Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 954235 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8925 on: 05 May, 2020, 06:46:40 pm »
The Matrix sequels are just something that Adam Savage made up to pad his CV.  Trufax.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8926 on: 05 May, 2020, 06:47:51 pm »
Or I could be missing out on an in joke...

I don't think it counts as an in-joke when it's explained four posts up...

fuzzy

« Reply #8927 on: 05 May, 2020, 11:14:27 pm »
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

This unit recommends it.

« Reply #8928 on: 08 May, 2020, 08:28:00 am »
Started going through all the Star Wars movies, now that Ep 9 is out on Disney+.
Ep I is not terrible apart from Anakin. Ep II & III are dire. Actually, underlying story isn't bad, but the acting,directing and editing is *awful*.

Solo isn't out on Disney+ yet, so will watch Rogue One next.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8929 on: 08 May, 2020, 11:09:16 am »
Started going through all the Star Wars movies, now that Ep 9 is out on Disney+.
Ep I is not terrible apart from Anakin. Ep II & III are dire. Actually, underlying story isn't bad, but the acting,directing and editing is *awful*.

Surely Jar Jar Binks is the worst thing about Phantom Menace? That and the whole tiresome trade wars plot.

As for 2 & 3... I can only assume Hayden Christensen got the part because he has some compromising pictures of George Lucas.

Retrofitting origins stories is always going to be a bit clunky, and the real problem with the Star Wars prequels is that there’s no compelling narrative need in the original films to fill in the gaps in Darth Vader’s back story. In fact, doing so totally undermines the dramatic impact of the key revelatory moment in Empire Strikes Back - I still recall being gobsmacked by that when I saw it in the cinema for the first time as a kid.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #8930 on: 08 May, 2020, 11:29:39 am »
I am not aware of any Star Wars prequel trilogy.

;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8931 on: 08 May, 2020, 12:07:03 pm »

:politeapplause:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #8932 on: 08 May, 2020, 01:17:53 pm »

Surely you can't omit the Ewok movie? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caravan_of_Courage:_An_Ewok_Adventure
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8933 on: 08 May, 2020, 06:22:13 pm »
;)

Haha, yeah, I've been ignoring their existence for years as well.

« Reply #8934 on: 09 May, 2020, 09:32:19 pm »
The Worlds Fastest Indian again.  I love that film

« Reply #8935 on: 09 May, 2020, 10:00:54 pm »
As we've finished our Marvel runthrough we watched Angel Has Fallen.

Third in the X Has Fallen franchise.

It was pretty formulaic and the twists... well they weren't but good fun overall. Probably not worth watching again unlike the first one which we've seen a couple times but a fine film for a lazy evening with chocolate and beer.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8936 on: 10 May, 2020, 11:04:51 pm »
Phase IV (1974)

I love 70s science fiction films, and since the ALC AGM meet at Kingsbury isn't happening, it seemed appropriate...

« Reply #8937 on: 10 May, 2020, 11:14:51 pm »
Phase IV (1974)

I love 70s science fiction films, and since the ALC AGM meet at Kingsbury isn't happening, it seemed appropriate...

That's the one with the ants that, if memory serves, is more like a weird journal/documentary than a drama in style, isn't it?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8938 on: 10 May, 2020, 11:39:04 pm »
Phase IV (1974)

That's the one with the ants that, if memory serves, is more like a weird journal/documentary than a drama in style, isn't it?

That's the one.

In summary:  Geometry good.  Unilaterally declaring inter-species war bad.  70s computers bad above 90°F (whatever that is in gas marks).  Super-intelligent ants neutral.  Don't get trigger-happy with the multi-coloured fire extinguishers.  And above all, channel the camping wisdom of SmallestCub.

« Reply #8939 on: 10 May, 2020, 11:53:01 pm »
I think I've seen that in the dim & distant past , but got it momentarily confused with "Bug" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug_(1975_film)  based on "The Hephaestus Plague" .  Not the sort of insects you want to encounter while camping.  Worse than earwigs.....

https://thecurmudgeonly.blogspot.com/2006/10/hephaestus-plague.html
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8940 on: 11 May, 2020, 12:24:57 am »
I finally got round to watching The Matrix. Underwhelming. The main thing was seeing all the tech gear - mobile phones mainly - that would have been cutting edge in 1999 that are now so old hat.

