Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 941914 times)

Julian

• samoture
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #700 on: 31 October, 2010, 07:38:45 pm »
Burke & Hare last night.  It was really very good indeed, and the film reviewer at the Metro "newspaper" who slated it is Simply Wrong.

LindaG

« Reply #701 on: 31 October, 2010, 10:46:40 pm »
Pushing Tin.

Billy Bob Thornton.   John Cusack.

Oh yes.   Much totty.  Some good aeroplane shots.  And the 'stand behind a 747 and see what happens'.  I love that.

Oh, and it's good to see someone else get burned out by their job   ::-)

« Reply #702 on: 31 October, 2010, 10:51:54 pm »
SAW 7 3D - nowhere near as chilling as the first ones. Stylised gore... :-\

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #703 on: 03 November, 2010, 02:12:48 am »
Jonah Hex. I quite liked it for mindless entertainment.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #704 on: 03 November, 2010, 09:47:59 am »
Extraordinary Rendition.  A fillum which tends to make one very cross with governments.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #705 on: 03 November, 2010, 08:03:40 pm »
The Children of Men.  A film to make you think hard about a number of things, not least how much you'd be willing to risk for other people.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #706 on: 04 November, 2010, 11:46:12 am »
A film to make you think hard about a number of things, not least...

Will Julianne Moore ever be mine?

Sigh.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #707 on: 04 November, 2010, 11:59:42 am »

Will Julianne Moore ever be mine?

Hug that Boogie Nights DVD close.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #708 on: 14 November, 2010, 11:40:06 pm »
Brazil, for the first time in quite a few years.  Probably Terry Gilliam's most complete and successful film.  Much as I love it, every time I watch it, it makes me so sad.  Wonderful.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #709 on: 15 November, 2010, 09:24:33 am »
It is wonderful.  And wonderfully sad.
Getting there...

« Reply #710 on: 15 November, 2010, 10:06:05 am »
Another Year.

Good.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #711 on: 15 November, 2010, 10:12:05 am »
Another Year

Very good indeed.  Jim Broadbent is a fabulous actor but Mike Leigh is a genius.

citoyen

« Reply #712 on: 15 November, 2010, 04:37:43 pm »
The missus and I have the night off this Saturday, since the offspring is sleeping over at his mate's house, so we thought we might go and see Another Year.

Shame nearly every single sodding cinema screen within two hours' drive will be showing Harry bleedin' Potter ad nauseam this weekend. Surely the whole point of multiplexes is to show lots of different films rather than the same film 12 times at once? >:(

The only cinema that's showing something I might actually want to watch is the arty-farty cinema at the university (they have The Arbor on, which I want to see because a] I'm a fan of Andrea Dunbar, and b] I know the director). I dare say they'll get Another Year eventually, but probably for one night only, and probably on a night I can't go.

d.

« Reply #713 on: 16 November, 2010, 10:25:20 am »
The nearest & most accessible cinema for us isn't showing it. That chain will only show it in a few metropolitan cinemas.

Beautifully observed. I think there's some stereotyping, for ease of recognition, but it's not taken too far: the characters are all believable. I've met Mary, Ken, & Carl.

Mrs B reckons that the teenagers who most films are aimed at wouldn't appreciate it, because they haven't lived enough to understand the characters.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #714 on: 16 November, 2010, 06:09:14 pm »
The Odd Angry Shot

As recommended by Wascally Weasel, it came across as an Aussies in Vietnam version of Milligan's earlier war diaries. More bawdy humour and beer than bullets, and worth it just for the scene where the shoebox contraption is presented to the padre.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #715 on: 16 November, 2010, 07:15:29 pm »
Surely the whole point of multiplexes is to show lots of different films rather than the same film 12 times at once? >:(

No. The purpose of multiplexes is to sell grossly overpriced popcorn and suchlike to as big a captive audience as they can muster, hence why they don't allow you to bring your own. Hence why I wear a puffy coat with an inside pocket, large enough to fit a half bottle of wine and my own supermarket bought snacks. :smug:
Anyway, that's why they show Harry Potter non stop. Because lots of people want to see it on the big screen. They won't sell so much overpriced junk food if there are fewer mugs customers to but it.

citoyen

« Reply #716 on: 17 November, 2010, 12:03:17 pm »
No. The purpose of multiplexes is to sell grossly overpriced popcorn and suchlike to as big a captive audience as they can muster, hence why they don't allow you to bring your own.

