Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 940275 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1025 on: 24 January, 2011, 11:53:24 am »
Control.

Well, actually I'm only about half-way through as I took a copy to watch on a train journey over the w/e. Just got up to the bit where JD signed to Factory. Sam Riley's portrayal of Ian Curtis performing "Transmission" was superb.
Pen Pusher

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1026 on: 24 January, 2011, 01:35:47 pm »
The Tree of Wooden Clogs... beautifully acted 3-hour Italian neo-realist drama about tenant farmers at the turn of the Twentieth Century. And ultimately as depressing as one might expect...

gordon taylor

« Reply #1027 on: 24 January, 2011, 05:09:35 pm »
The King's Speech; just now (Orange Wednesday preceded by 'spoons, what a cheap date  ;))

I'm not a great royalist or even that up on the history of it all but all the main characters, Bertie, Liz, Edward VIII, Simpson the slapper and Churchill are just brilliant.

expect it to Hoover up at the Oscars

Mrs G and I  usually have diametrically opposite tastes in films, but we both loved The King's Speech. A film about a speech therapist and his patient seems an unlikely hit, but the audience's response at the end was loud and positive.

Beautiful, brilliant, spellbinding. IMHO, of course.

« Reply #1028 on: 25 January, 2011, 01:07:37 pm »
Inception

Quite good story, well made but unlike Mark Kermode def. not my favourite film of 2010
Stop analysing Strava and cut your hedge...

LEE

« Reply #1029 on: 25 January, 2011, 02:39:27 pm »
"La Jetee"

The basis for Terry Gilliam's "12 Monkeys".  A man stuck in a time-loop.

26 minutes of black & white photos with a narrator.  More a slide show than a movie.

Score out of 10?  I really don't know, it's so different, so minimal. 

OK, 6/10.  Worth watching if you liked the (excellent) Gilliam adaptation.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1030 on: 25 January, 2011, 10:22:15 pm »
"La Jetee"

26 minutes of black & white photos with a narrator.  More a slide show than a movie.

Never seen that, on my list.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1031 on: 26 January, 2011, 12:15:14 am »
Bloody Sunday, just now.  I remember being intrigued at the time it first came out by the involvement of Simon Mann.  A former Scots Guards officer and mercenary playing OC 1 Para in that film? 

When he turned up in the news a few years later, I was amazed.  Recognised the name as soon as it was mentioned.  Very interesting bloke.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1032 on: 26 January, 2011, 11:01:52 am »
Black Swan - wow!

I was a bit worried early on; that if there was much more of the self-harm stuff I would have to walk out, it was that painful to watch. Thankfully it shifted focus.

Wow.

And I just wanted to feed Natalie Portman some pies.

I've always wanted to do that too.
Well, yeah, she did need a feed. But then I guess it would have been less convincing with an actress that didn't look like a real ballerina. At least they cast someone who's always been skinny, and with a petite build, rather than forcing someone to lose 3 stone for the part  :hand:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1033 on: 26 January, 2011, 01:26:44 pm »
"La Jetee"

Chris Marker's things are all like this... as a film, 12 Monkeys is far superior. As a piece of art... who knows?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1034 on: 26 January, 2011, 06:17:39 pm »
"Fast and the Furious : Tokyo Drift" on the box last night.

An unappreciated modern classic. IMO.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #1035 on: 26 January, 2011, 10:16:15 pm »
'Le Serpent'.  French revenge thriller - very tense.  This is an 'edit out the commercials and keep-er' for me. :thumbsup:
Old enough to know better!

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1036 on: 26 January, 2011, 11:21:54 pm »
'Face', under-rated British crime drama.  Gets better each time you watch, one of the few good performances by Ray Winston but it reminds you that he can act when he isn't just shouting.

Warning: Product contains Damon Albarn (who is fine).

« Reply #1037 on: 27 January, 2011, 08:38:03 pm »
Dogtooth - Greek dark comedy / drama.  Very good.  Very strange.  I understand that it's up for an Oscar.

« Reply #1038 on: 28 January, 2011, 03:06:09 pm »
'Highlander', with the young 'un.

What a disappointment. Made me realise how much sword and fantasy films have improved.  Well, except that the Princess Bride did it better than any film before or since ("My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die").

Sure the story is good (well apart from the naff last 45 seconds). The action scenes are pure crap. The 'clangy clangy' swords hitting one another sound ridiculous and the sound doesn't sync with the action.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuzzy

« Reply #1039 on: 28 January, 2011, 03:41:01 pm »

What a disappointment. Made me realise how much sword and fantasy films have improved.  Well, except that the Princess Bride did it better than any film before or since ("My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die").

Sure the story is good (well apart from the naff last 45 seconds). The action scenes are pure crap. The 'clangy clangy' swords hitting one another sound ridiculous and the sound doesn't sync with the action.

Stone Him!

Highlander disappointing? s' a great film. One of the paradoxes about the film however is a Frenchman trying to do a Scottish accent playing opposite a Scot who can't do a Spanish accent ;D

« Reply #1040 on: 28 January, 2011, 04:06:40 pm »
If you'd asked me yesterday I'd have said it was great.

Re-watching it destroyed my illusions. It's just the fight scenes that really ruin it, most of the dialog is great.

Maybe it's because since I was 15 and first watched it, I've done a bit of fencing. I'd hamstring that Kurgan and have his head off in about 30s. And I'm not even good with a sword :(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1041 on: 28 January, 2011, 04:54:48 pm »

Princess Bride is (like Kickass and Airplane)  a bit of a genre-breaker; it's hard to take seriously any subsequent film you see in a similar genre!

But "sword and fantasy films have improved"? Have there been any this century?!?

(LOTR is the exception - but their budget was about eleventy times those who came before)

I'm not a fan of Highlander, but IIRC it looked quite good.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1042 on: 28 January, 2011, 11:03:36 pm »
'The Mechanic', new version with Jason Statham.  Had all the proper ingredients of a fast paced action thriller - contract killer.  What's with these murder for hire types listening to classical music before the big moment?  Remember Max Van Sydow in 'Three Days of the Condor' while he painted lead soldiers or something like that?  Loved Jason's valve stereo amp and turntable.  the XKE is nice too.  Definitely worth seeing on the big screen if you're into that genre.

« Reply #1043 on: 28 January, 2011, 11:18:58 pm »
What's with these murder for hire types listening to classical music before the big moment? 

Also the bad guy from Leon (Gary Oldman i think)

« Reply #1044 on: 29 January, 2011, 11:10:19 am »
Le Diner de Cons.  Old fashioned farce. Hilarious.  :thumbsup:

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1045 on: 29 January, 2011, 09:15:26 pm »
Le Diner de Cons.  Old fashioned farce. Hilarious.  :thumbsup:

It is a great film.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1046 on: 30 January, 2011, 08:41:09 am »
The Men Who Stare At Goats

Not at all what I was expecting and all the better for it. Very good.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1047 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:17:04 am »
The Indestructible Man!  300,000 Volts of Horror!  So shockingly bad, its actually good!  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049363/

« Reply #1048 on: 30 January, 2011, 07:22:31 pm »
Aftershock

A film by Xiaogang Feng

....story from the Tangshan earthquake in 1976.

Well worth watching, a great film  :thumbsup:
I wont say anymore as dont want to ruin it for anybody

Clandy

« Reply #1049 on: 30 January, 2011, 08:13:54 pm »
Surrogates.  ::-)