Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391091 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #925 on: 26 April, 2017, 03:35:48 pm »
I thought the point of 'skateboarding' here was not skateboarding but covering parts on foot with rather more portable wheels than a bike.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #926 on: 26 April, 2017, 03:39:05 pm »
Probably been asked before, but I can't find the answer - please slap me and point me in the right direction if I'm missing something obvious...

Is it possible for a Perm organiser to validate a ride from a GPX track? ie the rider submits the GPS track rather than traditional PoP.

I'm asking this as a would-be Perm organiser who would like to be able to offer this facility (not suggesting that all Perm organisers should offer the option).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #927 on: 26 April, 2017, 04:51:26 pm »
I thought the point of 'skateboarding' here was not skateboarding but covering parts on foot with rather more portable wheels than a bike.
Yup, that was my interpretation. A runner with minimal luggage beats a mountain-biker if the terrain is bad enough.

A bit like ski-mountaineering* - you use your feet to get up/over/through the tricky/technical bits. Then deploy lightweight attachments to feet for the smoother flat/downhill bits.

(not sure if skateboards descend faster than bikes on tarmaccced descents? It's possible; they probably have less aero-drag. Assuming good quality wheel bearings.EDIT: yes Cudzo, the wheels could have a lot of friction. No idea of the numbers! )

*I have no idea what the correct term for this is!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #928 on: 26 April, 2017, 05:35:13 pm »
I'd imagine that four small plastic wheels have more drag than two pneumatic tyres. Certainly skateboarders don't seem to descend as fast as bikes. Lack of brakes might prove an inhibiting factor too; for some at least...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #929 on: 26 April, 2017, 06:18:08 pm »
Probably been asked before, but I can't find the answer - please slap me and point me in the right direction if I'm missing something obvious...

Is it possible for a Perm organiser to validate a ride from a GPX track? ie the rider submits the GPS track rather than traditional PoP.

I'm asking this as a would-be Perm organiser who would like to be able to offer this facility (not suggesting that all Perm organisers should offer the option).

It is possible in principle.

There's kind-of-sort-of a trial at the moment with a couple of organisers (Somnolent being one), and there are a couple of other organisers who have the software so do it unofficially.

Basically, ask Somnolent.

citoyen

« Reply #930 on: 26 April, 2017, 06:36:28 pm »
Thanks, both - that all sounds highly promising.

ETA: although I hope that by raising this matter I haven't inadvertently kicked a hornet's nest... that was certainly not my intention.

Phil W

« Reply #931 on: 26 April, 2017, 06:53:51 pm »
It was about 25 years ago and it was a place-to-place (not a circuit) populaire that started quite a bit higher than it finished.  It also had an element of rough off-road so a bit of running with the skateboard under the arm was involved.
I remember it as being the Cut Gate roughstuff event, done by Graham Moult on skateboard.
(The Cut Gate track is between Langsett and Ladybower reservoirs, in the Dark Peak)

(from geograph)
Wow. Impressive. In many ways. That does't look like somewhere to go skateboarding to me – or audaxing. It looks like somewhere to maybe sit down, make a cup of tea, enjoy the sunshine and pitch camp with some friends. Beautiful however you get there.

Mountain bike you can fly along that as it's fairly tame terrain when you have suspension. But yeah, road bike with slicks, somewhat slower.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #932 on: 28 April, 2017, 09:34:27 am »
ETA: although I hope that by raising this matter I haven't inadvertently kicked a hornet's nest... that was certainly not my intention.

If you look at the page for example for this Permanent:
http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/PL02/
and the text in blue near the top of that page:
This permanent event can be Validated by GPS.
This is an option selectable by you during entry.
This means that you would submit a ridden tracklog in place of paper proofs of passage.

Currently there are just 12 Perms set up in this way, but I imagine it will be a growth area.  The Perm does need to be enterable by PayPal, and you as org do need to supply (one time only) a small 'outline' gpx file describing the route - basically just one point per control.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

citoyen

« Reply #933 on: 28 April, 2017, 12:48:05 pm »
If you look at the page for example for this Permanent:
http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/PL02/

Thanks. I'd had a cursory look through the Perms list for such evidence but hadn't found it.

Currently there are just 12 Perms set up in this way, but I imagine it will be a growth area. The Perm does need to be enterable by PayPal, and you as org do need to supply (one time only) a small 'outline' gpx file describing the route - basically just one point per control.

Sounds promising.  :thumbsup:

IJL

« Reply #934 on: 01 May, 2017, 04:48:16 pm »
A random DIY by GPS question, the form for submitting the route requires a date of the ride.  Does the ride have to take place on the date or once the route is approved can it be ridden at anytime?

on the subject of GPS routes, how accurate are the online planners, I use bikehike, how big a margin of error do you leave to ensure the route is 200km

Thanks
Ian

« Reply #935 on: 01 May, 2017, 06:22:12 pm »
Ian, the basic rule is that you have to say when you are going to ride before you actually set off. The DIY organiser may accept a change to the date you put on the form, as long as you give it in advance of the ride - check with your organiser.

