Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 940259 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1475 on: 15 June, 2011, 10:45:56 am »
French Connection. Had it recorded for months & finally watched it last night. It's shorter than I was expecting and if made today would be a lot longer. I don't think a bit of character padding would have done any harm.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1476 on: 15 June, 2011, 04:28:39 pm »
Brazil.  I watched it many years ago and found that I didn't remember much of the story, but the atmosphere and "feel" was just as I remembered it.
Brazil as well. I find so many little titbits in there it's worth rewatching.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1477 on: 15 June, 2011, 09:08:00 pm »

Elvira! Mistress of the Dark.

Cracking movie - had me laughing out loud   :thumbsup: ;D

How does that dress stay attached?
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

simonp

« Reply #1478 on: 16 June, 2011, 03:04:06 am »
Paul.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1479 on: 16 June, 2011, 11:56:13 am »
‘The Outfit’; Robert Duvall and Joe Don Baker taking on the mob to avenge Duvall’s brother who was murdered after robbing a mob fronted bank in the Mid-West.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1480 on: 16 June, 2011, 01:48:36 pm »
‘The Outfit’; Robert Duvall and Joe Don Baker taking on the mob to avenge Duvall’s brother who was murdered after robbing a mob fronted bank in the Mid-West.

Made into film from the book of the same title from Donald Westlake, writing under the nom de plume Richard Stark with a superb series of Parker novels.

And I don't hesitate in including these reviews from others:

"Whatever Stark writes, I read. He's a stylist, a pro, and I thoroughly enjoy his attitude." - Elmore Leonard
"Westlake knows precisely how to grab a reader, draw him or her into the story, and then slowly tighten his grip until escape is impossible."
- Washington Post Book World
"Donald Westlake's Parker novels are among the small number of books I read over and over. Forget all that crap you've been telling yourself about War and Peace and Proust - these are the books you'll want on that desert island."
- Lawrence Block"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #1481 on: 16 June, 2011, 03:08:21 pm »

Made into film from the book of the same title from Donald Westlake, writing under the nom de plume Richard Stark with a superb series of Parker novels.

"Whatever Stark writes, I read. He's a stylist, a pro, and I thoroughly enjoy his attitude." - Elmore Leonard
"Westlake knows precisely how to grab a reader, draw him or her into the story, and then slowly tighten his grip until escape is impossible."
"Donald Westlake's Parker novels are among the small number of books I read over and over. Forget all that crap you've been telling yourself about War and Peace and Proust - these are the books you'll want on that desert island."
- Lawrence Block"

The back of the DVD mentions the book and also says that Point Blank was written by the same author.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1482 on: 16 June, 2011, 03:12:14 pm »
Indeed it was.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

fuzzy

« Reply #1483 on: 16 June, 2011, 03:59:27 pm »

Elvira! Mistress of the Dark.

Cracking movie - had me laughing out loud   :thumbsup: ;D

How does that dress stay attached?

Magic of course (or most of the worlds supply of Tit Tape).

« Reply #1484 on: 16 June, 2011, 11:45:47 pm »

- Lawrence Block"

The back of the DVD mentions the book and also says that Point Blank was written by the same author.

Point Blank/The Hunter is damn good.  Hardboiled? Youbetcha. Just don't ever watch the Mel Gibson movie.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #1485 on: 16 June, 2011, 11:48:19 pm »

- Lawrence Block"

Point Blank/The Hunter is damn good.  Hardboiled? Youbetcha. Just don't ever watch the Mel Gibson movie.
This is excellent advice which also applies equally well to 'Edge of Darkness' (The TV original of which also stars Joe Don Baker to bring this back full circle.).

« Reply #1486 on: 16 June, 2011, 11:51:01 pm »
Reminds me, I must make an effort to see Edge of Darkness (original).

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #1487 on: 17 June, 2011, 12:02:54 am »
Reminds me, I must make an effort to see Edge of Darkness (original).

If you want, I might have the original VHS tapes knocking about (I haz replaced with DVD)?

To be honest though, the VHS crops scenes between start and end titles of episodes and the DVD is available cheap online (and well worth it).

I regularly rewatch it and aspects of it are starting to date but the core elements remain fresh, strong and powerful (and disturbing).  My favourite scene is still Craven and Jedburgh cooking up dinner in the nuclear shelter/timecave in Northmoor.  In fact just the word Northmoor still sends a shiver down my spine.

Out of stupid curiousity I did watch the new version when it came out - it totally flaked out on what I thought were some of the core scenes, in that they didn't have the break in and escape from Northmoor.

They also unsurprisingly totally lost the issues over the ambiguously close relationship between Craven and his daughter (the kissing the dildo scene being a case in point).   That stuff just gets more WTF every time I rewatch. 

I genuinely didn't notice that when I first saw it on its run on TV when I was a teenager.

« Reply #1488 on: 17 June, 2011, 12:16:50 am »
Very kind, WW, but I don't have a VHS player anymore :)

I'll chase it up on DVD.

But I'm pretty sure I have The Hunter/Point Blank in paperback somewhere, if you fancy reading it. 

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1489 on: 18 June, 2011, 11:38:20 pm »
127 hours. Another weepie.
It is simpler than it looks.

AndyK

« Reply #1490 on: 18 June, 2011, 11:54:49 pm »
Paul. Laughed myself sick.  ;D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1491 on: 19 June, 2011, 12:58:39 am »

Great film... I watched it the other and laughed myself silly.   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1492 on: 19 June, 2011, 07:41:23 am »

Great film... I watched it the other and laughed myself silly.   :thumbsup:

We watched Paul last night. Very, very funny. some true nerdy moments too :thumbsup:

« Reply #1493 on: 19 June, 2011, 09:05:19 am »
Inception.  SALT is part finished as the concert finished before I did.

« Reply #1494 on: 19 June, 2011, 06:09:27 pm »
I just watched Paul too, and it was very good, although I had to look up the odd reference to things like the Black Mailbox, which I'd not come across before (I know, I'm clearly not much of a conspiracy nut).

It's different from some of their previous stuff, like Hot Fuzz, and Shaun of the Dead, but I think it works pretty well. :thumbsup:

Three tits, that's awesome ...

;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

AndyK

« Reply #1495 on: 19 June, 2011, 06:26:47 pm »
I loved the 'Don't touch my junk' reference.  ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1496 on: 20 June, 2011, 12:42:04 pm »
I just watched Paul too, and it was very good, although I had to look up the odd reference to things like the Black Mailbox, which I'd not come across before (I know, I'm clearly not much of a conspiracy nut).

When I took that photo there were two dead cows within a hundred yards of the mailbox, but I suspect trucks were more likely to be the cause than the Lizard Alliance.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

« Reply #1497 on: 20 June, 2011, 06:33:25 pm »
Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.

Spawned a host of inferior British Gangster flicks.

Guy Ritchie peaked at his first attempt. 

Violent, stylish, clever plot line and, most importantly, funny.

8/10

AndyK

« Reply #1498 on: 20 June, 2011, 06:43:45 pm »

8/10

Snatch came pretty close to being as good.

spindrift

« Reply #1499 on: 20 June, 2011, 06:56:43 pm »

8/10

I've seen a better film on coffee. Beating up a traffic warden, how illuminative and original. Sexy Beast is the only good British gangster film since The Long Good Friday.

I'm not crying, it's hay fever, mmmk?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9kICnVozGKc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/9kICnVozGKc&rel=1</a>