad too small with bandana/cap underneath.. as others said above, best to try different makes/models before buying

« Reply #28 on: 21 January, 2012, 11:57:44 am »
Taking up suggestions I have visited some bike shops, tried on some and I am even more confused. Some of the helmets named are very light but look as if I should be cycling at TdF pace. Two of my favourites so far are two in the lower price bracket (always helpful) they are BBB Cerratorre and the Giro Rift. Any thoughts?
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #29 on: 21 January, 2012, 12:15:14 pm »
I agree with all the “buy the one that fits advice”. At the moment I have settled on the Giro Indicator which I think is +/- the Rift. I actually have three; one with lights on for audax (seen me through two PBPs), one for mountain biking and one for triathlon (was fine on Ironman France in the heat). Having paid much more for helmets over the years, I have still found these the best price/fit/comfort helmet that meets the higher approval standards.         
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

PH

« Reply #30 on: 21 January, 2012, 12:54:26 pm »
I've found the pads sometimes don't last as long as the helmet, so cheap readily available replacements are on my criteria.  I seem to have a Specialized shape head and of the current range the Echelon is alright for me.