Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 939946 times)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #300 on: 08 April, 2010, 05:52:11 pm »
I have no idea what made me do it, but I have suffered 'The LadyKillers'.  Not the Alec Guinness classic but the dire Tom Hanks remake.

It's worse than anything you could possibly imagine.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #301 on: 08 April, 2010, 06:12:43 pm »
12 Angry Men (yet again).  There are advantages to being at home recovering.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #302 on: 09 April, 2010, 09:50:25 am »
A Boy A Girl And A Bike

Got it through the forum library, and I know there's a queue, so I'll be passing it on shortly, though I want to show Superstoker the bike race bit, now he's into cycle sport.  Unfortunately, my lads are allergic to watching black & white films. :(  To be fair, my monitor doesn't cope with dark films well (much of HP6 was audio only ;D ), and there are quite a few night scenes in this.

I didn't recognise Honor Blackman.  For a girl born in Plaistow (London), she did a pretty fair Yorkshire accent, as did Swindon-born Diana Dors, though with a bit less success.

I was surprised and delighted to see that much of it is filmed in and around Hebden Bridge, so I knew a lot of the locations well, and later action takes place in the southern Dales, which I also know & love.  How that lad managed to run from Bolton Abbey to Malham Cove I do not know ;D

Many beautiful shots of stone wall-lined lanes (and almost no traffic).  Decent film of cycling, with few of the actors being wobbly (except where required by the story).  The bike race sections are a bit hokey, but not bad.  There's even a brief explanation of 'through & off' at one point earlier on, though they don't really ride like that in the event.

Things to look out for: 
Tandem with sidecar
Vintage tents
(background) Interesting tracked tractor.

Good fun.  The studio sets are a bit poor, the plot thin, the acting rather hammy (watch out for the rider with cramp), the class issue a bit one dimensional, and the back-projection creaky, but it's funny and engaging, and the feisty Northern lasses are a treat.  And the bikes are great.  :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #303 on: 09 April, 2010, 09:59:59 am »
Inglourious Basterds (sp?, sic) Quentin Tarantino

For some reason it reminded me of 'Allo, allo', scenes from Indiana Jones, Monty Python and the Phantom of the Opera.

Not really in a good way although some of it was amusing, maybe unintentionally.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #304 on: 09 April, 2010, 10:43:18 am »
Team America: World Police.

I larffed.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #305 on: 09 April, 2010, 02:04:00 pm »
Something about Mary. It was on Film 4 a while ago and I recorded it. Never got round to watching it before and it was rather amusing in parts.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #306 on: 09 April, 2010, 02:48:33 pm »
I recall when I watched it, I liked some parts.  Most of them belonging to Cameron Diaz.
Getting there...

« Reply #307 on: 10 April, 2010, 04:31:36 pm »
Mrs B has bought tickets for Cemetery Junction, apparently on the grounds that we can't miss a film named after where we live.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

LEE

« Reply #308 on: 10 April, 2010, 06:09:21 pm »
24 Hour Party People.

Steve Coogan as Tony (Anthony H) Wilson in the story of the "Madchester" scene of the late 70's and early 80's.

I really enjoyed it.  Very funny and tells that particular story better than any dry documentary I've ever seen.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #309 on: 10 April, 2010, 06:54:04 pm »
Ginger Snaps.

Gory hokum.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #310 on: 10 April, 2010, 08:05:35 pm »
We watched Badlands last night - alienated, doomed lovers go on a killing spree across Dakota.  Visually stunning, there are some wonderfully laconic lines in the script, and a couple of deadpan performances from the leads.

« Reply #311 on: 11 April, 2010, 08:58:19 pm »
Gran Torino

Another great film from Clint Eastwood, with music including Jamie Cullum.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #312 on: 12 April, 2010, 11:00:50 am »
Bulletproof Monk.

Nazis, kung fu, explosions, helicopters, Jaime King's bum, etc.  What's not to like?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #313 on: 12 April, 2010, 11:53:01 pm »
2001: A Space Odyssey at the Prince Charles, Leicester Square. Stunning and waaaay ahead of its time. Definitely one for the cinema rather than telly.

I saw Moon at that cinema last year and felt much the same about it. The similarities between the two films are striking. Never seen 2001 on a big screen but would love to, and I imagine the Prince Charles is a particularly nice cinema to see it in.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #314 on: 13 April, 2010, 11:26:05 am »
Badlands and then True Romance as a road trip killers double bill.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #315 on: 13 April, 2010, 12:36:59 pm »
Being John Malkovich

I've seen it at least twice before but not for a while and I'd forgotten how very, very dark it is. Also very funny. And brilliant.

We let the nearly-12yo watch with us, which we might not have done if we'd remembered how dark it was. But he seemed to enjoy it, even if there were some bits he didn't really get (doesn't have a clue who John Malkovich is for a start). Some of the language is quite unsuitable for a 12yo, and the action gets a bit steamy at times, but tbh I'd far rather he watched high-quality films with occasional rude words and mild sex scenes than some of the mind-rotting dross that passes for children's entertainment.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim

« Reply #316 on: 13 April, 2010, 01:15:23 pm »
V for Vendetta

I had forgotten it included a scene involving application of a shovel with extreme prejudice.

« Reply #317 on: 14 April, 2010, 11:04:57 pm »
Azumi.

It's a pretty violent film, but it's very well made, and there's some endearing about the assassins and their... well, childlike approach to some things.

Aya Ueto plays the lead part perfectly.

It's a shame that Azumi 2 wasn't anywhere near as good.  I wish I could understand it in the original Japanese, but I think learning Japanese well enough just to watch films in it, is probably beyond my ability to remain that driven!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Zoidburg

« Reply #318 on: 14 April, 2010, 11:06:15 pm »
V for Vendetta

I had forgotten it included a scene involving application of a shovel with extreme prejudice.
See also - The Evil Dead series.

Groovey.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #319 on: 15 April, 2010, 11:31:05 am »
Fast Food Nation.

Hungry now.  I can haz cheezburger?

« Reply #320 on: 16 April, 2010, 08:50:55 am »
Baron Munchausen

Uma was really hot at 18.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #321 on: 16 April, 2010, 10:25:05 am »
I watched Beaches last night, I didn't realises is was a weepy I nearly cried at the end  :'(

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #322 on: 16 April, 2010, 11:44:11 am »
Lone Wolf McQuade.  Helicopters, killin's, Chuck Norris kicking the fuck out of the baddies and Barbara Carrera in jodphurs.  Outstanding.

« Reply #323 on: 16 April, 2010, 02:45:35 pm »
Being John Malkovich

I've seen it at least twice before but not for a while and I'd forgotten how very, very dark it is. Also very funny. And brilliant.

We let the nearly-12yo watch with us, which we might not have done if we'd remembered how dark it was. But he seemed to enjoy it, even if there were some bits he didn't really get (doesn't have a clue who John Malkovich is for a start). Some of the language is quite unsuitable for a 12yo, and the action gets a bit steamy at times, but tbh I'd far rather he watched high-quality films with occasional rude words and mild sex scenes than some of the mind-rotting dross that passes for children's entertainment.

d.

and then some...  Actually I find the Parent's Guide for <whatever film> at IMDB a good guide to films re children.  The age rating is a reasonable guide, but, I wouldn't even let our now 12yro watch some 12 rated films/programs.

Last film I saw was How to train your dragon - very enjoyable.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #324 on: 17 April, 2010, 12:47:00 pm »
Harry Brown.

Very similar story to Gran Tourino but much preffered Harry Brown.
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel