Author Topic: Fainted  (Read 2711 times)

Fainted
« on: 21 May, 2012, 10:11:50 am »
I went out like a light on Saturday night.   In a pub surrounded by YACFers! 

Laughing at a joke, then I started coughing and couldn't stop.  Next thing I knew I was picking myself up and wondering what had happened.  I seem to recall a buzzing sound as well ?    Only physical damage was a split lip from kissing the table.

That's the 2nd time this year I've fainted. The first time I was ill with food poisoning, I had to get up in the middle of the night & sprint for the toilet. Things started to go black and I got myself onto the floor before passing out completely.

I had a bad throat/chest infection earlier in the year and was coughing uncontrollably, there were several times I thought I was going to pass out.

GP's appointment on Wednesday  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Fainted
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:16:45 am »
That's scary.

I've come close several times, similar to yourself. Start coughing, can't get air, ended up on the floor.

Medication I take now has completely sorted it out - and is for my stomach!  Hope your GP takes you seriously and you get sorted out.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:26:35 am »
Ooooh, we had a patient in with those symptoms (he came in for something else but had this too) when I was nursing.

He had something called cough syncope.  If I remember correctly, coughing increases the pressure inside your chest and in some people this is enough to prevent enough blood getting to the brain for a few seconds.  If I understood it correctly, it's not dangerous in itself, but you need to be careful when driving/cycling in traffic/etc in case you pass out and put yourself in danger.  In other words, if you have a coughing fit, pull over  :)

Note, IANAD, and I haven't even been a nurse for a very long time, but it does sound similar  :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:31:01 am »
blood pressure related maybe?

Seeing the doc is obviously the right move.Hope it is nothing at all serious & that your lip heals quickly.

It's as well that you have posted this here to dismiss any misconceptions.
From elsewhere on the forum I had the impression that the damage & k.o were associated with a cock & Kim
  ;D

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2012, 11:13:03 am »
Glad that you have booked an appointment, Andrew.  It's probably something that may be controlled very simply.  Beat wishes, matey.

Just how Ninja is Kim? I was sitting between the two of you at dinner.  One minute you were laughing at a picture you'd taken of her, the next second you were down with a split lip.  No-one even saw her move!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2012, 07:31:40 pm »
Hope its nothing serious but glad you are going to see a Dr about it.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2012, 07:35:50 pm »

Oh good.  Now I shan't have to be dreadfully parental and nag.

Trust me on this (or ask those ho have been nagged by me to Do The Right Thing and just go see the doc/dentist).  You don't want me on your case about it.  Really.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 21 May, 2012, 07:42:26 pm »

Trust me on this (or ask those ho have been nagged by me to Do The Right Thing and just go see the doc/dentist).  You don't want me on your case about it.  Really.

that reminds me........

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 21 May, 2012, 07:43:53 pm »
Fainting is not dangerous per se, but hitting the ground while unconscious is dangerous, because you don't put out your hands to save yourself.  The doctor should do an ECG and take your blood pressure, just in case.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2012, 07:54:42 pm »
RZ's post has it, I think.

« Reply #10 on: 21 May, 2012, 08:04:22 pm »

Good.

There is a number of potential causes, mostly transient / benign / controllable / etc., and the likelihood is that in your case it’s one of those. But there is a few that need to be excluded such as heart rhythm abnormalities.

« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:35:15 pm »
Fainting is not dangerous per se, but hitting the ground while unconscious is dangerous,

Yes.   Kissing wood* wasn't enjoyable..............

* the table of course. What else were you thinking of .......?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #12 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:43:20 pm »

* the table of course. What else were you thinking of .......?

I was thinking that you is bragging ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 22 May, 2012, 12:39:26 am »
Fainting is dangerous if people try to keep you upright while you faint.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #14 on: 22 May, 2012, 08:15:32 pm »

The only time I've fainted I was already at[/] the dentist's
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #15 on: 23 May, 2012, 01:31:34 pm »
Well a fairly quick consultation....

Heart OK (stethoscope) Blood pressure OK.  Lots of questions about lifestyle .... she seemed astonished that I regarded a 40 mile bike ride as not very far....

She thinks it was a coughing syncope, which according to my own googling is a perfect fit to the events.

Got to have some blood tests and it would probably be a good idea to lose some weight (currently 98Kg)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #16 on: 23 May, 2012, 02:11:48 pm »
Well a fairly quick consultation....

Heart OK (stethoscope) Blood pressure OK.  Lots of questions about lifestyle .... she seemed astonished that I regarded a 40 mile bike ride as not very far....

She thinks it was a coughing syncope, which according to my own googling is a perfect fit to the events.

Got to have some blood tests and it would probably be a good idea to lose some weight (currently 98Kg)

they always say that. I expect it gets noted at autopsies ::-)

« Reply #17 on: 23 May, 2012, 03:51:16 pm »
Hope it doesn't happen again Andy. My daughter fainted in the kitchen last week while trying to butter her toast, but then she was poorly with the lurgy I gave her at the time. She got a nasty carpet burn on her shoulder from landing on the kitchen mat. It could have been worse, she could have landed on the knife she was holding  :o

The word 'syncope' isn't a diagnosis, it is just the correct medical term for fainting. It doesn't imply a cause other than the brain temporarily clocked out due to lack of oxygen (which can be lack of oxygen carried by the blood or a lack of blood supply getting to the brain although what does get there is carrying a normal level of oxygen). I expect the fainting while coughing thing is a haemodynamic thing (vagus nerve being stimulated probably), and from other posts above might not be all that uncommon although I've never seen anyone do it! GWS.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 23 May, 2012, 04:29:48 pm »
Cough syncope is commoner in old folk with long-term lung disease.
Micturition syncope can trouble old blokes with proste problems.

Breath-holding whilst straining (Valsalva manoeuvre) is the common cause. Some people are more sensitive and prone to this.

« Reply #19 on: 31 May, 2012, 11:33:19 am »
Just phoned up for the blood test results.  All OK apart from cholesterol which is high.   Advised to go on a low fat diet & repeat the test in 12 months.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #20 on: 31 May, 2012, 11:38:41 am »
 :thumbsup:
I got the same comment about cholesterol at a recent age-specific check with my GP.
I think they tell everyone that