Author Topic: US customs given powers to cache your data  (Read 7801 times)

Jakob

Re: US customs given powers to cache your data
« Reply #25 on: 22 May, 2008, 11:59:53 am »
  I don't want my handy password file and bank details and photos of my arse going to Untrusted Third Parties.

Why are you carrying that around with you?.

« Reply #26 on: 22 May, 2008, 12:18:28 pm »
  I don't want my handy password file and bank details and photos of my arse going to Untrusted Third Parties.

That Goatse website can help with storage of one of those files...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #27 on: 22 May, 2008, 12:21:21 pm »

Because I am a modern world citizen wot does stuff all over the place.  And I have a huge scad of passwords. 

More importantly, why the hell shouldn't I be able to carry my private data around without intrusion?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rae

« Reply #28 on: 22 May, 2008, 12:28:15 pm »
Because I am a modern world citizen wot does stuff all over the place. 

Remote server, VPN.   That's what a modern citizen would do.  Humping data around is so 20th century...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #29 on: 22 May, 2008, 12:30:20 pm »
But works when the net is down.   :thumbsup:
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rae

« Reply #30 on: 22 May, 2008, 12:32:16 pm »
When was the net last "down"?!

Back OT, I agree that this is an outrageous imposition.   Where I disagree is that the correct response is "oooh, I'll get some encryption for my laptop, that'll show 'em".   All that will show them is your bottom as they shove the rubber glove in.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #31 on: 22 May, 2008, 12:53:50 pm »

The final mile is all that matters, and that's got users on it.   ;)

Back OT, I agree that this is an outrageous imposition.   Where I disagree is that the correct response is "oooh, I'll get some encryption for my laptop, that'll show 'em".   All that will show them is your bottom as they shove the rubber glove in.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the response (moot, really, as I don't have the cash to fly anywhere since I bought that victorian ballbreaker)...

« Reply #32 on: 22 May, 2008, 01:36:31 pm »

The final mile is all that matters, and that's got users on it.   ;)

Indeed.

Due to DNS fookups Monday morning was the last time I was unable to get from desk to outside world.

Last month were also two major outages caused by infrastructure off site and outside the responsibility of both the company and support contractors.

On both those occasions my locally stored data continued to work, as did my pen and paper.   Had my "stuff" been secure at home and accessible only via secure VPN, it'd have been as inaccessible as the moon is to a goldfish.

rae

« Reply #33 on: 22 May, 2008, 01:43:15 pm »
Due to DNS fookups Monday morning was the last time I was unable to get from desk to outside world.

Last month were also two major outages caused by infrastructure off site and outside the responsibility of both the company and support contractors. 

OK, those of us with 3G cards can afford to be smug.

« Reply #34 on: 22 May, 2008, 02:08:12 pm »
Who is to say 3G will remain stable?

Major incident (e.g. 7/7 bombings) can take the lines down, whether through capacity issues or intentionally by the owners/authorities.

« Reply #35 on: 22 May, 2008, 05:39:55 pm »
Maybe everybody needs to start transporting as much data as possible in a format that is not easily compressible.  Before the last British Census I had wondered if there is a maximum permitted length for your name.  I had considered changing my name to something that was a few terrabytes long.

rae

« Reply #36 on: 22 May, 2008, 05:50:17 pm »
That's a better answer.  Arrive at their checks with a 2 TB USB drive full of videos or something.   Preferably crap films.  Sure, back 'em up, not a problem....

« Reply #37 on: 22 May, 2008, 05:57:09 pm »
Maybe everybody needs to start transporting as much data as possible in a format that is not easily compressible.

Easily countered. They can just seize the device. No need to have loads of storage to make a copy :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #38 on: 22 May, 2008, 06:07:30 pm »
Maybe it's just me, but why do you need to take your data on holiday with you?  I like my gadgets as much as the next bod, and on my last trip stateside took my IPAQ and used WiFi a couple of times to check e-mail etc, but was carrying bugger all in the way of personal files.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #39 on: 22 May, 2008, 07:23:15 pm »
Holiday is but a subset of travel.