Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a coffee machine?  (Read 14370 times)

Re: Can anyone recommend a coffee machine?
« Reply #25 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:00:32 pm »
This is all madness.  People get obsessed by coffee and end up spending a fortune and worrying about everything.

Get a Delonghi BAR14 for £60 and stick Illy or Lavassa pre ground espresso in it and it will make decent coffee. it even has a frother on the side to froth your milk for capachino (which is espresso + frothy milk).  Once of these will blow the spots of chain coffee shop coffee.  Alternatively get one of those little stove top single cup makers they work well as well and cost <£20.

Talk to people about coffee and its like talking on here about bikes people will tell you that you cant get away with anything less than a titanium frame and utegra when what most people really need is a decent quality bike rather than the BSO that supermarkets sell.

If you get the coffee bug then splash out on a burr grinder and an expensive machine but really you don't have to unless you are trying to replicate that perfect shot you once had in that extra special cafe in that little town near Florence.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #26 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:03:24 pm »
I want a Gaggia Rancilio La Marzocco, though.  You probably will eventually, too  :)

FTFY  ;D
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #27 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:03:37 pm »
No, you'll want a La Spaziale with a twin boiler and then want a commercial La Spaziale (£3k). Coffee machines at UK&nbsp;Coffee&nbsp;Suppliers&nbsp;-&nbsp;Happy&nbsp;Donkey or
   Espresso Machines, Coffee Makers, Grinders, Coffee Accessories For Gourmet Coffee Drinks

Price however is not a guarantee of quality. It's water/steam/electrics - not a great mix. Avoid anything with led screens and scroll thro' menus in a choice of languages. It's about constant high pressure and water temp

But, decide what you wan to drink. A coffee machine is not a chocolate maker altho' it can provide steam and hot water. Oh, and who will be cleaning it and the knock-box for the grounds?

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #28 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:09:53 pm »
No, you'll want a La Spaziale with a twin boiler.

They're very, very, good -- really, my only complaint is that it's running off a tank rather than plumbed in, and that's more a matter of kitchen-space/layout than anything else -- but I'd still go for a GS3 given an unlimited budget.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #29 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:13:23 pm »
Coffee is a popular forum theme:

I think that's true pretty much anywhere that people of a vaguely-technical bent congregate.

If you want to re-balance the force, you could always find a coffee forum (plenty to choose from) and start a "how do I get a decent shot on an Audax" thread  :demon:

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #30 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:16:44 pm »
Another good place to get really freshly-roasted beans:

http://www.hasbean.co.uk/

I'm currently liking their Blake espresso blend.  Also a great range of unblended coffees.

simonp

« Reply #31 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:18:04 pm »
I have a delonghi machine in the loft. Free to a good home.

mr endon

« Reply #32 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:18:27 pm »
Have you considered the Balkan/Greek/Bosnian/Turkish/Camp Cowboy method?

simonp

« Reply #33 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:20:46 pm »
Best coffee I ever had: hand roasted and hand ground over a bar-b-que by an Ethiopian woman of my acquaintance. It was nuclear.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:21:24 pm »

*pricks up ears*

An espresso machine...?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #35 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:23:50 pm »
Now you only need to find a source of fresh roasted coffee. I'm really lucky. A local delicatessen roasts once a week, and has a really good range.

Its an obsession I tell you.
UNION HAND-ROASTED | Business

They roast the beans when you order them. You'll not get them fresher than that without roasting them yourself. Can't fault the quality or the variety of coffees either.

I've pretty much settled on Union Revelation as my go-to espresso blend.

« Reply #36 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:26:16 pm »

*pricks up ears*

An espresso machine...?

They are good. Take a while to get up to pressure and loose pressure after a couple of cups but hey how many do you want instantly you aren't running a cafe. Not tamping too tight seems to be the secret with these. Well it is with mine. Firm but dont ram it down.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

simonp

« Reply #37 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:57:25 pm »

*pricks up ears*

An espresso machine...?

Yep. I'll dig it out and let you know the model. As you asked first, if you want it, it's yours.

« Reply #38 on: 31 January, 2011, 11:30:49 pm »
Coffee is a popular forum theme:

I think that's true pretty much anywhere that people of a vaguely-technical bent congregate.

