Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 954994 times)

Ruth

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3475 on: 26 August, 2013, 09:27:30 am »
The Place Beyond the Pines A reasonable plot but fairly shallow. At well over 2 hours long this film seems to think its something great, but it isn't. Not bad though.

Is it worth the price of the Blu-Ray? I was thinking about buying this.

« Reply #3476 on: 26 August, 2013, 09:36:22 am »
The Place Beyond the Pines A reasonable plot but fairly shallow. At well over 2 hours long this film seems to think its something great, but it isn't. Not bad though.

Is it worth the price of the Blu-Ray? I was thinking about buying this.

Well, visually and musically it's quite good, but I don't think it's worth watching twice - it was predictable enough the first time round! I can lend you the DVD if you want to watch it and then send back to LoveFilm.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Ruth

« Reply #3477 on: 26 August, 2013, 09:44:03 am »
Thanks J but I'm away for three weeks now so I'll pass  :)

red marley

« Reply #3478 on: 26 August, 2013, 10:08:22 am »
Elysium.

The Good The Bad
Future world where the US is reduced to the status of third world country and healthcare is only available to the tiny privileged minority provides an interesting premise for satire / allegory. The allegorical content of the film never develops beyond this straightforward premise.
All the grimy near-to-death exploited underclasses have perfect white teeth.
With one exception (who is always a baddie), all the baddies are foreign (to the US).
Has a fetishistic fascination with weaponry.
Lots of tedious goodie vs baddie fighting pads out most of the film.
Gaping plot holes galore.
Men fight and women women nurture (with one 'ice-cold' exception).
It's 2154 when tech allows magic health wands to cure all known disease and traumas but computers still go beep as lots of numbers scroll past.
Computer operators who, on seeing a second of beeping scrolling hex, are able to identify a program as one that will shut down an entire space station, dethrone the president and install a new government.
On running the program above, as a safety measure, computer operator is presented with a 'Overthrow current government? Y/N with flashing cursor. (OK, a little rhetorical licence here, but not far off.)
etc. etc.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3479 on: 26 August, 2013, 12:41:24 pm »
Iron Man. Not the worst film I've ever seen.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #3480 on: 26 August, 2013, 12:56:32 pm »
Samsara, thought provoking

« Reply #3481 on: 26 August, 2013, 04:40:25 pm »
It's 2154 when tech allows magic health wands to cure all known disease and traumas but computers still go beep as lots of numbers scroll past.

Computer operators who, on seeing a second of beeping scrolling hex, are able to identify a program as one that will shut down an entire space station, dethrone the president and install a new government.

On running the program above, as a safety measure, computer operator is presented with a 'Overthrow current government? Y/N with flashing cursor.

All many of the standard features of MovieOS, obviously along with fonts which display an inch high, prefect voice recognition and generation, high resolution animated graphics for just about any function, passwords which a five year old could guess, and the ability to access any other computer anywhere.

Conveniently, everyone uses the same version of MovieOS, including aliens, and all storage media is compatible.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Hillbilly

« Reply #3482 on: 26 August, 2013, 06:10:14 pm »
Sightseers

British dark comedy, a phrase that generally means "not very funny and not very good".  But this one bucks the rule and is wryly funny and actually rather good. 

A dysfunctional couple come together as they fall apart at the seams (or some such guff).  Contains caravans.  Knitted crotchless panties.  Dog licking a man's arse.  The expression "Don't come a knocking if the wagon's a rocking".  If that doesn't sell it, I don't know what will.

It's also quite good fun spotting places and thinking "I've cycled there".

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3483 on: 26 August, 2013, 06:31:47 pm »
(Looking forward to Sightseers - saw lots of press about it during the launch ... )

Shame about Elysium, reviews were promising.

Future world where the US is reduced to the status of third world country and healthcare is only available to the tiny privileged minority provides an interesting premise for satire / allegory.
The allegorical content of the film never develops beyond this straightforward premise.

