Author Topic: Avid BB7's  (Read 4127 times)

Avid BB7's
« on: 20 November, 2014, 09:13:36 am »
oh boy I'm on form this morning :facepalm:

right these brake set ups that are on ebay for 40 quid from Taiwan are they the genuine thing or are they knock off's  they appear to sell a lot of them and get pretty good feedback, it's just that I took the gamble on  jagwire brake kit, well I didn't expect it to be genuine for £3
but you can hope ;D ok so the outer cable had jagwire stamped on it but none of the end caps ferrules or what ever you want to call them had jagwire on them and the real deal does. Also the outer cable rather than being spiral had the wires running parallel (ykwim) which I thought was used for gear cables, any way what's 3 quid these days the price of a pint in some of these effluent home counties, but 40 quid to me could be mowing 4 lawns which aint happening this time of year  :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Avid BB7's
« Reply #1 on: 20 November, 2014, 09:21:18 am »
BB7's are a great brake - I've picked up sets from Taiwan for a similar price with no problem. Suspect they fell out the back door of the Avid factory or a surplus to requirement from Trek, Giant etc.

Not so sure about your Jagwires though. Having said that I've got BB7's on 21/2 bikes and use what ever cable and outer comes to hand again with no problems

« Reply #2 on: 20 November, 2014, 09:40:11 am »
Yes I must admit as I've been watching them for quite a while now, they do appear to come and go in cycles (see what I did there) ;)
which I suppose you could say is in line with production runs?? oh well I suppose if they have nearly 100% feed back after selling several thousands they can't be all that bad, right??

« Reply #3 on: 20 November, 2014, 10:39:40 am »
£40 for one or two?

Edit - These? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Avid-BB7-MTN-Mechanical-Disc-Brake-Caliper-Front-Rear-/281500206907?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item418ab8473b

I'd be more inclined to spend £2 more and get them from Germany. Unless I was getting two for £40, then I'd pay my money and take my chances. I've bought a fair bit of Far East stuff in the last couple of years and 90% of the time it's been fine.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 20 November, 2014, 11:08:57 am »
Also the outer cable rather than being spiral had the wires running parallel (ykwim) which I thought was used for gear cables ...

The parallel wires style should in theory be better (provided the inner is running freely - a brake inner in a gear outer might be a tight fit) but in practice would make no difference.
As long as you have a tool that can cut it of course.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #5 on: 20 November, 2014, 12:17:39 pm »
Also the outer cable rather than being spiral had the wires running parallel (ykwim) which I thought was used for gear cables ...

The parallel wires style should in theory be better (provided the inner is running freely - a brake inner in a gear outer might be a tight fit) but in practice would make no difference.
As long as you have a tool that can cut it of course.

Brake cables are internally spiral-wrap to resist the rather high force you get under braking  - remove the plastic and it'd still work. I'd have thought spongy at best, and dangerous if you get any damage to the plastic covering, 'cos that's all that's stopping it pinging apart...

Euan Uzami

« Reply #6 on: 20 November, 2014, 12:24:14 pm »
if there's one part of the bike I wouldn't risk the possibility of getting a fake one.....

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #7 on: 20 November, 2014, 04:33:15 pm »
Eww!

Get proper brakes, proper tyres and scrimp on the rest.

TRP hy/rd for stoppers and a good set of quality Vittoria or Continental tyres for me.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8 on: 20 November, 2014, 04:41:59 pm »
Nothing wrong with BB7s! Easy to set up, great modulation and stop me fine!

« Reply #9 on: 20 November, 2014, 04:49:10 pm »
I bought BB7s on ebay from fibica_com in 2012.  They were fine.  That seller still seems to be selling, but not quite as cheap as the ones linked above.

« Reply #10 on: 20 November, 2014, 05:05:52 pm »
Nothing wrong with BB7s! Easy to set up, great modulation and stop me fine!

So do mine :thumbsup:

And that's with my load sat on the bike hurtling downhill rapidly ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 20 November, 2014, 05:34:39 pm »
I bought BB7s on ebay from fibica_com in 2012.  They were fine.  That seller still seems to be selling, but not quite as cheap as the ones linked above.

I bought some at a similar price from a seller who no longer seems to exist in 2011.  They're fine.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #12 on: 20 November, 2014, 06:15:03 pm »
Sorry, my post wasn't meant to come across as a critique of BB7's, just that I'd be wary of buying stoppers from Taiwan, although thinking about it a lot of Shimano stuff is manufactured there. Plus I'm not a big fan of fleabay either, which probably results in me paying a bit too much for stuff from UK stores.

« Reply #13 on: 20 November, 2014, 06:25:37 pm »
Oh I have the tools, that's the best bit or one of the best bits about building the bike it gives me the perfect excuse for buying more tools, however I'm having problems justifying 200 quid on a park truing stand, think I might have ago at making my own :)

well this is a problem I have "aunty" a lot of stuff that we pay premium prices for are manufactured in the far east and for peanuts, and it's not just bike stuff, ironically that bastion of the good 'ol US of A Harley Davidson made in america an an all that, had to swallow there pride a while back and had to admit that yes they did get some of their parts made in Taiwan,  It really makes me wonder why bike parts cost so much anyway enough waffle, I've put me money where my mouth is and clicked on "buy it now" we shall see.

