Author Topic: building up a Karate Monkey  (Read 4278 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: building up a Karate Monkey
« Reply #25 on: 26 June, 2013, 08:48:58 am »
Bah, it seems as if the headtube isn't square.  No matter what I do the headset always has play in it.  It's a new Hope headset so it's not the part.  The frame is new but has previously had a headset fitted.  I guess the previous headset fitting didn't include facing it!

So it will be going to the LBS at some point soon

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #26 on: 26 June, 2013, 01:43:55 pm »
On the minus side I am unable to remember the correct way to fit a simple thing like a headset

Once I looked at the diagram on Parktool I thought hang on a minute, I don't have a 3mm gap there!

Added the gap, did the preload on the top cap and the bearing wobble went away.  Hurrah

So on the plus side no expensive trip to the bike shop required!!!

« Reply #27 on: 26 June, 2013, 02:48:14 pm »
This is why I get my LBS to fit headsets  ;D
Nuns, no sense of humour

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #28 on: 29 June, 2013, 07:14:44 pm »
The 16T sprocket and the in line gear adjuster arrived.  So I got those bits added and went for a ride, gear changing a bit better and the 16T gives a bigger gear.  Found a nice unmetalled road I'd not been done before.  The bike is so heavy that it doesn't do sustained climbs great.  But has a load of momentum and the big tyres ignore all the pot holes and gravel so on crappy laney hills it's half way up before you notice you are actually on an ascent.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #29 on: 30 June, 2013, 11:14:56 am »
As well as this lot

Build at this stage has 42mm Schwalbe Mondials ( 710g each haha ), rear wheel is a Shimano R450, gears are Alfine 32 x 19 sprocket (far too low, gonna get a 16 sprocket)

Giant saddle bag is a Carradice Super C on a SQR uplift block

Other stuff is as mentioned up thread, Nidd Saddle, Rigida Taurus front wheel, BB7 mechanical disk brakes, Ragley Luxy bars, Jtek bar end shifter, cheap touring triple with only the middle ring and a Hope bash guard fitted, BMX chain

I have added an in line jagwire cable adjuster and a 16T sprocket. 

An adjuster is a non optional extra that you MUST have to make the Jtek bar end shifter operate correctly.  The Alfine rear gear has no adjuster on it.   The Jtek shifter has no adjuster on it.   It is crucial to make the gears work properly to line up a couple of indicators on the hub "join".  It is not easy (near impossible) to do this with clamping and unclamping the nut and bolt that slot into the join, an adjuster is required.

The 16T sprocket gives approx 30 to 90 inch gears with the 32T chainring

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #30 on: 21 May, 2014, 09:57:02 am »

Here it is finished after a few months use

Final setup includes A719 Mavic 36h wheel build, Schwalbe Mondial 42mm Tyres, 29er mudguards and a rack

Next plan is to ruin it by converting to fixed gear.