For the "enough distance" thing, it's often better (and easier) to plan for (eg) 205 km than for 200.5 km... and it depends which type of entry you are making:

Mandatory Routes (using your GPS device to show that you covered the exact route): usually easy to get a reliable(-ish) figure from one of the online mapping sites/planners.

Advisory Routes (using your device only to show that you did visit your specified controls): these are the ones where only the shortest on-road distance between your specified controls counts towards the 200, and this is much harder to be sure about. You'll probably need a few extra km to be sure it's enough, and on the day you'll probably ride even further (and will be able to enjoy more freedom, as well as the extra distance!)

« Reply #936 on: 01 May, 2017, 09:22:42 pm »
...the basic rule is that you have to say when you are going to ride before you actually set off...

If you make a last-minute entry, you are unlikely to get a reply from the organiser of course, but you should get an auto-reply to confirm that your entry is in (if you don't get the auto reply, try sending the entry again, and/or email the org.)

As long as your entry is in, and is ok, you don't need the route to be "approved" by the org (though you may get an "ok" if there is time, and if the org is not away/ill/backlog-beset...)

Happy riding of all sorts!

Tony

IJL

« Reply #937 on: 01 May, 2017, 09:33:48 pm »
Thanks for the help. 
Ian

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #938 on: 03 May, 2017, 11:58:33 am »
Tried to find this in the FAQ thread.

For a DIY 50/100/150km, is the overall time limit calculated from the points distance or the actual distance between controls?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #939 on: 03 May, 2017, 12:22:59 pm »
It's the "actual" distance.

10km/hour minimum for DIYs less than 200km, so, examples:

Mandatory Route 100, actual route distance 110km: maximum time 11.00 .

Advisory Route 100: shortest on-road distance between your Controls 110km: maximum time 11.00 . NB if you actually ride 140 km, the maximum time is still 11.00 .

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #940 on: 03 May, 2017, 11:37:22 pm »
Easter seems nice and late in 2019, conducive to an arrow. BUT 2019 is also a PBP year. So can the arrow count as the 400 in the qualifying series? Or should I move my arrow plans forward to 2018?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #941 on: 03 May, 2017, 11:40:40 pm »
What's the best way to enter perms, I'm thinking of doing a grimpeurs du sud qualifying 20p in July. I figured best to get the entry in and have the brevet card ready for whichever date I choose. but when entering the systems asks for a date to ride. Is the date filled in when entering binding?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #942 on: 04 May, 2017, 05:40:01 am »
No, the Easter Arrow is not a PBP qualifier.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #943 on: 04 May, 2017, 07:58:30 am »
What's the best way to enter perms, I'm thinking of doing a grimpeurs du sud qualifying 20p in July. I figured best to get the entry in and have the brevet card ready for whichever date I choose. but when entering the systems asks for a date to ride. Is the date filled in when entering binding?

Double check with the organiser for the perm - my organiser for DIYs allows date changes up to 2359 the day before.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #944 on: 04 May, 2017, 10:00:59 am »
Thanks,  figured that would be the case.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #945 on: 04 May, 2017, 10:43:40 am »

Double check with the organiser for the perm - my organiser for DIYs allows date changes up to 2359 the day before.
A certain DIY org accepts entries with a ride date 99 years in the future. He then allow riders to bring forward their ride at the last minute e.g. by sending an email just before they start (or possibly the night before - I haven't tested this arrangement yet!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #946 on: 04 May, 2017, 12:14:41 pm »
Thanks,  figured that would be the case.

Only BRM rides within the right date periods can be qualifiers.

In 2015, all the valid qualifying rides were highlighted on the online calendar. Presumably a similar arrangement will apply in 2019.

« Reply #947 on: 06 May, 2017, 12:51:33 am »
I'm riding the Kernow & South-west 600 as a perm with a friend at the end of May. Wondering if anyone knows a decent place to get some sleep in the Bude area. Finding it hard to find anywhere we can check in late, so looks like it may have to be an Audax hotel unless anyone can recommend a  place?

« Reply #948 on: 07 May, 2017, 11:20:50 pm »
Found a nice BnB in Bude where we can let ourselves in late at night so all sorted!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #949 on: 08 June, 2017, 08:21:22 am »

Only BRM rides within the right date periods can be qualifiers.

In 2015, all the valid qualifying rides were highlighted on the online calendar. Presumably a similar arrangement will apply in 2019.

As I understand, entries for PBP are staggered: first those who have completed a 1000 the year before, then 600, then 400 and so on... I am right in assuming that also these events need to be BRM and BR don't count?

Also, for a Rand 1000 award, is that OK to have 3 x 200 + 1 X 400?