Author Topic: (London.) Taxi from Victoria to Bloomsbury. How much?  (Read 4056 times)

gordon taylor

(London.) Taxi from Victoria to Bloomsbury. How much?
« on: 19 May, 2010, 06:11:08 am »
A London question:

I have some relatives arriving from Canada on Friday.
They are a middle aged couple and have never (ever) travelled before.

They are anxious about getting from Gatwick to the Holiday Inn, Bloomsbury during the day. What do you suggest? A £100+ taxi from Gatwick all the way in or the Gatwick Express and a taxi from Victoria to the hotel?

They will probably have big suitcases.

Re: (London.) Taxi from Victoria to Bloomsbury. How much?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2010, 06:14:50 am »
if they get a train destined for Milton Keynes (I think - might be bedford) it ducks under lundon and appears at st. pancras, leaving a five quid fare to Bloomsbury.

« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2010, 07:31:51 am »
I agree with what Mike says. Those are the First Capital Connect trains.
They must get a ticket before boarding the train - sadly I once saw a middle aged couple from the airport being fined by a ticket inspector.

The alternative would be to book one of the many companies which do private hire journeys to/from airports - I can't imagine this would be 100 quid, half that would be nearer the mark if I'm not wrong.
Make sure relatives get Oyster cards or travelcards for their visit.

« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2010, 09:51:46 am »
For people not used to London, or getting of trains at unknown stops, the Gatwick Express and a cab would be easiest.

Gatwick Express is about £15 for a single, £25 for a return.

If they're ok with trains then the St Pancras option (it is the Bedford train) which stops at East Croydon, London Bridge, Blackfriars, City Thameslink, Farringdon, St Pancras and lots more to Bedford. They're every 15 minutes during the day.

As for a taxi:-

Taxi fares | Transport for London

Just over 4 miles for Victoria to Bloomsbury, so anything from £11 to £20 depending on time of day and traffic.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2010, 10:10:22 am »

The direct (cheaper) trains shown are First Capital Connect - The others are Gatwick Express to Victoria and then ongoing via the tube (not recommended).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2010, 10:23:01 am »
The Bedford trains do not generally run at weekends.
Getting there...

ian

« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2010, 11:44:15 am »

Or holidays since they doing some much delayed maintenance.

Victoria to Bloomsbury in a black cab is usually around £12 outside of rush hour and fairly straightforward.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2010, 11:53:13 am »
Make sure relatives get Oyster cards or travelcards for their visit.

I second that - you can get PAYG ones you top up at will. My Canadian Business partner used one when he was over in March. Topped up with cash at the machines in the ticket offices.
It is simpler than it looks.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #8 on: 19 May, 2010, 12:18:55 pm »
Yes, those trains to St Pancras are the easiest - far better than Gatwick express plus Tube if you have luggage. They do only run during the week though - highly annoying.

I second (third?) what Scumoftheroad said - I had a stand up row with a ticket goon man over which stations constituted London, and across London, and through London, and why the hell a return ticket from one part of London to another was not valid in St Pancras, last time I checked, also a part of London. Make sure you buy the right ticket, is what I'm basically saying!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #9 on: 19 May, 2010, 01:08:57 pm »
Cab from Victoria to Bloomsbury is about £20 in normal traffic.

That said I am tempted to turn up with the trike and trailer and put on a full on cockney accent just to liven things up lol
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #10 on: 20 May, 2010, 02:21:19 pm »

£12- much nearer the mark.  During the day, use Embankment and then up Kingsway is quickest.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 24 May, 2010, 06:46:30 am »
I've got a FCC train to the Dunwich Dynamo from Bedford for the last four years, although whether it goes any further than St Pancras, I don't know.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

gordon taylor

« Reply #12 on: 24 May, 2010, 08:16:27 am »

£12- much nearer the mark.  During the day, use Embankment and then up Kingsway is quickest.

£12 is exactly what it cost.  :thumbsup:

The couple (from the Canadian sticks and nervous) loved London and were stunned by the crowds, the historic buildings, the cleanliness and the lack of "street people" - in comparison to, say, Toronto. They were full of praise for the slick Gatwick Express a Virgin First Class journey yesterday left them gobsmacked. Neither of the pair had been on a plane or a train for over 30 years.

When I joined them In London, we used the (jam-packed) tube for one journey but cabs for the rest. They loved the spotless cabs too. Well done London!

Pity the post-theatre cycle taxi guy got lost then ripped them off, though.  ::-)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 25 May, 2010, 06:40:47 am »
The couple (from the Canadian sticks and nervous) loved London and were stunned by the crowds, the historic buildings, the cleanliness and the lack of "street people" - in comparison to, say, Toronto.

/crosses Toronto off list of places to visit  :o
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #14 on: 25 May, 2010, 06:44:50 am »
The couple (from the Canadian sticks and nervous) loved London and were stunned by the crowds, the historic buildings, the cleanliness and the lack of "street people" - in comparison to, say, Toronto.

/crosses Toronto off list of places to visit  :o

Not sure that's a fair comparison. Toronto is a more modern city than London but where in North America isn't? It lacks old buildings but is certainly no dirtier than London nor does it have a bigger number of homeless people.