Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391050 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #450 on: 01 May, 2013, 12:36:44 pm »
Sure - during the ride. I thought that was the question.

No idea what I had afterwards. My eating habits are rubbish.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #451 on: 02 May, 2013, 07:01:57 am »
That's food an drink on the 200  I doubt it meant all day.
For some of us, they mean pretty much the same thing!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #452 on: 08 May, 2013, 02:17:44 pm »
 ;D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #453 on: 12 May, 2013, 05:32:42 pm »
Can I ece a perm  ???

I want to make the 2 battles up to 300k by doing the extra at the end. 

The 2 battles is 212k so do I just need to find an extra 88k?

I'd rather use the battles route seeing as I know it so well.  Otherwise I'll just sort out my own 300k.

Thanks.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #454 on: 12 May, 2013, 05:37:21 pm »
No, not currently.

Martin proposed it a while back. I thought it was great, but several loud members shouted it down , on the grounds that noone would want to ride such a thing.

(I'd ride them. )

oh, and I think you'd need a whole extra 100k, if the system existed!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #455 on: 12 May, 2013, 05:47:50 pm »
Cheers Matt!  Looks like I'll be sorting out a diy route then  :-\
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15

« Reply #456 on: 12 May, 2013, 10:53:52 pm »
same with the fleet moss 212k.  the reason is that the route might be 212k but it is only validated as a 200k... there might be shortcuts.  I will probably do it as a 300 this time round (did it as a 400 last year) but am now savvy - I drive to within 50 and a bit k to save going over Lindale Hill for no points!

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #457 on: 14 May, 2013, 12:15:28 am »
300k route sorted:

Amington - Newark on Trent   86k
Newark on Trent  Horncastle   58k
Horncastle - Collingham    48k
Collingham - Melton Mowbray   51k
Melton Mowbray - Amington   63k
Total                                    306k

Just gotta ride the bugger now  :)

SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15

« Reply #458 on: 14 May, 2013, 07:09:37 pm »

« Reply #459 on: 05 June, 2013, 02:07:21 pm »
Can anyone tell me what audax ecosse is exactly?

I've tried searching but I can't work out if it is part of audax uk or a separate club?

Or is it one of those secret things where if you tell me you'll then have to kill me? In which case leave me in ignorance please  ???
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

Hillbilly

« Reply #460 on: 05 June, 2013, 04:01:28 pm »
Good question! 

At face value, it is simply a collective banner under which randonneurs can associate for the purpose of PBP registration (the governing body, ACP, require you to be part of a registered "club").

But as is the way of these things, it also serves as a way for audaxers in Scotland to identify with each other in a loose way, without the traditional organisation of a club structure (for example, there is no committee).

Similar comments apply for yACF.

« Reply #461 on: 05 June, 2013, 06:02:22 pm »
Thanks!  :thumbsup:

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #462 on: 05 June, 2013, 10:46:49 pm »
Good question! 

At face value, it is simply a collective banner under which randonneurs can associate for the purpose of PBP registration (the governing body, ACP, require you to be part of a registered "club").

But as is the way of these things, it also serves as a way for audaxers in Scotland to identify with each other in a loose way, without the traditional organisation of a club structure (for example, there is no committee).

Similar comments apply for yACF.

That's the official line we peddle, it's what we want outsiders to think. The real purpose of Audax Écosse, however, ...   :-X
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #463 on: 05 June, 2013, 10:56:10 pm »
is to displace Haggis as the tradtional gastronomic delight  of Scotland with Forfar bridies ;D

« Reply #464 on: 06 June, 2013, 08:17:46 am »
Oh no I just read that! Will I be terminated now?  :o

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #465 on: 06 June, 2013, 08:23:45 am »
I don't think Termination is an automatic sanction.AIUI it is at the discretion of the Audax Ecosse Star Chamber.No doubt a member of the Clan McEcosse will be along shortly to clarify.
 ;D

Hillbilly

« Reply #466 on: 06 June, 2013, 09:22:05 am »
By the way, as I understand it, you don't actually have to be Scottish or live in Scotland to associate with Audax Ecosse (but are required to do at least one audax event in Scotland). 

