Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 947995 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #175 on: 28 February, 2010, 10:23:54 pm »
She, a Chinese.

Interesting study in cultural differences.

« Reply #176 on: 01 March, 2010, 09:06:34 am »
Crossfire. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #177 on: 01 March, 2010, 11:23:28 am »
Avatar. Mrs B took me last night. Her idea. She regretted it. What a load of tosh! Pretty tosh, but tosh none the less.

I can suspend disbelief for pentadactyl mammalian humanoid aliens (though it's not easy), but some of the rest! The feeble excuse for a plot appeared to be mostly a way of linking together the pictures, plus a bit of very clumsy & extraordinarily naive propagandising about noble savages.

There were a lot of people doing things that just didn't make sense, except to provide Cameron with opportunities to reprise images from other films. There's an awful lot of blatantly & rather tiresomely derivative imagery.

BTW, we both noticed that despite 3D being a large part of the point of the film, Cameron doesn't seem to understand how to use it. I think he can't break out of his training & years of practice in 2D & its conventions. A lot of scenes were very obviously shot according to 2D filmic conventions, which didn't really work in 3D. for example, having only the point of focus in focus doesn't work at all in 3D. Out of focus backgrounds look very wrong indeed when ones mind is telling one your eyes are adjusting their focus for the apparent depth. And things flying towards you (grossly overdone, BTW) should not go out of focus!
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Deborah

« Reply #178 on: 01 March, 2010, 12:42:36 pm »
Where the Truth Lies.  It was a very disturbing film, although Mr Deborah enjoy the plethora of naked ladies!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #179 on: 01 March, 2010, 05:16:51 pm »
You have to remember Avatar is the first big/massive step forward in 3D in many years and Hollywood is still learning how to us the new technology.

Just like Jurassic Park was for animation/computer graphic/etc a massive step forward but compared to now it is not that amazing.

This above was paraphrased from an article I read last year.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #180 on: 01 March, 2010, 09:40:06 pm »
Except that it's the 2nd.

Up was out first.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #181 on: 01 March, 2010, 10:09:04 pm »
Detail is so important.
It is simpler than it looks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #182 on: 01 March, 2010, 10:21:00 pm »
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

mikeitup

« Reply #183 on: 03 March, 2010, 08:24:00 pm »
The Lovely Bones

christing awful!  :sick:

best thing about it was the wife paid  :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #184 on: 03 March, 2010, 10:20:09 pm »
I can suspend disbelief for pentadactyl mammalian humanoid aliens (though it's not easy)

The Na'vi were tetradactyl.  The Avatars were pentadactyl, presumably because it would be simpler for the operators to run them without weird phantom finger problems.

Detail is important.   :thumbsup:

(It's still utter bobbins, but in the best way)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #185 on: 04 March, 2010, 09:13:38 am »
While waiting for wife to get back from meetings, I watched the start of Aliens. Good lord it is good. Comparing it to the likes of Avatar is like comparing Neuromancer  to 'Dick and Jane' books. Yup, 'Dick and Jane' has pretty colours.  ::-)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #186 on: 07 March, 2010, 05:42:52 pm »
The Guns of Batasi.  It's set in 'an East African country' in the early 1960's when the lights were going out all over the Empire.

Having been born in Africa in the 1950's and then been in Cyprus as the British were dealing with EOKA, I thought it was an excellent portrayal of the feeling of those times.  For some reason the DVD has to be bought from abroad and has not been released in the UK.   
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #187 on: 07 March, 2010, 05:45:30 pm »
Breakfast on Pluto

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #188 on: 07 March, 2010, 05:46:18 pm »
Alice in Wonderland
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #189 on: 07 March, 2010, 07:13:48 pm »
Children of Men

Far better than I feared. Lots of good elements, but never quite managed to be the TRULY INCREDIBLE film it might have been. Recommended.

[Also features a female Julian.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #190 on: 08 March, 2010, 01:47:11 pm »
Breakfast on Pluto
Excellent film  :thumbsup:

Did you recognise Brian Ferry?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #191 on: 08 March, 2010, 01:53:23 pm »
In the loop. Last night. Excellent profanity.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #192 on: 08 March, 2010, 02:01:30 pm »

Hell, no.   Having enjoyed the Thick of It, I set out to watch this last night, and gave up after the first half-hour or so.  It was like watching the same three-minute joke being looped endlessly.  Gave up and went to bed.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #193 on: 08 March, 2010, 02:25:32 pm »
Gran Torino last night with Mrs G.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #194 on: 09 March, 2010, 01:24:32 pm »

Hell, no.   Having enjoyed the Thick of It, I set out to watch this last night, and gave up after the first half-hour or so.  It was like watching the same three-minute joke being looped endlessly.  Gave up and went to bed.

I watched it last night and really enjoyed it - laughed many times. I know what you mean about it being the same joke on a loop but I thought the story was strong enough to carry it through. Lots of very good one-liners.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #195 on: 11 March, 2010, 12:27:04 pm »
The Talented Mr. Ripley.

I much prefer the radio play though.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #196 on: 11 March, 2010, 04:09:24 pm »
Breakfast on Pluto
Excellent film  :thumbsup:

Did you recognise Brian Ferry?

I didnt. When I saw the film I was in bed kind of semi watching at 2am on a Sunday morning :-[
I have a copy on dvd which I will watch again soon and look for him  :)
Tis a top film btw  :thumbsup:

« Reply #197 on: 11 March, 2010, 04:18:13 pm »
Last film I saw at a Magic Lantern Emporium was Towering Inferno the 1st time around.

« Reply #198 on: 11 March, 2010, 06:02:41 pm »
eXistenZ

"Are we still in the game?"
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #199 on: 11 March, 2010, 08:20:02 pm »
eXistenZ

"Are we still in the game?"

I like this film a lot  - the Chinese restaurant in the forest scene with the 'food' gun is great and the final scenes where all roles are reversed are excellent..