Author Topic: The greenfly apocalypse thread  (Read 1468 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The greenfly apocalypse thread
« on: 19 May, 2010, 06:24:18 pm »
Having noticed the suspiciously high greenfly content of my Twitter feed this morning, combined with the ones I encountered (and indeed inhaled) while riding yesterday, I began to wonder if something was amiss...

A Twitter search suggested that a greenfly apocalypse, possibly originating in Leeds, is in fact sweeping the country.

While YACFers are known for being well prepared for a zombie apocalypse, I suspect the usual precautions will prove ineffective against greenfly.  Are we doomed?  Or just the vegetarians?

Re: The greenfly apocalypse thread
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2010, 06:32:00 pm »
Dunno if it was greenfly, but on Monday cycling home from work, through the Essex lanes, I was bombarded by insects. I expect more of the same this evening. :-X

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2010, 06:43:29 pm »
There are references elsewhere on here. Take a look in "Have you been out today?" for example. Or on other cycle related fora. They are taking over the world I tell you. Run for the hills. Oh on second thoughts, that might not work. We need a plague of ladybirds.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2010, 06:45:10 pm »
Thoroughly bombarded in the Peaks on the way home yesterday evening - Thank goodness for my moustache: brilliant for breathing though and not getting the pesky things into the lungs....
Got home plastered green - almost completely obscuring the red YACF top.

Today, miraculously, they have all disappeared. I did see a couple of swallows swooping around, maybe they are all hiding..

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2010, 08:47:25 pm »
We need a plague of ladybirds.

Fairly sure we had that a couple of months ago...

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2010, 08:50:52 pm »
We need a plague of ladybirds.

Fairly sure we had that a couple of months ago...

Well that's crap timing isn't it. Come Ladybirds, get your bl**dy act together will you.

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2010, 09:00:24 pm »
I can confirm the greenfly apocolypse has reached mid Norfolk. It's such a lovely evening for a ride - warm, calm, and hardly any traffic in the lanes - but Oh boy... the bugs! Mostly greenfly by the looks of them - but clouds of them literally; I had to wear my Buff like a mask - it was awful,

On the upside, the Swifts and Swallows were having a feast  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2010, 11:07:58 pm »
Glad it's not just me - I just about drowned in them yesterday.

« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2010, 08:32:12 am »
They seem to get up pretty early too. It's one thing spending the evening picking them out of your hair and cleavage, but leaving the works shower spattered with them seems a bit wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2010, 07:20:13 pm »
David reported HYUGE number of greenfly appeared on the lupins this afternoon. Says they weren't there earlier today.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2010, 10:55:01 pm »
After thinking I'd managed to lie low by hiding in a cinema all day, I was ambushed by greenfly on the train back from Wolverhampton.  There is no escape!