Author Topic: Charging Lights & Powerbanks at Controls  (Read 4983 times)

Charging Lights & Powerbanks at Controls
« on: 07 January, 2024, 03:33:08 pm »
Now this might seem like an odd question to be asking so far in advance, but I'm hoping to buy a new bike soon, and can't decide if I want to spec a Dynamo hub and Dynamo light and charger.

I managed PBP with a 20000 MAh battery which charged 2 decent LED front lights, as well as charging up a phone.
I only needed to charge it once during the trip and was lucky enough to find available plug sockets at the controls.

But LEL is a longer spin, and I was seriously considering switching to a Dynamo setup where I could avoid the Powerbank entirely and use daytime charging to top-up the Garmin satnav and phone.

What do others think?
Will it be relatively easy to charge Powerbanks at controls or is the demand for plugs just overwhelming?
Are extra Plug extenders put in place to let people charge up?

Thanks
Alan

Re: Charging Lights & Powerbanks at Controls
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2024, 03:37:18 pm »
I managed PBP with the same sized powebank as you, but LEL has drop bags so I figured I could swap powerbanks en route.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2024, 03:53:49 pm »
A dynohub tends to be a fit and forget option - you'll never regret it.

Charging at controls is something we controllers are taking more and more seriously as a H&S issue. You certainly shouldn't rely on this option being available and we will be deciding later on what will and will not be possible - it's very easy to overload a school's fuseboard with extension lead plugged into extension lead and multiple socket adaptors. There will possibly be more (official) guidance along at some point but, as you state, it's very early days so don't hold your breath (that's another H&S issue).
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2024, 04:01:08 pm »
A dynohub tends to be a fit and forget option - you'll never regret it.
Understood. But my current setup works flawlessly up to a 600km Audax, and for any long touring (where 'competition' for plug sockets and cut-off times aren't an issue)
Only for Audax events that are 1000km+ do I need to consider 'tactics' wrt to charging the powerbank.
And given I only plan 1 event like that every 2 years, you can see why I might consider sticking to current setup.

« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2024, 04:30:47 pm »
Just spotted this in the updated FAQ at https://londonedinburghlondon.com/faq#faq42

We provide limited USB charging at controls, at your own risk.

For just £5, we provide a powerbank charging service during the event:

Purchase an LEL powerbank in the rider area of the website when it opens, and we will give you a charged powerbank at registration.
You can then swap the depleted powerbank at any control for a charged one.
IMPORTANT

Sockets at controls must not be used unless clearly stated.
Any rider who unplugs other equipment to charge their own device will receive a sginificant time penalty.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2024, 05:07:49 pm »
Dynohubs don't fit in a velomobile (drumbrakes at the front) so I'm relying on a pair of powerbanks for all the lights.

Powerbank charging service sounds ideal for me, if said powerbanks are big enough (20Ah) and have USB-C with PD supporting 12V output. It would be useful if the specs of those powerbanks are published beforehand.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2024, 05:13:25 pm »
Pedantry - Sturmey make a hub dyno/ drum brake hub in both forks (standard bikes) and single-sided models (recumbent trikes).
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos-hub/?brand=sturmey%5Farcher

HK has one on her new-to-her Greenspeed recumbent trike.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2024, 05:17:39 pm »
switching to a Dynamo setup where I could avoid the Powerbank entirely and use daytime charging to top-up the Garmin satnav and phone.

This prompts the question - would a dynohub even provide enough power for that..?

« Reply #8 on: 07 January, 2024, 05:43:40 pm »
switching to a Dynamo setup where I could avoid the Powerbank entirely and use daytime charging to top-up the Garmin satnav and phone.

This prompts the question - would a dynohub even provide enough power for that..?

The dynohub powers the lights. The power bank is then just used for the gps and phone.  If you aren’t prolific with using the phone at every opportunity then a 20,000mAh power bank will easily keep gps and phone going on LEL over 5 full days with no need for external charging at controls or elsewhere.