Indeed. And this will be why they've done away with separate ticket desk and "food" counter - if you want to buy a ticket, you have to join the same queue as for the buckets of popcorn and half-gallon vats of luridly coloured fizzy pop. (This is why I always book tickets online and use the automated ticket machine.)

Hence why I wear a puffy coat with an inside pocket, large enough to fit a half bottle of wine and my own supermarket bought snacks. :smug:

Ha! Good work.

I tend not to bother - I can usually last a couple of hours without feeling the need to fill my face - but if I want to take a drink or snacks in with me, I'll hide them in my wife's handbag.

Anyway, that's why they show Harry Potter non stop. Because lots of people want to see it on the big screen. They won't sell so much overpriced junk food if there are fewer mugs customers to but it.

Fortunately, I've found a cinema that's showing Another Year on Saturday evening so we're going there instead. And a very lovely cinema it is too - it's a bit of a trek, but it'll be worth it. It's a proper grown-up cinema - I don't think they sell popcorn, but they do offer home-made cakes and pastries.

d.

LEE

« Reply #717 on: 17 November, 2010, 12:22:06 pm »
"Jean de Florette" and "Manon des Sources" double DVD just arrived from Play.com. (only £6.29)

I know what the next films I shall be watching are.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #718 on: 17 November, 2010, 12:31:04 pm »

No. The purpose of multiplexes is to sell grossly overpriced popcorn and suchlike to as big a captive audience as they can muster, hence why they don't allow you to bring your own.  <snip>

I've not seen that in my two local multiplexes. In fact I've often been surprised that they don't have that kind of policy. I've often openly carried in food and drinks bought elsewhere.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #719 on: 19 November, 2010, 11:38:35 pm »
I went to see Harry Potter tonight. I enjoyed it. My "chocolate" raisins weren't very nice though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #720 on: 20 November, 2010, 09:23:39 pm »

No. The purpose of multiplexes is to sell grossly overpriced popcorn and suchlike to as big a captive audience as they can muster, hence why they don't allow you to bring your own.  <snip>

I've not seen that in my two local multiplexes. In fact I've often been surprised that they don't have that kind of policy. I've often openly carried in food and drinks bought elsewhere.
My two local multiplexes have signs saying no food or drink bought outside may be consumed in them.

But - nobody's ever searched me or Mrs B & found the cans or bottles we usually take in. ;)

citoyen

« Reply #721 on: 20 November, 2010, 11:43:27 pm »
Another Year.

Stunning. One of Mike Leigh's best yet. Lesley Manville is astonishing. As is Jim Broadbent. So glad we made the effort to see it. And I want to see it again!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #722 on: 22 November, 2010, 11:13:10 am »
Into The Wild.  Pretty harrowing even if you've read the book and know how it's going to end.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #723 on: 22 November, 2010, 07:42:05 pm »
No Country for Old Men.  Best film I've seen in a long time.

Ditto. Some very tense scenes, and a plot that surprised me a few times. I'd put it in the better half of the Coen brothers portfolio.

My only tiny criticism was the sometimes incomprehensible drawl of characters such as the sheriff. This was the first time I've ever wanted subtitles in a US movie!

(click to show/hide)

Completely OT, but looking into the cast afterwards I found out about this guy:
Charles Harrelson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #724 on: 22 November, 2010, 07:52:08 pm »
Quicksilver. Been trying to track down a copy of this film for quite some time as I'm gradually building up a collection of films which have a cycling theme.

The film stars Kevin Bacon as a bicycle messenger and has quite a lot of footage featuring cycling.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.