Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 926626 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #500 on: 11 August, 2010, 06:39:44 pm »
'Saving Private Ryan'

Still the same rather horrid gore-fest/celebration of american heroes dressed up in anti-war guise as it was when I first saw it on release.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #501 on: 11 August, 2010, 07:07:53 pm »
Legion.

A load of hilarious wank but highly entertaining hilarious wank that they have clearly put a lot of time and effort into, I liked it for the same reason I keep rewatching Dune.

Hmm.  Would you be a fan of The Prophecy?  Christopher Walken as a mean Archangel Gabriel, Viggo Mortensen as Lucifer...
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Tim

« Reply #502 on: 12 August, 2010, 09:49:19 am »
Toy Story 3.

Good, but didn't live up to the billing.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #503 on: 12 August, 2010, 09:55:56 am »
Re-visited Team America: World Police last night....

Fan-bloody-tastic!!!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Chris S

« Reply #504 on: 12 August, 2010, 10:13:19 am »
Bucket List. It was good therapy for me - I needed a reality check. And a larf. And a cry.

LEE

« Reply #505 on: 12 August, 2010, 12:11:25 pm »
Toy Story 3.

I didn't hear much about it so it didn't need to beat any hype.  I thought it was excellent.

The CGI "lighting", especially during the sad Clown's monologue, is wonderful and the "friends 'til the end" hand-holding near the end I found quite moving.  It's what Pixar are so good at.

Tim

« Reply #506 on: 12 August, 2010, 12:59:53 pm »
Toy Story 3.

I didn't hear much about it so it didn't need to beat any hype.  I thought it was excellent.

The CGI "lighting", especially during the sad Clown's monologue, is wonderful and the "friends 'til the end" hand-holding near the end I found quite moving.  It's what Pixar are so good at.
I had heard too many near perfect reviews of it. Still certainly a good and well made film.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #507 on: 12 August, 2010, 07:25:21 pm »
The Green Zone - better than I thought it was going to be, tbh.

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #508 on: 13 August, 2010, 05:13:55 pm »
District 9. 

Absolutely fantastic.  Set in South Africa with a cast I've never heard of and half the main characters are Prawns. 

A bit like a cross between Independence Day and Starship Troopers but a lot less Hollywood.  Would definitely recommend it. 
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

Chris S

« Reply #509 on: 13 August, 2010, 09:53:35 pm »
Lost in Translation.

It really captures that "out of place" feeling you get when you land in a country the other side of the world.

"Mista Hareesss.... you Lip My Stockings."

« Reply #510 on: 14 August, 2010, 09:06:04 am »
Precious.

took me a while to get into it but quite enjoyed it (if that's the right expression for something with rape, incest, poverty and maria carey)

« Reply #511 on: 15 August, 2010, 09:08:15 pm »
Dead Snow - Norweigan film about Nazi zombies.  Can't have too many Nazi zombie films.  :thumbsup:

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #512 on: 15 August, 2010, 09:13:36 pm »
Watched a few films this weekend:

'The Informant', with Matt Damon. Highly recommend it.

'Inglorious Basterds' - better than I thought it was going to be, and refreshing to have the majority of the film to be in the French and German language.

'Eclipse' the latest Twihard offering. Meh.

Martin

« Reply #513 on: 15 August, 2010, 09:14:56 pm »
Babel;

in theory a routine story about getting stuck in the back of beyond in Morocco with a life threatening injury; with two other almost completely unconnected side stories on the other side(s) of the world;

very odd but brilliant, although they should have deleted the entire Japanese bit as it detracted from the story

Zoidburg

« Reply #514 on: 16 August, 2010, 12:54:53 pm »
Not strictly a film and not even watched yet but I have in my grubby mitts the series one DVD boxset of the "Sons Of Anarchy" which is worth a look just for the Ron Perlmeister and Henry Rolllins.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #515 on: 16 August, 2010, 01:03:04 pm »
Not strictly a film and not even watched yet but I have in my grubby mitts the series one DVD boxset of the "Sons Of Anarchy" which is worth a look just for the Ron Perlmeister and Henry Rolllins.

It is indeed brilliant, but Mr Henry "Black Flag" Rollins doesn't appear 'til series two!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Zoidburg

« Reply #516 on: 16 August, 2010, 01:23:24 pm »

It is indeed brilliant, but Mr Henry "Black Flag" Rollins doesn't appear 'til series two!
I can't see it being more violent than the actual real bike gangs. ;D

They closed the scrappers down the road once because they found human "mince" in a car shredder.

Spookily enough the club house of a well known large MC is just across the road.

« Reply #517 on: 16 August, 2010, 01:31:07 pm »
District 9. 

Absolutely fantastic.  Set in South Africa with a cast I've never heard of and half the main characters are Prawns. 

A bit like a cross between Independence Day and Starship Troopers but a lot less Hollywood.  Would definitely recommend it. 

We could never be cinema buddies Crusty....I walked out of this film, it was awful!!!!  However I did go and see 'Eclipse' with Daisyhill and Mrs Obi last night...and boy did we laugh!  ;D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #518 on: 16 August, 2010, 01:46:23 pm »
Dead Snow - Norweigan film about Nazi zombies.  Can't have too many Nazi zombie films.  :thumbsup:

It's in my collection - great film!   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #519 on: 16 August, 2010, 02:10:09 pm »
District 9.  

Absolutely fantastic.  Set in South Africa with a cast I've never heard of and half the main characters are Prawns.  

A bit like a cross between Independence Day and Starship Troopers but a lot less Hollywood.  Would definitely recommend it.  

We could never be cinema buddies Crusty....I walked out of this film, it was awful!!!!  However I did go and see 'Eclipse' with Daisyhill and Mrs Obi last night...and boy did we laugh!  ;D
Newtoncap got it about right. Nominally District9 was tailor made for me but it rather collapsed under the weight of apartheid allegories, trendy fake documentary styling and paper thin characters. V.Disappointing.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #520 on: 16 August, 2010, 08:31:12 pm »
Spookily enough the club house of a well known large MC is just across the road.

That used to be my office upto 1994.The occupier next door was not happy to have such new neighbours

border-rider

« Reply #521 on: 16 August, 2010, 08:38:35 pm »
Newtoncap got it about right. Nominally District9 was tailor made for me but it rather collapsed under the weight of apartheid allegories, trendy fake documentary styling and paper thin characters. V.Disappointing.

Not for me.  I thought it was ace :)

if you think those were worthy apartheid allegories, you've missed the exact point

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #522 on: 17 August, 2010, 11:21:08 pm »
'The Counterfieters' - a rather fantastic fillum set during one of the concentration camps in WW2. It could have been cloying but it was not. Highly recommended  :thumbsup:

« Reply #523 on: 18 August, 2010, 01:32:30 pm »
Synechdoche New York about 1/2 of it.

(In an alternative universe somewhere, our DVD player is still working and we watched it all the way through).

simonp

« Reply #524 on: 20 August, 2010, 06:04:01 pm »
Moon.  Not finished yet, because I went to bed.  So far, I love it.