Author Topic: Which Blackberry? Question for Blackberry users...  (Read 1612 times)

Which Blackberry? Question for Blackberry users...
« on: 09 February, 2010, 09:33:00 pm »
Firstly, please no "I don't/wouldn't have" a Blackberry type responses...
Secondly, these are the only platforms of choice, an I-thingy may be better but it ain't on the list...

I have a choice between these:

an 8310: BlackBerry - 8310 & 8320 Curve Smartphones at BlackBerry UK

or
an 8100: BlackBerry - Pearl 8100, 8110 & 8120 Smartphones BlackBerry UK

My main reasoning apart from email on the go, is that I need a good pocket organiser that interacts with my computer calendar and allows me to jot down project notes, memos, reminders (I'm not a naturally organised person).
Years ago I had a Palm Vx which was one of the most useful tools I ever had, but work don't support that or any other platform than the B'berry.

So that's my choice.

The more expensive 8100 is smaller and neater, but I think the larger one will be better for my needs:
2 thumb typing on Qwerty... I'm used to this type of keypad (I cant do phone texting or predictive systems with any ease)
Bigger screen for viewing calendars etc.
Headphone socket, would double as a mp3 player with SD cards

Only thing is that neither come ready to use wi-fi, is that a big disadvantage?
Should I trya and hustle for the upgrade for the 8310?

What are users experiences?

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Re: Which Blackberry? Question for Blackberry users...
« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2010, 10:26:41 pm »
I've got a Blackberry for work, but I'd never buy one to use personally.

They need special server software to use email and calendars. Unless you get Blackberry service from your mobile operator. Unless you've got the software for work or something.

The phone's OK to use for email, I've got quite big fingers so typing is a bit of a pain.

Battery life is rubbish though. I don't use it much, and I'm lucky to get 2 days out of it.

Mine's a Curve 8900 or something. I don't know which, because it doesn't actually say on the phone anywhere.

« Reply #2 on: 09 February, 2010, 10:58:53 pm »
Well just got an HTC G3 and it does everything you seem to want and quite easily. But I'll leave at that as it is not what you want!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #3 on: 09 February, 2010, 11:23:25 pm »
I pretty much agree with Hulver, mine's from work and its main use is for reading emails. I only use it as a phone for work calls, and for all the real fun stuff I use my iPhone.

Have had the 8310 Curve though which has a reasonable GPS built in. You can run Sanoodi on that to capture gpx files while you're out and about.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

mzman153

• Slow is the new fast..........
« Reply #4 on: 10 February, 2010, 12:24:38 pm »
I had a B'berry from work with GPS which was invaluable but felt too tied to work.I bought a Pearl which I sync with my Yahoo Mail webmail account and it works fine.It has an onboard organiser but I havent used that to linkwith home PC but as it's alwatys with me I don't really need to. The camera, video etc are fine and you can fit a mini SD card for music. The worst thing is the predictive text on the keyboard but you soon learn to overcome that.The best thing is undoubtedly the cost. I paid around £100 for it and use it as a pay as you go on Orange.Topping up with £10 pcm gives 300 texts and unlimited internet and you CAN access wifi .Having said that I rarely use it for calls but I would recommend it.

I dodnt use any of Blackberry s software which is slow and not easy to use but the phone itself is simple to get working. I would recommend it.
Slow is the new fast......

Deborah

« Reply #5 on: 10 February, 2010, 12:35:17 pm »
I had the 8310 curve.  It was good for work on the go.  I looked at the Pearl and found that it was too small to work with.  The Curve, although difficult to work on, is less so than the Pearl.

« Reply #6 on: 10 February, 2010, 12:39:34 pm »
I have a (several in fact!*) 8310 and am very happy with it (them) although I have no experience with any other smart phone and am not a massive user.

We have a BES at work which keeps me in touch with work emails (if you turn off the sound it is easy to ignore and auto turn off at night is good as well).  I run googlemail and messenger on it and TrekBuddy for GPS navigation usage.  It will work as a modem for a laptop but is a bit slow as is browsing on the handset itself.

Battery life is OK, about a week usually, a morning if used as a GPS with the screen awake all the time.

My son decided to use one of the handsets and got a data contract for it rather than go down the iphone route which may say something!

* leftover handsets following upgrades and network changes

« Reply #7 on: 10 February, 2010, 01:40:58 pm »
Thanks all for the help.

Am gonna go for the Curve as the increased size will be (for me) easier to work with use when  travelling and the Laptop is too much of a fag to haul around or set-up.
Also like the headphone jack... how much music can you store on an HD card... you see, I don't have an I-pod....

Cheers
FF.

« Reply #8 on: 10 February, 2010, 02:30:18 pm »
how much music can you store on an HD card... you see, I don't have an I-pod....

The card is one gig which means 250 ish tracks if you have nothing else on it like maps, pictures etc.

« Reply #9 on: 10 February, 2010, 06:53:55 pm »
how much music can you store on an HD card... you see, I don't have an I-pod....

The card is one gig which means 250 ish tracks if you have nothing else on it like maps, pictures etc.

Thank you, most excellent!