Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 940288 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1050 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:49:11 am »
Tangled. Disney's take on Rapunzel. My six year old enjoyed it but unlike some modern children's films (Shrek, the Toy Stories etc.) this had little to offer adults.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1051 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:44:54 pm »
We spent 7 hours yesterday watching La meglio gioventù (The Best of Youth) and eating and drinking - a great way to pass a winter's day with friends! If you haven't seen this Italian film, you should...

« Reply #1052 on: 31 January, 2011, 05:46:49 pm »
I've seen some of that v.good. It's on my list of DVDs to buy.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Chris S

« Reply #1053 on: 01 February, 2011, 11:15:14 am »
Lost in Translation.

In the category of "Films where nothing whatsoever happens" this is definitely my favourite. It's top TV wallpaper to fall asleep in front of, beside a blazing wood burner, on a cold winter's night.

Clandy

« Reply #1054 on: 01 February, 2011, 11:19:58 am »
Watched The Patriot at a friend's last night. What a steaming pile of bullshit. There's a couple of hours of my life I'm never getting back. You owe me Gibson you short-arsed tosser.

« Reply #1055 on: 01 February, 2011, 12:42:43 pm »
I watches a bit of "Cockles And Muscles" the other night when it was on TV. Went to sleep 15 minutes in as I was tired and has seen it before. If you haven't seen it it's worth watching. It's a French farce about a family spending summer at a holiday villa by the sea. Maybe I like it just because Valeria Bruni Tedeschi is in it ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1056 on: 01 February, 2011, 12:55:08 pm »
'Wall Street II - Money Never Sleeps' - it was OK, there were some good bits but the ending was so mawkishly ah-everyone-makes-up that it seemed crass. Michael Douglas still has that je ne sais crois about him.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1057 on: 01 February, 2011, 02:03:21 pm »
I watches a bit of "Cockles And Muscles" the other night when it was on TV. Went to sleep 15 minutes in as I was tired and has seen it before. If you haven't seen it it's worth watching. It's a French farce about a family spending summer at a holiday villa by the sea. Maybe I like it just because Valeria Bruni Tedeschi is in it ...

I started watching it but gave up after half an hour when I'd had enough of its smug middle-class egotism. I really couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters. For me, it epitomised everything that is bad about French cinema.

YMMV.  ;)

d.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1058 on: 01 February, 2011, 02:11:00 pm »
'Wall Street II - Money Never Sleeps' - it was OK, there were some good bits but the ending was so mawkishly ah-everyone-makes-up that it seemed crass. Michael Douglas still has that je ne sais crois about him.

You don't know that you believe... ?  You can't believe you're watching such a ham?  You can't quite fathom how he could be such a blurry and diminished reflection of his father?  I know how you feel.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1059 on: 01 February, 2011, 03:26:42 pm »

You don't know that you believe... ?  You can't believe you're watching such a ham?  You can't quite fathom how he could be such a blurry and diminished reflection of his father?  I know how you feel.

Ahh I think he is great! What I meant to say is that he has presence  :)

« Reply #1060 on: 01 February, 2011, 03:28:28 pm »
So does an overripe Camembert.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1061 on: 01 February, 2011, 05:54:14 pm »

Blimey Charlie  :o

Jakob

« Reply #1062 on: 02 February, 2011, 01:12:10 am »
The Kings Speech.

Incredibly simple movie, but very well done.

« Reply #1063 on: 02 February, 2011, 11:02:23 am »

Blimey Charlie  :o
I'm saying his 'acting' comes with a thick layer of cheese; which is fine, as long as the actor acknowledges it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1064 on: 02 February, 2011, 10:09:16 pm »
Withnail and I. 

Haven't seen it for years and forgotten how good it was.  Mrs Zep wouldn't watch it with me as Richard E Grant turns her stomache apparently.  This is also why I'm not allowed to play Bowie in the house.  ???

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #1065 on: 03 February, 2011, 12:51:31 am »
"Treasure Island" with John Laurie as Blind Pew.  Oh! ... and Robert Newton...
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1066 on: 03 February, 2011, 09:09:17 am »
Layer Cake.  Pretty good, an' loads o' killin's, but I'm going to take back some of the rude things I've said about Keanu Reeves being a big piece of wood.  I thought that Daniel Craig's tree-like interpretation of Bond James Bond was, well, acting, but he plays Mr. X with exactly the same range of emotions, which is to say none.  And he didn't get to shag Sienna Miller.  Michael Gambon is splendidly villainous.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1067 on: 03 February, 2011, 09:38:58 am »
Michael Gambon is a national treasure.  Saw him a few months ago in Beckett's 'Krapp's Last Tape' - brilliant.  I enjoyed Layer Cake.

« Reply #1068 on: 03 February, 2011, 12:49:01 pm »
No Country For Old Men. It was okay-ish, but didn't half drag on at times.  :-\
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1069 on: 03 February, 2011, 07:00:59 pm »
Lost in Translation.

In the category of "Films where nothing whatsoever happens" this is definitely my favourite. It's top TV wallpaper to fall asleep in front of, beside a blazing wood burner, on a cold winter's night.
Oh, I love that. It's all so subtle and tragic. And I love Bill Murray in just about anything.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1070 on: 03 February, 2011, 08:45:06 pm »
Lost in Translation.

Oh, I love that. It's all so subtle and tragic. And I love Bill Murray in just about anything.
Mrs B thought it was very Japanese. Lots of unspoken emotion. She liked it. So did I, but I wasn't sure she would, so was pleased.

Yeah, Bill Murray's good.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1071 on: 04 February, 2011, 01:27:05 pm »
The Men Who Stare At Goats.  Engagingly daft but on no account should anyone ever require Ewan Macgregor to do an American accent.  Doubly so if he has to say "fuckin'".

Murphy's War.  Peter O'Toole 1 - 0 Kriegsmarine.  I am hunting up the money for a remake with swearing in it.  Brad Pit as Murphy, sienna Miller as Doctor Hayden,  Jean Reno as the swarthy FOREIGN and Penelope Cruz as the not-required-by-the-plot local girl who gets her blouse ripped off by a German sailor.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1072 on: 04 February, 2011, 02:10:56 pm »
Mrs B thought it was very Japanese. Lots of unspoken emotion. She liked it. So did I, but I wasn't sure she would, so was pleased.

Interesting. Mrs FM (also Japanese) thought it was a racist and ignorant heap of crap (although she expressed these sentiments in far more subtle way!). Most Japanese people I know who have seen it (and it didn't do very well in Japan so not that many have) seem to have thought it was either offensive or funny (and not for the right reasons).

To be honest, Bill Murray sleepwalks through films these days. He doesn't act, he just does 'Bill Murray'. That said, I thought this worked in The Life Aquatic and Broken Flowers more than Lost in Translation.

Clandy

« Reply #1073 on: 04 February, 2011, 02:15:02 pm »
The Last Samurai. Had potential to be a very good film. Shame about the leading man.

« Reply #1074 on: 04 February, 2011, 02:34:53 pm »
Bob Bon El Perro - really lovely film.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)