Author Topic: Surly Long Haul Trucker  (Read 8199 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Surly Long Haul Trucker
« Reply #25 on: 15 November, 2008, 10:24:09 pm »
Update: the Thorn is sold and I'll order the 56cm LHT - the standover height is about 1/4" taller than the Thorn, so there's nothing in it.  The LBS quoted for Hamsterskins, so they'll have to be changed - I think I might also have the new Deore chainset rather than VTiagra, since 48 x 12 is quite enough for me, and it would then definitely all work in terms of chainline.  I insisted on handbuilt wheels, which will be Deore hubs on Mavic Open Sport rims with DT Comp spokes, done in the shop.  Dura-Ace bar-end shifters.

Does everyone get them in green?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

bikenerd

« Reply #26 on: 16 November, 2008, 09:46:55 am »
Ison distribution are the distributors of Surly in the UK.
They list frames as being available in red, green or blue.  Primary colours ftw!

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #27 on: 16 November, 2008, 10:18:36 am »
The new sand colour (on the Surly website) looks very nice. I'd hang on for that if I were you.
a great mind thinks alike

rogerzilla

« Reply #28 on: 16 November, 2008, 05:54:27 pm »
I have a Brompton that colour.  I think it would show the rust badly on an all-weather bike (it shows the rust on the Brommie, which has never been ridden in the wet...their powdercoating is hopeless).

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #29 on: 16 November, 2008, 06:06:49 pm »
Compared to the Thorn?  It has bigger wheels, and the Nomad is designed for heavily loaded riding, so is twitchy unladen.

Note: Not all Nomads are the same. I believe that Rogers was one of the earlier ones with a horizontal top tube. They had a reputation for being a bit twitchy when unloaded, especially if fitted with narrow tyres. I have one of the later Nomads with a sloping top tube and the geometry is different to the earlier Nomads. It is very steady to ride, whether loaded or unloaded.

rogerzilla

« Reply #30 on: 16 November, 2008, 06:14:57 pm »
It is indeed an early one.  I think they were trying to minimise lean steer, which is a worthy objective for a bike that is to be loaded heavily, but makes it all floppy for normal riding.