Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 941555 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1500 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:09:24 pm »
I've seen a better film on coffee.

Try seeing one with no caffeine.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1501 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:22:48 pm »
Inglourious Basterds.

Patchy at best.  Hans Landa (played by Christoph Waltz) was a wonderfully sadistic Nazi, and the scenes with him were tense, if a bit long.  I also really enjoyed how Tarantino's dialogue seemed as dense and laced with references as usual, even in French with subtitles.

But the rest of it was shite.  Brad Fucking Pitt was awful.  The sub-Dirty Dozen crap was dire.  It was just incoherent.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1502 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:29:02 pm »
Age of the Dragons.  Danny Glover devours the scenery in the iron land-barge Pequod as Ahab; Vinnie Jones tries not to corpse as Stubb, and what starts as a So Bad It's Good fantasy remake of Moby Dick (white dragon, vitriol trade, the whole schlemiel) is ruined by two things:

Hollywood have to dick around with plots to staple on a pretty girl and a silly bit.

It's a freaking LAND BARGE.  All the psychological weirdness and compulsion that works in Moby Dick makes no sense at all when the protagonists can just WALK AWAY.   :facepalm:

Shoulda had dirigibles.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

spindrift

« Reply #1503 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:36:32 pm »

Guy Ritchie couldn't direct traffic on The Isle of Wight with a Belisha Beacon stuck up his arse.

LEE

« Reply #1504 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:38:33 pm »

Am I missing some coffee reference here?

I agree about Guy Ritchie...apart from "Lock Stock.." which I maintain is well directed. 

He basically invented a style (OK, it's based on his advertising background) and then failed to live up to it.

« Reply #1505 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:39:23 pm »
Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.

Spawned a host of inferior British Gangster flicks.

Guy Ritchie peaked at his first attempt. 

Violent, stylish, clever plot line and, most importantly, funny.

8/10

Snatch came pretty close to being as good.

Bloody hell, Lock Stock wasn't that bad!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1506 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:39:51 pm »

Am I missing some coffee reference here?

<<<< twitches
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1507 on: 23 June, 2011, 08:57:06 pm »
I just watched the original "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and it's not a patch on the TV series.  I didn't watch it that carefully, since I'm working, but I don't think I missed anything of significance (ie anything between the start and end). :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

spindrift

« Reply #1508 on: 28 June, 2011, 09:05:05 pm »
Atonement at the weekend. A real treasure, just beautifully done and heart-breakingly raw. McAvoy really did make some amazing films before he went to America and became shit. It's a film Hollywood would never make, they'd insist on a happy ending or suggest Dolly Parton and Burt Reynolds, like for Educating Rita. No, really.

It's simply gorgeous, from the moment McAvoy realises Briony has the wrong letter you are totally hooked, and the library scene is fantastic, two actors at the height of their powers. Just brilliant.

« Reply #1509 on: 28 June, 2011, 09:51:28 pm »
Indiana Jones And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark :thumbsup:
And it would appear that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is on tonight!  (BBC3 9PM)

Ooh, goody!  I know what I'm doing tonight then, crusty can snore away beside me after his 200k today.

We watched Tamara Drewe last  night, and rather enjoyed it.

We really enjoyed it - the graphic novel is excellent btw  :thumbsup:

Watched "Tamara Drewe" this weekend - enjoyed it too.  Good characters, good acting and the teenage girls were very funny.

We also watched "Changeling" the Clint Eastwood / Angelina Jolie one, not the 70's ghost one.  It's actually the first film I've ever seen with Angelina Jolie in it (I don't watch many Hollywood films).  I'd always just assumed she was rubbish, but she was actually very good.

« Reply #1510 on: 29 June, 2011, 08:55:31 am »
We also watched "Changeling" the Clint Eastwood / Angelina Jolie one, not the 70's ghost one.  It's actually the first film I've ever seen with Angelina Jolie in it (I don't watch many Hollywood films).  I'd always just assumed she was rubbish, but she was actually very good.

Try 'Girl, interrupted'.

Given the right role, she is pretty good.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1511 on: 29 June, 2011, 10:13:50 am »
Paul.  I larrffed quite a lot but then that's the effect Simon Pegg usually has on me, or at least when he's on-screen rather than writing pretentious autobiographies which go "and then I met George Lucas / Steven Spielberg / Harrison Ford" etc etc.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Chris S

« Reply #1512 on: 01 July, 2011, 11:19:40 am »
Paul is excellent.

The Marvin Gaye (Got to Give it Up) bar-b-q sequence is hilarious.

