Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 955131 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5175 on: 25 May, 2015, 10:58:01 pm »
Only Lovers Left Alive ,  Tilda Swinton & Tom Hiddleston as melancholic vampires having trouble with the younger generation.  Jim Jarmusch strangeness.  Good soundtrack as well.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Andrew

« Reply #5176 on: 26 May, 2015, 08:22:27 am »
Only Lovers Left Alive

I'll have to look out for that one, sounds as though it could amuse me. Plus, I really like Tilda Swinton. For me, any movie she's in is one to watch!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5177 on: 26 May, 2015, 10:28:52 am »
Dallas Buyers Club

Matthew McConaughey is definitely winning me over.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #5178 on: 26 May, 2015, 01:16:46 pm »
Only Lovers Left Alive

I'll have to look out for that one, sounds as though it could amuse me. Plus, I really like Tilda Swinton. For me, any movie she's in is one to watch!

Very much a love it or cringe at it film - for me it was the latter, though Tilda Swinton was good in it regardless.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5179 on: 26 May, 2015, 01:26:57 pm »
Avengers: The Long Weekend Age of Ultron.

Not as good as the previous one for me but a few good bits.  Nice to see Paul Bettany in a bigger role too.

Andrew

« Reply #5180 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:32:42 am »
Ex Machina

The horror! The horror! I was reminded, oddly perhaps, of Kurtz in 'Apocalypse Now'. Nathan - the tortured, possibly insane, genius creator - having driven himself mad in the pursuit of understanding, sees few boundaries to his search.

This is a great film. Well worth watching. It won't be a fave of mine because (and this speaks of me) it's just not my type of film - but it is a goody.

The AI questions have been asked before, notably in 'Blade Runner' which is also an obvious reference/influence,  but there are some neat sexuality/gender thoughts that are hard to avoid. The android feeling foolish and shy putting clothes ON, and then stripping peep-show like. I like that this films flirts with ideas generally. It's stylish and looks good even if some might find it (or the science) a bit ropey or lacking. Me, I liked it. As a film, it worked.

« Reply #5181 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:44:20 am »
The AI questions have been asked before, notably in 'Blade Runner' which is also an obvious reference/influence,  but there are some neat sexuality/gender thoughts that are hard to avoid. The android feeling foolish and shy putting clothes ON, and then stripping peep-show like. I like that this films flirts with ideas generally. It's stylish and looks good even if some might find it (or the science) a bit ropey or lacking. Me, I liked it. As a film, it worked.
Ahem!
No AI in bladerunner. The protagonist is hunting down human clones whose DNA has been tinkered with to make them suitable slaves (including giving them a fixed, very short, lifespan.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5182 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:55:33 am »
Ahem!
No AI in bladerunner. The protagonist is hunting down human clones whose DNA has been tinkered with to make them suitable slaves (including giving them a fixed, very short, lifespan.

Pretty sure that replicants are not human clones - they're androids (who may or may not dream of electric sheep) and the point of Deckard's testing of emotional response is to determine that their AI does not have human empathy.

« Reply #5183 on: 29 May, 2015, 10:13:16 am »
Ahem!

Pretty sure that replicants are not human clones - they're androids (who may or may not dream of electric sheep) and the point of Deckard's testing of emotional response is to determine that their AI does not have human empathy.
They absolutely definitely not electronic. Based on human DNA.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrew

« Reply #5184 on: 29 May, 2015, 10:34:00 am »
Yes, okay, whatever ;)

Particulars aside, you get my meaning.

« Reply #5185 on: 29 May, 2015, 10:48:29 am »
Ahem!

Bioengineered in any case, and with implanted memories - sounds pretty artificial to me.

Yes, okay, whatever ;)

Particulars aside, you get my meaning.

Well, yes.

« Reply #5186 on: 29 May, 2015, 11:16:21 am »
Ahem!

The book is called "Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep?", & the androids, while biological, are described & regarded as artificial, made things, the latest models being intelligent enough to pretend to be human thanks to their latest-technology brains.

You can argue with Dick's science, but that doesn't sound like a human clone to me.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Chris S

« Reply #5187 on: 29 May, 2015, 08:41:58 pm »
The Mockingjay Pt 1.

I'm making another attempt at this - and having more success than previous ones.

(click to show/hide)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5188 on: 29 May, 2015, 08:44:21 pm »
Spooks: The Greater Good.

If you really liked Spooks, you'll probably like this, but if you weren't a Spooks fan it might not hold your interest.

Harry Pearce is MAGNIFICENT.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5189 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:05:04 pm »
I think what it really comes down to is whether they've managed to bring back Ruth and Malcolm...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5190 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:08:59 pm »
(click to show/hide)
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hillbilly

« Reply #5191 on: 29 May, 2015, 10:49:37 pm »
X Men: Days of Future Past

Great entry in the series.  Possibly the best, up there with X Men 2.  Great action, coherent plot, wonderful performances from old and new. Fassbender is a great movie actor: great presence.  Definite recommendation  :thumbsup:

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5192 on: 30 May, 2015, 09:42:13 am »
I watched the first 15 minutes of "The Dictator" with Sacha Baron Cohen.

As much as I love Borat this was painful and embarrassing to watch and I gave up.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Jakob

« Reply #5193 on: 01 June, 2015, 08:52:44 am »
Chappie. I missed this in the cinemas and I'm glad I did. I'm thinking that Neil might not be capable of directingh any other actor than Shalto.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5194 on: 01 June, 2015, 09:47:52 am »
Paddington.

I take back what I said about the trailer. This was brilliant.
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5195 on: 01 June, 2015, 09:49:54 am »
Rewatched District 9.  Great.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5196 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:57:41 am »
Paddington.

I take back what I said about the trailer. This was brilliant.

I love that film.  Also, Mrs Brown is my new style guru.  FABULOUS hand-knits in gorgeous colours.

Mcshroom and I went to see San Andreas, which is an awful disaster movie that I enjoyed very much.  Groaning at cliches, spotting the film references, picking holes in the science - it's got all the ingredients for a good post-movie dissection.  Lots of good special effects, and ridiculously pretty teenage heroes you love to hate.  Good, harmless fun.  Shame about the timing but there was nothing whatsoever reminiscent of real life contemporary events.
Milk please, no sugar.

hillbilly

« Reply #5197 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:54:55 am »
Yes, great knitwear  ;D

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5198 on: 02 June, 2015, 12:01:50 pm »
Milk please, no sugar.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5199 on: 02 June, 2015, 12:34:20 pm »
Rewatched District 9.  Great.

I re-watched that, a couple of months ago and really liked it.  They have the Saffers down to a tee (which, of course they should do), and aren't afraid to laugh at themselves.

MEanwhile I haven't managed to watch a single film for ages due to a) my commuting everyday, which takes up 3 hours in total and b) getting caught up in watching Banshee.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State