Author Topic: Re-stitching saddlebag  (Read 1942 times)

Re-stitching saddlebag
« on: 10 September, 2015, 03:55:24 pm »
The stitching has come away on my topeak saddle bag and it is now out of warranty.

Before I go and buy a new one I was wondering if anyone could advise if it's repairable?  No idea how easy these things are to re-stitch and I'm a total amateur with a needle and thread.

Advice welcome!

Here's the problem:

Up the hills and round the bends

Re: Re-stitching saddlebag
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2015, 04:04:14 pm »
Use contact adhesive ? A 600km Audax badge and adhesive repaired my carradice  ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2015, 04:05:46 pm »
Use contact adhesive ? A 600km Audax badge and adhesive repaired my carradice  ;D

I was thinking of araldite, just never used it on fabric before.  If you say it works well I shall give it a go!

« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2015, 04:09:20 pm »
The stitching has come away on my topeak saddle bag and it is now out of warranty.

Before I go and buy a new one I was wondering if anyone could advise if it's repairable?  No idea how easy these things are to re-stitch and I'm a total amateur with a needle and thread.

Advice welcome!

Here's the problem:

Hi jh.  The material that the bag and the strap/straps is made from will not tolerate hand stitching/sewing work.  It is something that would need to be put onto an industrial sewing machine.  To carry out the repair correctly,the lining on the lid would need to be picked -undone and then sewn back into place.

A quick and just as affective repair could probably be carried out by machining straight through the lid & the lining BUT it could restrict the use of any pockets/compartments that are sewn into the lid.
A local upholsterer is the best bet unless you have a cobbler that has a heavy sewing machine.

Where is it that you are situated - I might be able to recommend  an upholsterer to you.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2015, 04:13:34 pm »
Hi jh.  The material that the bag and the strap/straps is made from will not tolerate hand stitching/sewing work.  It is something that would need to be put onto an industrial sewing machine.  To carry out the repair correctly,the lining on the lid would need to be picked -undone and then sewn back into place.

A quick and just as affective repair could probably be carried out by machining straight through the lid & the lining BUT it could restrict the use of any pockets/compartments that are sewn into the lid.
A local upholsterer is the best bet unless you have a cobbler that has a heavy sewing machine.

Where is it that you are situated - I might be able to recommend  an upholsterer to you.

A replacement bag can be had for little over a tenner so probably not worth repairing.  I'm located near Matlock.

Looking at the inside it is stitched all of the way through including the plastic reinforcement panel.

Si_Co

« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2015, 04:16:37 pm »
same bag, same problem here. My solution is cable ties, using a bradawl poke a couple of holes through strap, bag and plastic thing in the roof.

« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2015, 04:20:48 pm »
areldite is far too rigid, something like shoo goo would be better.

However you could just sew it. Strong needles, strong thread, easily bought from shops selling sewing supplies.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2015, 06:35:54 pm »
'ave a go at fixin' it man, for goodness sake ::-). the holes are already there. get some thickish waxed / cotton thread, or even strong thick nylon, a largish needle, and a thimble, and a pair of pliers.

'CUT' a length of thread , about 10", thread the needle and pull about 3" thro. Then stick your finger in your ear, any ear, and wiggle it about a bit, then retract said finger and hold the eye of the needle , with thread looped thro it, with your 'waxy finger and thumb, then rotate the needle, and pull away slightly as you do, to twine the thread together. ( or dubbin', or proofhide).
then at the other end tie a knot at the end, then tie another knot at the end so it knots over the first, to make a bigger knot.
Find first hole in object, and push thro, with thimble, then pull out t'other side with pliers, till it comes to the knot. Dont pull too hard, or you'll snap the thread. then back up opposite way, but dont pull it too tight this time leaving a small loop, then thread back down again, but pass the needle thro the loop you left, then pull tight. then carry on.
Do the loop thing every 4-5 stiches, and at the end. and BINGO, saved yourself a TENNER.

just remember

''A man who has never made a mistake, has never made anything''

« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2015, 06:54:38 pm »
same bag, same problem here. My solution is cable ties, using a bradawl poke a couple of holes through strap, bag and plastic thing in the roof.

Bring it down or give it to me next week, I've some extra strong thread and it's repairable if it's like the one in the picture.  Also if there's a cobbler near by, they will have a machine that will repair it

« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2015, 07:10:35 pm »
Relatively small diameter bolt with large washer either side of hole made in the strap and into the bag. Bolt from inside and secure with lock nuts on the outside. Silicon sealant makes it waterproof.

Tried and tested method!

« Reply #10 on: 10 September, 2015, 08:48:08 pm »
Cobblers?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: 10 September, 2015, 08:51:39 pm »
I don't have any nearby cobblers unfortunately.

I'm still put off stitching it, I'm fine with mechanical stuff but for some reason anything with a needle and thread seems daunting! 

But I think the glue or bolt & washer idea might be worth a punt.

I would have thought araldite might be ok as the area it's on should not need to flex much anyway.

Will muse some more...

« Reply #12 on: 10 September, 2015, 09:05:58 pm »
Marj has made an offer you cant refuse!

« Reply #13 on: 10 September, 2015, 09:13:42 pm »
Marj has made an offer you cant refuse!

I believe that offer was made to Si S!

« Reply #14 on: 10 September, 2015, 09:15:19 pm »
And so it was ..... ::-)

« Reply #15 on: 10 September, 2015, 09:28:38 pm »
Some of this stuff looks like it might fit the bill.

Si_Co

« Reply #16 on: 11 September, 2015, 07:01:59 am »

Bring it down or give it to me next week, I've some extra strong thread and it was repairable until some monkey attacked it with a bradawl repairable if it's like the one in the picture.  Also if there's a cobbler near by, they will have a machine that will repair it

FTFY. It's fine now I've stopped wrapping a cable lock round it.

BTW jhob - Marj isn't that far from you  :demon:

Sorry to keep hijacking your threads!

« Reply #17 on: 11 September, 2015, 08:24:10 am »
I lying in bed last night thinking about this and I reckon some of that trainer glue and with a zip-tie around where the end of the stitching would be on each side should sort it.  So that's my plan of attack!

« Reply #18 on: 11 September, 2015, 08:39:46 am »
Washers and pop rivets.

« Reply #19 on: 11 September, 2015, 10:18:21 am »
Washers and pop rivets.

I've never really understood how pop rivets worked before, just watched a couple of youtube videos and I now understand!

Think I might pop down our local hardware store and pick one up later. 

Would you put recommend putting a washer on top and bottom?

« Reply #20 on: 11 September, 2015, 11:11:13 am »
Pop riveter purchased!  Now to locate suitable sized washers...

« Reply #21 on: 11 September, 2015, 04:01:10 pm »

You could even end up setting up a saddlebag repair business  ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #22 on: 11 September, 2015, 04:34:14 pm »

You could even end up setting up a saddlebag repair business  ;D

A highly lucrative business, I'm sure!

« Reply #23 on: 11 September, 2015, 06:02:04 pm »
I think we have a pop riveting win!

The rivets weren't long enough to use with a washer (or two) however I could use quite a big rivet to give a decent bit of flange to hold it in place.

Will see how it holds out on the road but certainly seems very secure having given it a tug.

« Reply #24 on: 11 September, 2015, 06:24:48 pm »
UPDATE: Pop riveting fail.  Need longer pop rivets. And washers.