« Reply #9 on: 07 January, 2024, 05:51:28 pm »

The dynohub powers the lights. The power bank is then just used for the gps and phone.  If you aren’t prolific with using the phone at every opportunity then a 20,000mAh power bank will easily keep gps and phone going on LEL over 5 full days with no need for external charging at controls or elsewhere.
I'm aware of how a dynohub can be used. It literally says 'I could avoid the Powerbank entirely'.

« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2024, 06:00:31 pm »
Don't know much about the topic, but would you need to allow for daytime use of the lights in poor weather conditions?

« Reply #11 on: 07 January, 2024, 06:01:24 pm »
In 2022 on LEL, I had a dynamo hub but didn't have dynamo powered lights. I carried two power banks, which I charged from the dynamo via a smaller battery. At controls where I slept I charged my light batteries, my used rear lights (I carried 6), my Garmin, my GoPro, my phone and my headset, all from one of those power banks. Occasionally I needed to charge my Garmin on the road.

In 2023, on PBP, I did have dynamo lights, and it was so much simpler!

« Reply #12 on: 07 January, 2024, 06:59:49 pm »
Indeed a dynamo makes it so much simpler for the brain dead rider.

« Reply #13 on: 07 January, 2024, 07:42:00 pm »

This item - while not yet released - looks like it would fit the bill.
https://nabendynamo.de/en/new-edelux-headlight-with-high-beam-function/

But given the powerbank rental option, I think I'll be fine.
I'll carry my own battery and top that up where I can too.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #14 on: 07 January, 2024, 08:41:19 pm »
When I rode LEL in 2009 I used the lights less than expected as, after riding through much of the first night I slept 11 - 4 most nights so did proportionately less night riding than on other events.

My Lumicycle system gives over 30 hours of light on low settings (which is good for anything apart form fast descents), but I expect I will pack a spare battery in my drop bag, and probably a spare powerpack to charge up other devices such as my Garmin.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #15 on: 08 January, 2024, 12:09:30 pm »
Now this might seem like an odd question to be asking so far in advance, but I'm hoping to buy a new bike soon, and can't decide if I want to spec a Dynamo hub and Dynamo light and charger.

Not meaning to be critical in any way, but quoting your very first line back to you, it sounds as though you really had your mind made up from the start  :).

The riders who have responded have largely endorsed a dynohub as being a hassle free solution but you're still going with batteries/battery pack because you only see the benefits of a dynohub in events longer than 600km. I see the benefits everytime I ride my five year old bike - the front light is permanently on and I don't have to even think about switching it on or what the state of the battery is.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #16 on: 08 January, 2024, 12:44:54 pm »

Not meaning to be critical in any way, but quoting your very first line back to you, it sounds as though you really had your mind made up from the start  :).

Not at all.
It's not that I had made my mind up, but more that I was trying to see if there was a NEED to switch to a Dynamo option.
I fully understand the benefits, but as stated, I only have this issue once every 2 years.
I appreciate the Dynamo would be 'hassle-free' even on shorter events.
The Powerbank rental option provided by the organisers will suit me perfectly, and given that they are providing this option, I must not be alone in having the issue.

« Reply #17 on: 08 January, 2024, 06:54:01 pm »
It's "one less thing to worry about": an important principle in audax. If you have a dynamo hub, then you don't need to worry about charging lights. If you have mechanical shifting, then you don't need to worry about charging the batteries on your derailleurs.  And if I have to pay a fiver to have access to a fully charged power bank (for a phone or GPS unit) at any control, then that's one less thing to worry about.

(You could argue that the power bank will also charge your lights, but waiting for a front light to charge can take ages, phones and GPS units charge pretty quickly.)

« Reply #18 on: 08 January, 2024, 09:13:50 pm »
It's "one less thing to worry about": an important principle in audax. If you have a dynamo hub, then you don't need to worry about charging lights. If you have mechanical shifting, then you don't need to worry about charging the batteries on your derailleurs.  And if I have to pay a fiver to have access to a fully charged power bank (for a phone or GPS unit) at any control, then that's one less thing to worry about.

(You could argue that the power bank will also charge your lights, but waiting for a front light to charge can take ages, phones and GPS units charge pretty quickly.)

Some lights will illuminate and charge simultaneously. My Exposure Strada does.