I've toyed with affiliating with it in the past (being an ex-pat Scot who makes a point of doing at least one ride up in Scotland every year) but to date have affiliated with my local (traditional, non-audax) club.  I may do so for PBP 2015 though, as it was noticable that people's attitudes (particularly USAians, Aussies and Canadians) felt more positive when I slipped on my Scotland flag top at the 2007 edition (and because I will probably not renew my membership for the local club beyond this year).

« Reply #467 on: 06 June, 2013, 09:46:05 am »
300k route sorted:

Amington - Newark on Trent   86k
Newark on Trent  Horncastle   58k
Horncastle - Collingham    48k
Collingham - Melton Mowbray   51k
Melton Mowbray - Amington   63k
Total                                    306k

Just gotta ride the bugger now  :)

I will be wanting to do a DIY 300 later this year, as i live not far from Melton this looks ideal, do you have a GPX i could crib?

pretty please O:-)!

Ian

« Reply #468 on: 06 June, 2013, 12:52:57 pm »
By the way, as I understand it, you don't actually have to be Scottish or live in Scotland to associate with Audax Ecosse (but are encouraged to do at least one audax event in Scotland). 

I've toyed with affiliating with it in the past (being an ex-pat Scot who makes a point of doing at least one ride up in Scotland every year) but to date have affiliated with my local (traditional, non-audax) club.  I may do so for PBP 2015 though, as it was noticable that people's attitudes (particularly USAians, Aussies and Canadians) felt more positive when I slipped on my Scotland flag top at the 2007 edition (and because I will probably not renew my membership for the local club beyond this year).

My lbs offers a 10% discount if you're a member of a club and I'd wondered about Audax Ecosse (family +work preclude a local club). I live in scotland and have just done the Deeside loop since joining audax uk this spring, but I'm signed up for Forres Foray and hoping to do more next year.

Do you apply to affiliate or is there a complex initiation ceremony (involving bridies?)

Hillbilly

« Reply #469 on: 06 June, 2013, 01:10:52 pm »
No need to notify anyone.  Just change you club affiliation via the membership details page on the Audax UK website.

That said, I'm not sure Audax Ecosse would necessarily tick the box for 10% discount.  What the LBS will have in mind is something like Dundee Thistle, Angus Bike Chain, etc which are traditional local cycling clubs who charge a membership levy, are run by committee and which they would like to have regular business from more than one person. 

That said, I've found that the 10% discount offered by LBS "for local clubs" is generally there if you observe that you'd seen it for less on the internet and was hoping they'd go part way to meeting that price as you want to support local businesses.  This generally ticks a box for them, as does the notion that if you become a regular then they'll make more money in the future on things like servicing etc.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #470 on: 06 June, 2013, 01:20:16 pm »
Do you apply to affiliate or is there a complex initiation ceremony (involving bridies?)
Only if you're very lucky.  :-X

AIUI, the only requirement to join Audax Écosse is to complete an audax in Scotlandland. This rule was made up by somebody inna pub in Embra some time last century.

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #471 on: 06 June, 2013, 01:28:41 pm »
Great thanks  :thumbsup:

the lbs sometimes give me a discount anyway, but sometimes ask for a club. The last time I mumbled CTC and got away with it, but Audax Ecosse sounds better I think  :)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #472 on: 09 June, 2013, 08:41:06 am »
This is a daft question, and I think I know the answer, but what should be considered more definitive - the minimum speed listed in Arriveé or the control open/close times on the routesheet?

We had a bit of a "squeaky bum moment" suddenly finding ourselves running out of time and dashing back to the final control before it closed, only to find it'd been calculated to close at a different average speed and we should have had another hour!  :o

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #473 on: 09 June, 2013, 09:05:54 am »
I'm guessing that was probably an over-distance event registered as a BRM.  BRM rules are that finish times are not calculated by speed, they are simply set times, with no allowance for over-distance.  So for example a 300km finish time is set as 20h (==15k/h).  If it is actually 310km, the time remains the same but that is now (==15.5k/h), but intermediate controls will still be timed at 15k/h which is the fastest 'minimum' that AUK's rules allow. 
So yes, in this instance the final leg can be a bit of a rush for the slowest riders, with (in the example above) 40 minutes lost.  The situation is exacerbated if the organiser has set a lower min speed, such as 14.5kph (this shouldn't really happen, but it is possible under AUK's rules).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #474 on: 09 June, 2013, 09:24:57 am »
It's a populaire, minimum speed is at the org's discretion.
I'd go with what's on the brevet card, generally.