Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 342211 times)

Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #2350 on: 13 January, 2023, 01:15:45 pm »
Which streaming do you have?

Netflix, Prime and Disney. ALL THE STREAMS.

(This will possibly cease if/when they & Spotify tighten up on family accounts)

I liked Motherland Fort Salem on Prime although I think it is YA rather than oldie like me.

YA works for me. I'm looking for tosh which requires no intellectual engagement.

« Reply #2351 on: 13 January, 2023, 09:07:34 pm »
I think we might try the first of the new Ken Burns' "The US and the Holocaust".

I watched the first episode last night.  Grim , and relevant.  The same language is still being used today about refugees & "other" people. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2352 on: 14 January, 2023, 01:37:06 pm »
I think we might try the first of the new Ken Burns' "The US and the Holocaust".

I watched the first episode last night.  Grim , and relevant.  The same language is still being used today about refugees & "other" people.
Yup. And I learned quite a lot.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2353 on: 14 January, 2023, 02:11:56 pm »

Yup. And I learned quite a lot.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/sep/19/ken-burns-interview-holocaust-docuseries

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2354 on: 17 January, 2023, 10:14:02 pm »
For the benefit of anyone who hasn't already pirated[1] Our Flag Means Death, you can now get your silly low-budget historical comedy with lashings and lashings of unexpected queer representation on that BBC that they have now:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0dk8v81

[1] Ba-dum, and indeed, tish.

Guybrush Threepwood, much?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2355 on: 17 January, 2023, 10:22:28 pm »
For the benefit of anyone who hasn't already pirated[1] Our Flag Means Death, you can now get your silly low-budget historical comedy with lashings and lashings of unexpected queer representation on that BBC that they have now:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0dk8v81

[1] Ba-dum, and indeed, tish.

Guybrush Threepwood, much?

Heh, now you mention it...

« Reply #2356 on: 18 January, 2023, 06:39:07 pm »
Another not so much entertainment as information, Indian; The Modi Question. Compare with Israel and the Palestinians, or Myanmar and the Rohingya. Or maybe the Nazis and the Jews, a common enemy.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2357 on: 19 January, 2023, 05:43:22 pm »
Another not so much entertainment as information, Indian; The Modi Question. Compare with Israel and the Palestinians, or Myanmar and the Rohingya. Or maybe the Nazis and the Jews, a common enemy.

I've not watched this yet.  The world is depressing enough.  https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/1/19/india-slams-bbc-film-on-role-of-indias-modi-in-gujarat-riots

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2358 on: 19 January, 2023, 06:31:17 pm »
You don't want to follow this fella then https://twitter.com/cjwerleman and https://www.youtube.com/TheCJWerlemanShow

His coverage what is happening to Muslims around the world and especially India, is a grim read.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2359 on: 20 January, 2023, 08:25:20 pm »

And tonight we watched the second. Unmissable and horrific.

« Reply #2360 on: 21 January, 2023, 09:52:04 pm »
I’ve just binge watched all three episodes.
Cruella Braverman should be tied to a chair and forced to watch it.
Though she probably still won’t learn anything from it.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #2361 on: 22 January, 2023, 08:20:54 pm »
Fight the Power - How Hip-Hop Changed the World. An excellent documentary putting hip-hop into cultural context.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #2362 on: 22 January, 2023, 08:32:10 pm »
Fight the Power - How Hip-Hop Changed the World. An excellent documentary putting hip-hop into cultural context.
Haven't watched it yet, but looking forward to it.

« Reply #2363 on: 23 January, 2023, 09:36:59 am »
I’ve just binge watched all three episodes.
Cruella Braverman should be tied to a chair and forced to watch it.
Though she probably still won’t learn anything from it.

Worse, she probably WOULD learn from it.

Telling some people to study the methods of the nazis (and people who behave like them), is counter productive.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2364 on: 27 January, 2023, 08:46:21 am »
"Bodies"

Medical drama, centering on the 'doctors protect doctors' culture.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2365 on: 27 January, 2023, 11:46:13 am »
We also just watched the BBC documentary on Modi, and his apparent encouragement of, and possible complicity in, Hindu violence against Muslims. Good televison, but rather depressing.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2366 on: 28 January, 2023, 12:16:06 pm »
I watched all of The Rings Of Power this week.  The story is bobbins but it looks absolutely fantastic.  It has all the feel of the Peter Jackson films*.

*not The Hobbit, which was shit
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2367 on: 31 January, 2023, 10:57:38 pm »
Currently midway through a cheeky download of "War & Peace"  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3910804/reviews?ref_=tt_urv   

Rather good.  Is there a book ?   

« Reply #2368 on: 01 February, 2023, 08:36:01 am »
Playing catchup with Robson Green's Weekend Escapes - series about NE England and Yorkshire.
Excellent scenery and plenty of food. (plus celebs I've never heard of).
Roads you can bike up and down if you do some of Andy or Deans events.....

ian

« Reply #2369 on: 01 February, 2023, 09:30:24 pm »
Enjoyed Severance, occasionally a bit too much style over substance but the style was well done. Now rebadged my department as macro-data refiners. I'm sure it'll turn out to be something innocent. Fine cliffhanger. Better make another series (thanks Netflix for 1899). Is it me, or is Christopher Walken always terrifying, and more so when he's not even trying?

Also loved Slow Horses, not much of a spy fan normally, but Jackson Lamb is inspirational. Plus what I've learned about management from Jackson Lamb means I don't need to do that MBA now.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2370 on: 01 February, 2023, 10:04:20 pm »
Also loved Slow Horses, not much of a spy fan normally, but Jackson Lamb is inspirational. Plus what I've learned about management from Jackson Lamb means I don't need to do that MBA now.

Seconded.  The problem with spy stories is that, no matter how compelling the characters, they inevitably deteriorate into a complex web of secrets, lies and double-crossings.  As a computer programmer I deal with far too much of that sort of thing already.

One series was excellent.  Two was starting to drag, and it definitely doesn't need a third.

Kudos for an unexpected banger of a theme tune (I looked it up, the reason it sounds so much like Mick Jagger is because it's actually Mick Jagger).  Best one since Okkupert.

ian

« Reply #2371 on: 01 February, 2023, 10:11:22 pm »
Yes, the second series, while very good, wasn't quite up to that of the first. They're already slipping into the Jackson having a heart of gold under all that scorn and no, he's a monster, a splendid monster, and he's our kind of monster. By series six he'll be using Powerpoint to deliver DEI training and encouraging his team to include their preferred pronouns in their email signatures.

« Reply #2372 on: 02 February, 2023, 06:41:08 am »
Enjoyed Severance, occasionally a bit too much style over substance but the style was well done.

I was recommended this by a friend. I managed about 8 minutes before I decided that I just couldn't be bothered. That is not unusual for me. I think I just get fed up of Americans.

« Reply #2373 on: 03 February, 2023, 03:16:01 pm »
The problem with spy stories is that, no matter how compelling the characters, they inevitably deteriorate into a complex web of secrets, lies and double-crossings.  As a computer programmer I deal with far too much of that sort of thing already.

PML

Too, too true.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2374 on: 04 February, 2023, 06:48:31 pm »
Catching up with some older recordings, Tokyo Vice a dramatised memoirs of an American journalist working on a Tokyo newspaper. Really enjoying it.