Author Topic: Windows Firewall Warning  (Read 2114 times)

Windows Firewall Warning
« on: 23 May, 2008, 02:58:02 pm »
Every time I start up Windoze, I get a little blurb bleating about the ZoneAlarm firewall being turned off, when it's quite obviously functioning fine; if I bring up the ZoneAlarm display, it tells me how many intrusions it's blocked and how well it's all working.

How do I stop Windoze bleating? :-\

Re: Windows Firewall Warning
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2008, 03:00:09 pm »
Control Panel

Windows Firewall

And switch windoze firewall off.

That's all I did with XP.

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2008, 08:25:20 pm »
It's already turned off in Control Panel; the bleating tells me that it's ZoneAlarm firewall that's turned off, when it isn't.

« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2008, 08:29:27 pm »
Sorry, can't help any further then because that's how mine is set up.  :(

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:02:11 pm »
Assuming Windoze XP:

Control Panel

Security Center (sic)

On the Resources panel on the left, select "Change the way Security Center alerts me"

You can now elect to turn off Firewall warnings. I'd suggest only doing this if you are certain Zone Alarm is doing its thang.

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:12:29 pm »
Thanks - I actually ended up doing something slightly different.  I clicked on the 'Recommendations' button and ticked 'I have a firewall solution that I'll monitor myself'.  I'll see if that does the trick.

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:19:00 pm »
Assuming Windoze XP:

Control Panel

Security Center (sic)

On the Resources panel on the left, select "Change the way Security Center alerts me"

You can now elect to turn off Firewall warnings. I'd suggest only doing this if you are certain Zone Alarm is doing its thang.

Out of curiosity I just checked that and the relevent box is unticked.  I know I didn't do that!   

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2008, 10:10:10 pm »
I get a similar warning about Nortons not working, and I think all that is happening is that my Windows install has got so bloated, that during the boot up process, the bit of Windows that checks whether Anti-Virus is installed starts working before the Anti-Virus itself has started up.  Once Nortons kicks in, the warning disappears.  Something similar may be happening with your Zone Alarm install.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2008, 10:21:07 pm »
This happened to me for a while following a recent ZA update. Can't recall if I accidentally fixed it, or if a subsequent ZA update fixed it.