Paul: I don't know the words to this song. Nobody knows the words to this song...

« Reply #1513 on: 01 July, 2011, 11:25:42 am »
HEADS UP

Today at 1.30pm on Channel 4 is Stanley Kubrick's excellent 1957 film....Paths of Glory starring Kirk Douglas.

spindrift

« Reply #1514 on: 01 July, 2011, 11:31:17 am »
Another heads up:

Sunset Boulevard, Film4, 5pm.

Billy Wilder could do bleak as well as heart-warming and funny.

« Reply #1515 on: 03 July, 2011, 08:42:18 pm »
Ferris Bueller's Day Off, on E4 earlier.

The Eighties may have a lot to answer for, but this is one in the tick column.  Apart from the soundtrack, that is.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1516 on: 03 July, 2011, 10:04:54 pm »
Transformers robots in your pies.
What a terribly loud and annoying US military recruitment advert.

AndyK

« Reply #1517 on: 03 July, 2011, 10:07:06 pm »

The Eighties may have a lot to answer for, but this is one in the tick column.  Apart from the soundtrack, that is.

The soundtrack has some great tracks: Oh Yeah by Yello, an instrumental of Please, Please. Please Let Me Get What I Want by Dream Academy, March Of The Swivel Heads by The English Beat, BAD by Big Audio Dynamite, Radio People by Zapp, Twist And Shout by The Beatles...

« Reply #1518 on: 03 July, 2011, 10:21:21 pm »

The soundtrack has some great tracks: Oh Yeah by Yello, an instrumental of Please, Please. Please Let Me Get What I Want by Dream Academy, March Of The Swivel Heads by The English Beat, BAD by Big Audio Dynamite, Radio People by Zapp, Twist And Shout by The Beatles...

Well, it all matches the movie, so I agree up to a point. Nowt I'd listen to by choice, excepting the Beatles.

« Reply #1519 on: 04 July, 2011, 12:11:20 am »
Push, which wasn't half bad, although the ending wasn't as good as I think it could have been.

Dakota Fanning was quite impressive, playing a character who was a couple of years younger than her 15 at that point.

It was a nice concept, with a lot of potential, and filmed well, but the ending wasn't really that impressive, a bit of damp squib. :(
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1520 on: 04 July, 2011, 12:33:19 am »
In the Line of Fire (again).

Good fun film, although the romance with Rene Russo is a bit icky due to the significant age gap.  Malkovich has fun chewing the scenery though (and I think the guy who shot the duck got what was coming to him).

Edit:  The IRL age difference between Rene Russo and Clint Eastwood is approximately 24 years, that's actually less bad than some Hollywood movies and the film does point out that there is a large age difference between the characters.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1521 on: 04 July, 2011, 09:33:25 am »
Finally got round to watching The Hangover the other night. Well, most of it. Gave up after 50 minutes cos I couldn't stand it any more. I have to admit I laughed once - twice if you count a smirk - but it was all so hackneyed and obvious that I found it mostly just very, very boring.

Also, I don't mind films being preposterously implausible but there needs to be a bit of balance. The Hangover has had everything including the kitchen sink thrown at it. No restraint at all.

On the plus side, it's marginally better than Hot Tub Time Machine.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fuzzy

« Reply #1522 on: 04 July, 2011, 10:00:49 am »
In the Line of Fire (again).

Good fun film, although the romance with Rene Russo is a bit icky due to the significant age gap.  Malkovich has fun chewing the scenery though (and I think the guy who shot the duck got what was coming to him).

Edit:  The IRL age difference between Rene Russo and Clint Eastwood is approximately 24 years, that's actually less bad than some Hollywood movies and the film does point out that there is a large age difference between the characters.

I like In the Line of Fire, probably cos it came out at the time I was a Protection Officer and it made I larf and also struck chords in relation to how the Secret Service take over the world when POTUS flies in.

I watched a reasonable portion of Sunshine last night (seen it before). I don't know why some folk run this film down. I like the story and th FX are Da Bomb!

LindaG

« Reply #1523 on: 05 July, 2011, 05:34:59 pm »

I'm not crying, it's hay fever, mmmk?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9kICnVozGKc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/9kICnVozGKc&rel=1</a>

Ye gods I'm not watching that.  The trailer's just reduced me to a pile of snot!

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1524 on: 05 July, 2011, 06:46:52 pm »
Watched Werner Herzog's Even Dwarves Started Small again on Saturday with a couple of friends. If you haven't seen it, you have missed one of the oddest, most brilliantly deliberately provocative pieces of cinema ever made...