Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Arts and Entertainment / Re: Radio 4Extra WTF
« Last post by hellymedic on Today at 10:23:17 pm »
I’ve never cared much for bagpipes.
Being serenaded by them at around 11pm on The Daylight 600, when I was tired & needing a little peace & quiet, did NOT add to the pleasures of the ride...
Poor old Leeds United are suffering at the hands o QPR and now must almost certainly go into the play-offs. Ipswich need only 2 points from 3 games to overtake them.
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Last post by PeterM on Today at 09:44:12 pm »
Colin Stetson at the Barbican. He played four solo pieces, then performed the soundtrack from Hereditary with the London Contemporary Orchestra. Which featured an upside down bicycle
The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by rogerzilla on Today at 09:22:55 pm »
Dirty Cash - The Adventures Of Stevie V
Rides and Touring / Re: Have you been out today?
« Last post by perpetual dan on Today at 09:10:44 pm »
Dumbarton to Loch Earn. An enjoyably scenic ride, and 100km with a camping load wasn't fast.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by quixoticgeek on Today at 09:09:04 pm »

Be very careful about gate keeping.

I finished my bike end of November 2017. I did my first 200km Audax on the last weekend of January 2018. Essentially 2 months from commuting to 200k.

I see people talking about average speed of 25kph. My average speed on a BRM is 20kph. This gives 10 hours moving, 3.5 for eating. That's plenty fast enough to finish in the time limit.

Put some faster tyres on your bike and go ride an Audax. Maybe you have to hop on a train 100km in. You've not lost much and you'll learn a lot. Or maybe you do the ride in 13 hours and sign up for another one while you have a beer at the finish.

And to the OP. You're more than welcome at my Audax events in Amsterdam, not the easiest to get to from Gravesend, but come over, make a good holiday if it and explore another country.

A member of this forum did my 200k last March on an upright single speed omafiets. The bike you have is fine
 Just ride it. If you want, stick better tyres on (this is a big improvement worth making). Else ride.

J

The Pub / Re: Flights of Fancy
« Last post by TheLurker on Today at 09:01:23 pm »
Indoor Scale Nats last weekend.  The newsreels haven't started to appear yet, but there's some stills of the FF models starting here...

The Pub / Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Last post by Beardy on Today at 08:53:08 pm »
I watched a AvE YouTube video on the release of his view collective designed snap-off blade utility knife. Unfortunately the postage from canukstania wasn’t silly money (even if the knife _might_ have been).

Guess what I’m awaiting the delivery of!
Further and Faster / New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by citoyen on Today at 08:23:04 pm »
Apologies for any potential bunkum spouted.  ;)  I was kind of assuming since the OP was thinking about joining a cycling club & doing Audax, that they had resonable road riding experience to build on.

OP has mentioned their usual rides being no more than 1.5 miles and doing a 4.4 mile ride to Cobham in “under 30 minutes”.

Distance and speed both need a lot of work. And for that, Cyclopark would be fine. But there’s no substitute for getting out on real roads.

I may be underestimating their previous experience of road riding but I only have what has been said in this thread to go on.

That said, I assume the OP must be reasonably confident on roads - Gravesend itself is not very cyclist friendly…

Fortunately, there are some nice lanes once you get out of town. Also some nice hills, which is another thing you don’t get at Cyclopark. [ETA: I see Kim has already made this point]

Inner tubes should be very low down their list of priorities.
A bike mounted on a turbo trainer is remarkably easy to do work on. You can also test it while sat on it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10