Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 926635 times)

Deborah

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #225 on: 16 March, 2010, 07:32:58 pm »
The Reader. Worth watching.

I read the book a while back, but have yet to watch the film.  MrDeborah is eager to see it, but I think that might have something to do with the presence of a naked Kate Winslett.  I'm pleased to hear that it is worth watching.  You've enticed me to rent the film.

« Reply #226 on: 16 March, 2010, 10:43:29 pm »
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, in frustrating NARROWSCREEN on Channel 5 last night.  I eventually got pissed off with missing half of the film and turned it off.  I couldn't bear to watch the bullfight scene and only be able to see one of the characters.

« Reply #227 on: 17 March, 2010, 09:31:54 am »
The Reader. Worth watching.

I read the book a while back, but have yet to watch the film.  MrDeborah is eager to see it, but I think that might have something to do with the presence of a naked Kate Winslett.  I'm pleased to hear that it is worth watching.  You've enticed me to rent the film.

Iris is also a good film. And features Ms Winslett  ;)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Deborah

« Reply #228 on: 17 March, 2010, 09:39:48 am »
I will look out for it. Thanks for the tip.

« Reply #229 on: 17 March, 2010, 11:08:43 am »

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A very nice/silly spoof.

Spinners

« Reply #230 on: 20 March, 2010, 03:43:00 pm »
After being nagged by a work colleague for months and months I finally got to see 'The Shawshank Redemption' last night (bought the DVD in HMV for a fiver)

Outstanding.

On that basis, I'll probably watch Avatar in 2026 (not that I fancy it tbh).

Zoidburg

« Reply #231 on: 20 March, 2010, 03:45:18 pm »
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, in frustrating NARROWSCREEN on Channel 5 last night.  I eventually got pissed off with missing half of the film and turned it off.  I couldn't bear to watch the bullfight scene and only be able to see one of the characters.
PAN AND SCAN old chap

PAN AND SCAN.

And yes it makes good films rubbish, grainy due to the blown up zoom, and missing stuff.

:sick:

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #232 on: 20 March, 2010, 09:51:34 pm »
This afternoon I went to see Hubble 3D at the Imax.

I now feel so incredibly insignificant.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #233 on: 21 March, 2010, 11:08:25 pm »
PAN AND SCAN old chap

PAN AND SCAN.

And yes it makes good films rubbish, grainy due to the blown up zoom, and missing stuff.

Hmm, my TV probably dates back to the Age of Steam, so I doubt it has that function.

I'll just get the DVD from the library.

« Reply #234 on: 21 March, 2010, 11:57:48 pm »
Shutter Island. Chosen by Mrs B, as usual. Cast including Ben Kingsley (though not as good as in Sexy Beast, Max von Sydow, the lovely Emily Mortimer, & some bloke called DiCaprio.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Zoidburg

« Reply #235 on: 22 March, 2010, 12:03:26 pm »
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, in frustrating NARROWSCREEN on Channel 5 last night.  I eventually got pissed off with missing half of the film and turned it off.  I couldn't bear to watch the bullfight scene and only be able to see one of the characters.
PAN AND SCAN old chap

PAN AND SCAN.

Hmm, my TV probably dates back to the Age of Steam, so I doubt it has that function.

I'll just get the DVD from the library.
No it's not a feature on the telly.

The ratio format was called pan and scan, it was one used in the days of VHS, particularly when used with crappy US NTSC format.

It was awful, still is awfull.

Pan and scan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

« Reply #236 on: 22 March, 2010, 12:21:07 pm »
To answer the original post, I think it was called, oh, sorry, I have forgotten.

Pretty sure Elizabeth Taylor was the lead actress though :D
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #237 on: 22 March, 2010, 04:54:21 pm »
Just watched the Orson Welles version of Franz Kafka's The Trial in a slightly degraded print. I'd never actually seen it before and it was surprisingly effective, with a suitably naive young Anthony Perkins as Josef K. The updated bits worked because they dealt with aspects of bureaucracy not around in Kafka's time, like computers.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #238 on: 22 March, 2010, 04:57:16 pm »
Yes, I like it very much.  I was a bit dubious before seeing it, knowing Perkins only from Psycho, and fearing a very Americanised version of a book I live, but it was well handled.
Getting there...

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #239 on: 22 March, 2010, 05:34:24 pm »
Yes, I like it very much.  I was a bit dubious before seeing it, knowing Perkins only from Psycho, and fearing a very Americanised version of a book I live, but it was well handled.

Lots of veteran European character actors in it... and great locations and sets too.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #240 on: 23 March, 2010, 11:04:30 am »
One day I'll get round to finishing The Trial, which has been lurking half-read for some fifteen of your Earth years.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #241 on: 23 March, 2010, 11:21:29 am »
Road to Perdition.
Nice take on the "hitman" film genre.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #242 on: 24 March, 2010, 08:58:34 pm »
Shutter Island. Chosen by Mrs B, as usual. Cast including Ben Kingsley (though not as good as in Sexy Beast, Max von Sydow, the lovely Emily Mortimer, & some bloke called DiCaprio.

Saw that at the Odeon.  Weird.  The film, not the Odeon.

On 2nd thoughts, both.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #243 on: 26 March, 2010, 08:28:05 pm »
The Hurt Locker

A good film ..... but not a great film !

Chris S

« Reply #244 on: 26 March, 2010, 08:53:18 pm »
Charlie Wilson's War. Again. I love this film.

Humans can be brilliant - and then we go and fuck it up...  ::-)

« Reply #245 on: 26 March, 2010, 11:28:08 pm »
Last night was "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo",  I've not read the book so can't compare the two. An effective, well acted thriller and the leading lady is Hawt!   :P

Tonight was "The Lives of Others",  a view of East Germany's past, or a vision of our future....?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #246 on: 26 March, 2010, 11:56:23 pm »

Grim and awful.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #247 on: 27 March, 2010, 12:36:54 am »
It might get loud - wonderful

« Reply #248 on: 27 March, 2010, 11:39:10 am »
There Will Be Blood - very good movie, with some astounding scenes and a great, booming soundtrack.

« Reply #249 on: 27 March, 2010, 11:18:57 pm »
Sherlock Holmes. What a heap of rubbish. I struggled to understand a word of what Robert D-J was saying in his whispery, affected, toffy English accent. Jude Law was as wooden as ever. I was really disappointed.