« Reply #14 on: 20 November, 2014, 07:25:53 pm »
Eww!

Get proper brakes, proper tyres and scrimp on the rest.

TRP hy/rd for stoppers and a good set of quality Vittoria or Continental tyres for me.

maybe---having tried hy/rd for a year with CAMPAGNOLO levers I came to conclusion that yes they are great stoppers BUT are , despite TRP stating otherwise, not truly compatible with Campag---to get correct Campag lever feel---on TRP advice---had to `top up` hydraulic fluid; this was great until on long descents when brakes heated up levers locked out and pads rubbed. I am now using BB7 which not as powerful but don`t lockout after long descents

But I do agree about Vittoria (Open Pave III 27 ) tyres  ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #15 on: 20 November, 2014, 07:41:50 pm »
Oh I have the tools, that's the best bit or one of the best bits about building the bike it gives me the perfect excuse for buying more tools, however I'm having problems justifying 200 quid on a park truing stand, think I might have ago at making my own :)

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-truing-stand/aid:553818

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-centering-set-iii/aid:553822

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/avid-ball-bearing-7-road--disc-brake/aid:642160

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #16 on: 20 November, 2014, 08:10:39 pm »

maybe---having tried hy/rd for a year with CAMPAGNOLO levers I came to conclusion that yes they are great stoppers BUT are , despite TRP stating otherwise, not truly compatible with Campag---to get correct Campag lever feel---on TRP advice---had to `top up` hydraulic fluid; this was great until on long descents when brakes heated up levers locked out and pads rubbed. I am now using BB7 which not as powerful but don`t lockout after long descents

They've upgraded the reservoir and made it larger, so I'm hoping that will make things a lot better. My new front has arrived today and I'm planning on giving it a good 1000km try out next week on the Cambrian jalopy.

What do you think was causing them to lock out ?

« Reply #17 on: 20 November, 2014, 08:42:29 pm »
@dale I have looked at that truing stand but thought it looked like it might be a bit flimsy, do you or anyone else know better ?

I'd wondered what BB7 stood for now I know, fiendish blighter's ;)

« Reply #18 on: 20 November, 2014, 08:54:44 pm »
@dale I have looked at that truing stand but thought it looked like it might be a bit flimsy, do you or anyone else know better ?

I'd wondered what BB7 stood for now I know, fiendish blighter's ;)

They're apparently really good. Lots of people on Singletrackworld rate them. Can't really go wrong for £30/40 (Compared to the price of others) I suppose.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #19 on: 20 November, 2014, 09:20:27 pm »
If you want to build a truing stand, then get Roger Musson's Wheelpro book, it includes detailed plans.

« Reply #20 on: 20 November, 2014, 10:07:55 pm »
thanks fuaran I've already got it, excellent book and you get updates as well!!

very true Dale, anyway no rush due to the lack of spending tokens right now, they've been allocated elsewhere bloody visa card ;)

« Reply #21 on: 21 November, 2014, 07:32:45 am »

They've upgraded the reservoir and made it larger, so I'm hoping that will make things a lot better. My new front has arrived today and I'm planning on giving it a good 1000km try out next week on the Cambrian jalopy.

What I think was happening -----overheating brakes > expansion brake fluid in the small reservoir> pushed pads back onto rotor. Once cooled down the pads backed off the rotors to normal position. Interesting learn they`ve now  ::-)modified reservoir------especially as TRP in correspondence with me had always said they`re fine with Campag, just top up reservoir !!!
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #22 on: 21 November, 2014, 09:41:00 am »
There's a bigger reservoir and it looks like they've modified the diaphragm as well.

We're you using the original pads ?

« Reply #23 on: 21 November, 2014, 09:51:39 am »

What I think was happening -----overheating brakes > expansion brake fluid in the small reservoir> pushed pads back onto rotor. Once cooled down the pads backed off the rotors to normal position. Interesting learn they`ve now  ::-)modified reservoir------especially as TRP in correspondence with me had always said they`re fine with Campag, just top up reservoir !!!

Surely the "correct Campag lever feel" you refer to is just your preference of set-up and what rim brakes feel like compared to disc?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #24 on: 21 November, 2014, 01:34:14 pm »
Lever feel etc----No--it isn`t. Issue was that the cable travel / lever ratio on Campag is not same as SRAM / Shimano; therefore the Campag lever gets pulled almost to bars with Hyrd original setup; it is not possible to compensate for this by tightening up on cable as this then closes the reservoir port hole resulting in a `closed ` brake system which rapidly locks up. Only way to get a better Campag lever travel was to top up reservoirs. Hyrd is designed to act as an `open` hydraulic system as I understand it---when lever is pulled the piston moves over a small vent hole, closing it and then pushing pads in. Tightening cable moves piston in, closing vent hole

Pads---both with originals and replacement better ones