All things being equal, I agree that a dynamo is optimal, but modern lights and battery packs work well enough for me.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #19 on: 09 January, 2024, 12:39:05 pm »
It's "one less thing to worry about": an important principle in audax. If you have a dynamo hub, then you don't need to worry about charging lights. If you have mechanical shifting, then you don't need to worry about charging the batteries on your derailleurs.  If you have a paper route sheet, then you don't need to worry about charging your GPS unit.  If you have a feature phone or one mainly turned off then you don't need to worry about charging your phone. And if I have to pay a fiver to have access to a fully charged power bank (for a phone or GPS unit) at any control, then that's one less thing to worry about.

ftfy
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #20 on: 09 January, 2024, 05:21:03 pm »
I come at this as someone that has run dynamo lights for at least 15 years. Reason being commuting one hour each way 5 days a week. So by default I also use dyno power for all audaxing including LEL and PBP. For the longer events I carry a small 5000mAh power bank which I keep topped up from the dynamo during daylight hours. I did not have much joy trying to charge phone or garmin directly - they are happier with a steady supply; so it seems more reliable having the power bank.
The great up side to all this is that during LEL I did not once need to seek out a socket, think about where my next charge was going to come from, or have any delays waiting for a device to charge. Really does simplify things. ... and increases the smug feeling of self sufficiency.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21 on: 09 January, 2024, 05:37:36 pm »
Going back to the OPs question - it is clear that a dyno system will meet the needs and reduces risk and faff

I would definitely steer clear of relying on charging arrangements at controls

If you rely on a battery system, think about whether it needs upgrading - and then consider cost of that vs the dyno system.

Also consider whether you will be doing more night riding in LEL than PBP.  There is more daylight in the north of England / Scotland in early August than France at the end of August (about 1hr 45min extra) and not riding throughout the first night reduces the amount of night riding.  My experience of running catering at controls (Barnard Castle 2013, St Ives 2017) is that there were very few people on the road (e.g. arriving after midnight, leaving before 4am) which suggest most riders take advantage of the dark to get some sleep.

Where the dyno will have an advantage is in charging devices such as GPS.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #22 on: 09 January, 2024, 06:44:45 pm »
Charging at controls is something we controllers are taking more and more seriously as a H&S issue. You certainly shouldn't rely on this option being available and we will be deciding later on what will and will not be possible - it's very easy to overload a school's fuseboard with extension lead plugged into extension lead and multiple socket adaptors. There will possibly be more (official) guidance along at some point but, as you state, it's very early days so don't hold your breath (that's another H&S issue).

It's not really possible to overload a fuse board with multiple splitters (unless there's something already dangerously wrong with the building electrical system). Unlike other countries, UK power strips* have a fuse in the plug that will blow if a dangerously high total load is connected downstream, and in any case you'd need possibly hundreds of USB chargers to be able to overload a circuit. And even if you do somehow put enough load on a circuit for a breaker to trip, that will happen long before the circuit is dangerously overloaded.

What can happen is that USB chargers are often designed to leak a very small current to earth to suppress radio interference. Unfortunately current leaking is also how modern fuseboxes (those equipped with an RCD) detect and prevent electrocution. Many normally leaky or perhaps one unusually leaky charger being connected can cause an RCD to cut the power.

Neither of these is a healthy and safety issue, unless the RCD tripping also e.g. cuts out the lighting circuit.

This all said, it might still be prudent to forbid/discourage riders from bringing their own mains adapters by supplying multiway USB chargers rather than mains sockets. Or, more expensively, providing "mains" to those who want it from a camping battery power bank thingy.

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #23 on: 10 January, 2024, 10:13:50 am »
Mortagne-au-Perche control on PBP had an interesting 'cloakroom' charging system, where you gave your device and charger over to be plugged in to a big bank of sockets and received a cloakroom ticket in return, then reversing the process when leaving. Not sure it really mitigates the issues with charging identified above in the thread, other than the devices and chargers being constantly monitored.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #24 on: 10 January, 2024, 11:03:08 pm »

Maybe someone needs to setup one (or more) of these at every control...

24 USB-C ports, capable of doing 65W on 20 of them, and 65W on the other 4.

https://chaos.social/@LeoDJ/111700051694162324

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/