Author Topic: From touring bike to road bike - help?  (Read 2300 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: From touring bike to road bike - help?
« Reply #25 on: 05 March, 2013, 09:20:51 am »
A -1cm stem is definitely a good idea if the position continues to feel not really comfortable, though it's worth having one or two more test rides with the existing one to make sure.  It'll only be a subtle change, won't make it a sit-up-and-beg job.

Modern drop "anatomic" or "ergo" bars with straight bits in the drops stretches the reach to the brakes from the drop position.  Classic style drop bars are still available.

Having the actual brakes in tip-top condition will help with braking from the hoods as then only a light touch on the lever will be needed.  Maybe it's worth cleaning the rims and sanding the brake pads more often than usual.

Campag Ergos have little wedges in them for "large hands".  Have you removed these?  I have to remove them on both my Campag equipped bikes as I only have little hands for a man.

This doesn't apply to older models, by the way.  There's nothing to remove from my 2006 Ergos.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #26 on: 05 March, 2013, 11:13:16 am »

Campag Ergos have little wedges in them for "large hands".  Have you removed these?  I have to remove them on both my Campag equipped bikes as I only have little hands for a man.

This doesn't apply to older models, by the way.  There's nothing to remove from my 2006 Ergos.

My 2005 Mirage ones do! :)
I guess it varies from model to model.  My 2012 Centaur ones also have them.  Are they common across "modern" Campag?

Edit: (and more on topic).  I struggled for a while to find handlebars which would allow me to brake comfortably from either the hoods or the drops.  I finally found FSA Omega bars, which allow me to do this.  I fit the levers so the hoods are flat with the top section of bar, which gives a good comfortable position in the hoods and allows me to brake comfortably from the drops as well.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #27 on: 05 March, 2013, 12:12:26 pm »
Edit: (and more on topic).  I struggled for a while to find handlebars which would allow me to brake comfortably from either the hoods or the drops.  I finally found FSA Omega bars, which allow me to do this.  I fit the levers so the hoods are flat with the top section of bar, which gives a good comfortable position in the hoods and allows me to brake comfortably from the drops as well.

i had exactly the same problem and the same solution :thumbsup:

« Reply #28 on: 05 March, 2013, 12:41:18 pm »

A photo, side on, of you sat on the bike would be of greater value though.

This gives you some tips on how that should be done (NSFW forum thread) https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=41132.msg786635#msg786635

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 05 March, 2013, 06:32:32 pm »
After a few years riding just flat bars I went back to drops.  I never ever felt as comfortable as previously though the bike had faithfully awaited my return, and, of course, the setup was just as I'd left it.

I found myself moving to a more upright position by shortening the stem and  raising the bars - only about a cm in each case but it helped me enormously.   
Sounds like you taught your body to prefer a more upright position.

Who's to say you couldn't reverse the process?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #30 on: 05 March, 2013, 06:43:43 pm »
My back says so.  :)

« Reply #31 on: 05 March, 2013, 06:52:54 pm »
Have a look at the "reach" of the bars too.
OH was struggling on a long frame even with an ugly 50 mm stem.... but then wee noticed the bar reach was 120mm.
Changing to a 70mm reach bar meant she was more comfortable with an 80 mm stem.