There's a film that aged so badly that the innovative and initially spectacular 'bullet time' effect was old by about halfway through watching it.

Some of it's iconic 90s cyberpunk.  The rest is contrived philosophy, transgender allegory, guns, lots of guns and lashings and lashings of Buddhist woo.

The Nokia 7110 was pretty cool tho.  And it had a better screensaver than Galaxy Quest.

Shame they never made a sequel.

It was so nice to see Neuromancer get a proper filming  ;D

Problem was, they'd included enough stuff from the other two books that they couldn't then film them afterwards.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8941 on: 11 May, 2020, 08:16:13 am »
Phase IV (1974)

Have you tried Without Warning?

Not quite 70s, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rob

« Reply #8942 on: 11 May, 2020, 09:37:47 am »
Den of Thieves on Saturday night.

I thought it was very Heat most of the way through and then ended up a bit Usual Suspects.

ian

« Reply #8943 on: 11 May, 2020, 11:08:10 am »

Surely Jar Jar Binks is the worst thing about Phantom Menace? That and the whole tiresome trade wars plot.

As for 2 & 3... I can only assume Hayden Christensen got the part because he has some compromising pictures of George Lucas.

Retrofitting origins stories is always going to be a bit clunky, and the real problem with the Star Wars prequels is that there’s no compelling narrative need in the original films to fill in the gaps in Darth Vader’s back story. In fact, doing so totally undermines the dramatic impact of the key revelatory moment in Empire Strikes Back - I still recall being gobsmacked by that when I saw it in the cinema for the first time as a kid.

I've not been brave enough to venture into the Star Wars prequels. I just remember the cringing of the first one, the annoying kid vs. Jar Jar. After that it was a journey into the pointless. I can't remember much about II and III other than that pointlessness, did we need a laboured origin story for Darth? No.

The new batch aren't much better and a missed opportunity. The final one wasn't awful, but the first was a fairly pointless retread of the original Stars Wars and the middle was terrible, some kind of completely suspenseless space chase with an entirely pointless side plot cribbed from the Empire Strikes Back (where it had a point).

We watched Justice League which, as I had vaguely remembered, a lot better than the laboured Death of Superman. They're finally starting to cut back on those ponderous, dragging scenes and introduce some humour into the mix.

fuzzy

« Reply #8944 on: 11 May, 2020, 01:53:22 pm »

I've not been brave enough to venture into the Star Wars prequels. I just remember the cringing of the first one, the annoying kid vs. Jar Jar. After that it was a journey into the pointless. I can't remember much about II and III other than that pointlessness, did we need a laboured origin story for Darth? No.

The new batch aren't much better and a missed opportunity. The final one wasn't awful, but the first was a fairly pointless retread of the original Stars Wars and the middle was terrible, some kind of completely suspenseless space chase with an entirely pointless side plot cribbed from the Empire Strikes Back (where it had a point).

We watched Justice League which, as I had vaguely remembered, a lot better than the laboured Death of Superman. They're finally starting to cut back on those ponderous, dragging scenes and introduce some humour into the mix.

The only really watchable not episodes IV to VI is Rogue One.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8945 on: 11 May, 2020, 01:57:11 pm »
That Han Solo spinoff wasn't bad, either.

fuzzy

« Reply #8946 on: 11 May, 2020, 02:09:58 pm »
Cos not bad or cos Emilia?

;)

ian

« Reply #8947 on: 11 May, 2020, 03:19:56 pm »
I fell asleep in Solo, so can't comment. I really enjoyed Rogue One though, that was precisely what they should have aimed for with the reboot, a proper adventure yarn with decent characters that just happened to be in space.

« Reply #8948 on: 11 May, 2020, 06:09:35 pm »

Justice league is easily the worst superhero movie made since the 70s., well forver. Despite multiple warnings, I still didn't lower my expectations enough and was disappointed.

« Reply #8949 on: 17 May, 2020, 02:46:24 pm »
Shackleton's Captain on Amazon Prime.  I didnt know the full story of the ill-fated expedition, this "docurama" was a brilliant way of telling the story.   Thoroughly recommend.

and..
Coherence on Amazon Prime.  Very confusing and enjoyable sci-fi thriller.  If you like your films with a quantum physics / schrodingers cat bent, this is for you.