If you want to re-balance the force, you could always find a coffee forum (plenty to choose from) and start a "how do I get a decent shot on an Audax" thread  :demon:

I asked it here because I know I will get a whole range of answers for a whole range of budgets, and I will end up being educated on what I should one day aspire to own! I wanted to avoid inadvertently buying a 'BSO' of the coffee world  ;D

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #39 on: 31 January, 2011, 11:38:48 pm »
I asked it here because I know I will get a whole range of answers for a whole range of budgets, and I will end up being educated on what I should one day aspire to own! I wanted to avoid inadvertently buying a 'BSO' of the coffee world  ;D

Hmm, can I claim "EMSO" as acronym-of-the-day?

« Reply #40 on: 31 January, 2011, 11:49:50 pm »
Damnit I am having trouble finding the Dualit grinder for less than £79 anywhere!

mr endon

« Reply #41 on: 31 January, 2011, 11:53:07 pm »
Anyone got a spare coffee machine with integral GPS mouldering in the attic?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #42 on: 01 February, 2011, 12:42:19 am »

She will be mine... Oh yes, she will be mine.

simonp

« Reply #43 on: 01 February, 2011, 12:56:03 am »
Rhys W's true identity:

« Reply #44 on: 01 February, 2011, 04:05:11 am »
This is all madness.  People get obsessed by coffee and end up spending a fortune and worrying about everything.

Get a Delonghi BAR14 for £60 and stick Illy or Lavassa pre ground espresso in it and it will make decent coffee. it even has a frother on the side to froth your milk for capachino (which is espresso + frothy milk).  Once of these will blow the spots of chain coffee shop coffee.  Alternatively get one of those little stove top single cup makers they work well as well and cost <£20.

Talk to people about coffee and its like talking on here about bikes people will tell you that you cant get away with anything less than a titanium frame and utegra when what most people really need is a decent quality bike rather than the BSO that supermarkets sell.

If you get the coffee bug then splash out on a burr grinder and an expensive machine but really you don't have to unless you are trying to replicate that perfect shot you once had in that extra special cafe in that little town near Florence.

I'll reiterate what has been said before. If you want decent espresso you'll have to invest over £500, but more importantly a load of time and effort to learn how to make it.

If you dont really know what good espresso is and you dont mind a cup of piss, follow pcolbecks advice  ;)

« Reply #45 on: 01 February, 2011, 08:12:07 am »
Damnit I am having trouble finding the Dualit grinder for less than £79 anywhere!

Why do you want a Dualit and what are you trying to achieve?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: 01 February, 2011, 09:17:07 am »

*pricks up ears*

An espresso machine...?

Yep. I'll dig it out and let you know the model. As you asked first, if you want it, it's yours.

Awesome  :)

« Reply #47 on: 01 February, 2011, 09:46:40 am »
Is there any way round having to grind your own beans? I'm guessing not or you wouldn't all be doing it  :D

Yes - but not for purists  ;)  Get ground beans from your fave coffee roasting/grinding emporium in smallish quantities, then freeze.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #48 on: 01 February, 2011, 10:28:35 am »

I payed just over £100 for an Iberital MC1 on Ebay, generally regarded as the cheapest grinder that's up to the job of proper espresso.  It might be worth looking around.

I was very much like Pcolbeck in my outlook until I scored a Rancilio Silvia on the 'bay.  Once I'd got a decent grinder, some good beans and had wasted hours and hours reading up on how to combine grind, dose and brew time I started making some good shots and realised what all the fuss is about. 

If you want hassle-free, go with Nespresso.  It's good enough for Heston Blumenthal's restaurant.  Just don't make the mistake of thinking it's espresso.  ;D

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: 01 February, 2011, 10:58:04 am »
If you want hassle-free, go with Nespresso.  It's good enough for Heston Blumenthal's restaurant. 

I'm staggered.  Nespresso is nice, but I'm fast realising that there's no way it compares to fresh-ground coffee.  Even what I make in my Aeropress is better, because I'm using better ingredients.

Heston must have been paid a shitload to endorse it.