Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 939129 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #925 on: 09 January, 2011, 01:03:35 am »
Just been out to see 127 Hours.

IMO Brilliantly executed film. One of the best I've seen in ages.

And the sight of a whole cinema curling up in their seats in agony (including me) and watching through fingers at "the" moment was sort of amusing.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #926 on: 09 January, 2011, 02:00:37 am »
The Green Mile. Sublime.

I presume you are joking... aren't you?

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #927 on: 09 January, 2011, 02:15:03 am »
Lonesome Jim on bbc 2 & quite good it was too  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Clandy

« Reply #928 on: 09 January, 2011, 09:39:19 am »
The Green Mile. Sublime.

No, I'm not. In my opinion The Green Mile is an absolutely superb film.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #929 on: 09 January, 2011, 11:41:51 am »
Spirited Away.  I've seen it half a dozen times by now, but somebody else had never seen it.  Never going to object to watching it, though; if you've ever seen it, you'll know why.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #930 on: 09 January, 2011, 11:43:54 am »
I prefer My Fiend Totoro.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #931 on: 09 January, 2011, 05:52:30 pm »
I'm watching Grease just now.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #932 on: 09 January, 2011, 06:00:59 pm »

The husband won't let me watch it  ::-)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #933 on: 09 January, 2011, 06:07:10 pm »
Tell him the days of husbands owing wives are over and you can watch it if you like, and while you're watching it, he should make you a cup of tea.  ;D

They've just done Beauty School Drop-out and now it's an ad break.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Clandy

« Reply #934 on: 09 January, 2011, 06:16:19 pm »

That reminds me, think I'll watch Saturday Night Fever tonight.

« Reply #935 on: 09 January, 2011, 06:34:09 pm »
The King's Speech.

Mrs B wanted to watch from professional interest. I liked it. Colin Firth was good. I'm not sure about the casting of Timothy Spall, though.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Chris S

« Reply #936 on: 09 January, 2011, 07:17:40 pm »
The Green Mile. Sublime.

I agree. Cracking movie. Makes me cry when I'm drunk.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #937 on: 09 January, 2011, 07:35:34 pm »

Does he take you to see good films, then?

The Green Mile. Sublime.

I'm with Flying Monkey on this one; Green Mile is simplistic, sentimental mush.  It's not just that it is as emotionally manipulative as any of Spielberg or Capra's drippiest output; it's the kind of film which pretends to address serious issues (racism, capital punishment) but which is actually so synthetic and dishonestly comforting (e.g. only one of the prison guards is racist and violent, while the rest are all noble and kind) that it reassures the uncritical viewer into feeling that the problems aren't really that hard and are already being tackled by reasonable people.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Chris S

« Reply #938 on: 09 January, 2011, 08:14:19 pm »

The Green Mile. Sublime.

I'm with Flying Monkey on this one; Green Mile is simplistic, sentimental mush.  It's not just that it is as emotionally manipulative as any of Spielberg or Capra's drippiest output; it's the kind of film which pretends to address serious issues (racism, capital punishment) but which is actually so synthetic and dishonestly comforting (e.g. only one of the prison guards is racist and violent, while the rest are all noble and kind) that it reassures the uncritical viewer into feeling that the problems aren't really that hard and are already being tackled by reasonable people.

Goodness me - I never got any of that. I thought it was a film about how we (people) sometimes miss the obvious and throw away something that's fundamentally good. Ah well...  :)

noisycrank

• twitter @noisycrank
« Reply #939 on: 09 January, 2011, 08:43:44 pm »
Kick Ass - what it says on the tin.
If you don't like my haircut you can suck my socks!

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #940 on: 09 January, 2011, 09:14:29 pm »
Kick Ass - what it says on the tin.

Indeed  :thumbsup:

The husband and I are watching 'The Hunt for Red October'. The husband is claiming that its the extended version. I think he is making it up.

Clandy

« Reply #941 on: 09 January, 2011, 09:16:57 pm »

The Green Mile. Sublime.

If the film was about those problems I would agree, but it isn't, it's a fantasy based in a fictional thirties death row. If you wanted a hard hitting anti-racism/capital punishment film perhaps you should have found a documentary to watch. I maintain it is a superb film which achieves perfectly what it sets out to do: entertain.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #942 on: 09 January, 2011, 10:33:20 pm »

If the film was about those problems I would agree, but it isn't, it's a fantasy based in a fictional thirties death row. If you wanted a hard hitting anti-racism/capital punishment film perhaps you should have found a documentary to watch. I maintain it is a superb film which achieves perfectly what it sets out to do: entertain.

I disagree with you about the first part; I don't think it's so easy to disassociate the trivial purpose of the film from from it's subject matter.  But even if I agreed with you on that, I wouldn't bother with you because of my first criticism of the film; that it is emotionally manipulative rather than creating worthwhile characters or plot which can genuinely engage your real emotions.  This is something a fantasy can do - something that Spirited Away, mentioned earlier, certainly does.  Green Mile is schlock.

Clandy

« Reply #943 on: 09 January, 2011, 10:35:35 pm »

I disagree with you about the first part; I don't think it's so easy to disassociate the trivial purpose of the film from from it's subject matter.  But even if I agreed with you on that, I wouldn't bother with you because of my first criticism of the film; that it is emotionally manipulative rather than creating worthwhile characters or plot which can genuinely engage your real emotions.  This is something a fantasy can do - something that Spirited Away, mentioned earlier, certainly does.  Green Mile is schlock.

In your opinion. In my opinion it is an extremely good film that accomplishes its purpose: to entertain. The mark of a good film is it is over too soon. The Green Mile is over three hours long, but it feels much shorter.

As for Spirited Away, a cartoon? Be serious.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #944 on: 09 January, 2011, 11:01:29 pm »

And with that you lost all credibility as a film critic...  ;)

Seriously though, do you really think that animation can't produce films that are beautiful and worthwhile? Have you seen Waltz with Bashir, Persepolis, or Grave of the Fireflies? And those are just three examples. The latter, by the way, was also produced by Japanese outfit, Studio Ghibli, who did Spirited Away. It is one of the best war films ever made. The Japanese don't have the same cultural prejudice against 'cartoons'...

Clandy

« Reply #945 on: 09 January, 2011, 11:04:18 pm »
Well I find the unrequited friendship between Squidward and Patrick and Spongebob quite moving...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #946 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:06:41 am »
Hot Fuzz.  It helps to watch while relatively sober so you can get the references and notice that there are two sergeants played by Bill Bailey.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #947 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:07:03 am »
'Immortal' by Enki Bilal

Visually and conceptually stunning. Amazing mix of live action and animation. Every single frame of the film is a work of art.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #948 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:20:14 am »

You called Green Mile a fantasy, so I compared it to another one.  Green Mile doesn't show a fraction of the imagination, narrative skill, emotional honesty or respect for the intelligence of its audience.  What it does do, in spades, is ttreat its audience as emotional simpletons.

Chris S

« Reply #949 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:28:27 am »

You called Green Mile a fantasy, so I compared it to another one.  Green Mile doesn't show a fraction of the imagination, narrative skill, emotional honesty or respect for the intelligence of its audience.  What it does do, in spades, is ttreat its audience as emotional simpletons.

Ah well... I like it.

Yours
An emotional simpleton  :)