Hmm. All too common in blockbusters. The money men want an action movie, someone points out that a few geeks also like a neat story idea [allegory, satire, exploration of the human condition, yada yada] - so surely combining the two is a winner, right?  ::-)

[I don't give a flying f**k about "un-realistic" IT - anyone care to describe what 2154 IT will look like?!? ]

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3484 on: 26 August, 2013, 06:43:36 pm »
Despicable Me

It's taken me a while to get round to watching it, which is a pity 'cos I don't think I've laughed so much in ages. I want a Minion! Or even better, an army of Minions!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3485 on: 26 August, 2013, 07:24:05 pm »
American Pie Presents: Beta House

The cinematic equivalent of a deep-fried Mars Bar.  Totally exploitative (women are all sex objects) and badly edited so the flow is a bit odd, but there are still some good laughs.  It's like a ruder version of Animal House, which is basically what the makers intended.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3486 on: 26 August, 2013, 08:25:04 pm »
Alice in the cities (1973). I'm a big fan of Wim Wenders. Sometimes a bit bleak, but this one's got some softer moments.
Working my way up to inferior.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3487 on: 26 August, 2013, 08:28:07 pm »
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.

Still no women to be seen in either the Empire or the Rebel Alliance, but I think there's a more diverse population in Cloud City. And black people too! *faints*

Hillbilly

« Reply #3488 on: 26 August, 2013, 09:05:26 pm »
Wasn't Vadar black?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3489 on: 26 August, 2013, 09:13:57 pm »
Wasn't Vadar black?
His voice was ...

rogerzilla

« Reply #3490 on: 26 August, 2013, 09:47:03 pm »
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.

Still no women to be seen in either the Empire or the Rebel Alliance, but I think there's a more diverse population in Cloud City. And black people too! *faints*
Yebbut the black person was a gambler, cheat and general rogue.

The racism the Americans have the biggest problem with is apparently the Trade Federation dudes in the prequels, who seem to have Singaporean accents.  Americans are very sensitive about Orientals (or "Asians" as they call them over there), and "Jap" is about as offensive in the US as "Paki" is in the UK.  Nuclear guilt?

« Reply #3491 on: 27 August, 2013, 11:00:18 pm »
Dogma
Again.

rogerzilla

« Reply #3492 on: 27 August, 2013, 11:38:45 pm »
The Desert Fox (James Mason as Rommel).  Cheekily excessive use of library footage by 20th Century Fox.  I bet they hated it when colour films became de rigeur and they had to spring for SFX. 

The accents are uniformly appalling, and Hitler is more like Chaplin's Great Dictator than the real one, but von Rundstedt is quite good.

The interesting thing about Rommel is that he has a sky-high reputation but it's not clear what he actually did to deserve it, except for some early actions in north Africa.  By all accounts he was a good egg, and the rest of the German generals were a pretty dodgy bunch of Nazi sycophants, so maybe that's it.

Hillbilly

« Reply #3493 on: 28 August, 2013, 09:22:54 am »
American Pie: the Wedding

The Stiffmeister makes these films.  I was LOL'ing and ROFL'ing at some of the jolly japes he was involved in.  The rest of the film is a bit meh.  Nowhere near as good as the first and second.  But enough to inspire me to rent out the "Reunion" and, possibly, to buy the boxset as I feel dirty watching ITV2.

Ruth

« Reply #3494 on: 28 August, 2013, 05:46:20 pm »
Dogma
Again.

It's good.  I think Alannis Morissette is very good as God as well.  I think God is probably really like that.

« Reply #3495 on: 29 August, 2013, 09:07:26 pm »
It's No2Daughter's choice this week, so...

Lady and The Tramp
O yes.

Obviously, the spaghetti scene is the iconic scene of the film, but I had forgotten how good the Siamese Cats were.

Chris S

« Reply #3496 on: 29 August, 2013, 09:10:07 pm »
Obviously, the spaghetti scene is the iconic scene of the film...

I was going to suggest a re-enactment, but spag is not Low Carb.  :hand:

« Reply #3497 on: 29 August, 2013, 09:20:00 pm »

We can re-enact the Siamese Cats instead.

Chris S

« Reply #3498 on: 29 August, 2013, 09:23:42 pm »

Cool!  ;D

(watches video)

We get to slide down your curtains, right?

« Reply #3499 on: 29 August, 2013, 09:32:16 pm »

Cool!  ;D

(watches video)

We get to slide down your curtains, right?
I want to see you get in a fish bowl ;D