Linked Events

• Tyne Tunnel: 15 October, 2011

Author Topic: Tyne Tunnel  (Read 27603 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Tyne Tunnel
« Reply #150 on: 05 January, 2014, 12:37:47 am »
Just putting this out there again.  Reminiscing about a lovely, lovely day.  Bump.  Or whatever.

I quite like lovely days.  And tunnels.  Especially ones that aren't encapsulated by a COR mudbath.  Just sayin'...

Ruth

« Reply #151 on: 05 January, 2014, 10:37:09 am »
Yeah me too Kim.  Just sayin'.

« Reply #152 on: 05 January, 2014, 01:07:09 pm »
Thread-watching with interest...

« Reply #153 on: 05 January, 2014, 01:38:03 pm »
Not been riding in that part of the world since I did the C2C/Reivers Route trip years ago, when I was a neophyte cycle tourer.   Had to spend an extra day in Tynemouth while waiting for an LBS to replace some spokes in my rear wheel. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #154 on: 05 January, 2014, 03:07:11 pm »
Thread-watching with interest...

Actually, scratch that, start a new thread with the year in the title an' evrythin' and then it's got to happen! New beginnings and all that :)  :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #155 on: 05 January, 2014, 04:19:31 pm »
Are the tunnels back open again then? I thought they were shut for roadworks.

[eta] BN: They're still shut
GN: They re-open in August :D

http://www.tynepedestrianandcyclisttunnels.co.uk/
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

DaleFTW

« Reply #156 on: 05 January, 2014, 06:01:05 pm »

Still shut. I've used the bus a couple of times and it's been fine mind, but obviously misses the point.

« Reply #157 on: 08 January, 2014, 05:24:26 pm »
Still shut. I've used the bus a couple of times and it's been fine mind, but obviously misses the point.

How full does the bus get? I know they say they have capacity for 16 bikes. I was just wondering what the chances might be of all getting on the same bus if say 12 of us all roll up together?

If that would be an issue  we could:

a) wait until the tunnel opens again in August

b) do a variation of the route possibly abandoning the ferry/tunnel part but starting at say the blinking eye bridge and then working upstream covering every bridge we can to see how far we can get (anyone any ideas how to do cycle the rail only bridges?)

c) go for a combined cycle and kayak trip - making a symbolic water crossing somewhere above the pedestrian tunnel route (I've done this on the Wear as part of a "most convoluted commute" competition but the Tyne is a rather wider river with a lot more traffic on it and I'm not sure if my paddling skills are up to it these days to kayak across with a bike balanced on the spraydeck ...)

d) go for a ride somewhere else now and come back to this in August

DaleFTW

« Reply #158 on: 09 January, 2014, 12:50:58 pm »
Our club run sometimes takes the bus - usually 6/10 people and not yet had a problem. Doesn't seem to be that busy outside of rush hour (I'm not sure how busy it gets rush hour tbh, I've never used it then)

« Reply #159 on: 13 January, 2014, 06:56:31 pm »
The bus runs every half hour, it wouldn't be so bad if a few had to wait for the next one.

As has been said sometime in the last three years, a good option would be to trundle up the Tyne Valley a little bit, maybe crossing at Bywell, and/or Wylam and/or Ovingham, another crossing option at Newburn.

I think Crinkly should be prevailed upon to do it on the new tandem.

Ruth

« Reply #160 on: 13 January, 2014, 07:06:22 pm »
Someone else needs to wear the Sorting Hat for this one as I probably won't be coming.

« Reply #161 on: 19 April, 2014, 03:03:28 pm »

Used the bus this morning; driver has had his contract extended into the new year, so he reckons the pedestrian tunnel will be closed until then at the earliest.

« Reply #162 on: 23 April, 2014, 11:24:29 pm »
..Feburary 2014? That has slipped a bit from july this year.

« Reply #163 on: 24 April, 2014, 04:07:24 pm »
It slipped from July to August 2014 initially. Now it's February 2015. The time to get worried is when the website starts just publishing the month of completion but ignoring the year. I was hoping for a repeat of the tunnels ride we did a couple of years ago sometime around September/October this year. That's obviously gone for a burton now (unless anyone fancies a night run through one of the road tunnels - somehow I think the chances of getting away with it are rather less than doing a night run through Newcastle down the central motorway because there's only one exit)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #164 on: 24 April, 2014, 05:35:07 pm »
Apparently it's due to finding Asbestos they didn't know was there - http://www.tynepedestrianandcyclisttunnels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/TT-programme_extension_final-PDF.pdf

They reckon they can fit 16 bikes on the shuttle buses, so we could do this ride and get shuttled if we want to do it this year. Sort of setting the baseline for cycling through next year :)

Ruth

« Reply #165 on: 24 April, 2014, 06:53:04 pm »
Shall we start the process of setting the date then?

« Reply #166 on: 25 April, 2014, 12:26:19 pm »
How about early/mid September - 6/7th, 13/14th, or 20/21st (said without looking at a calendar to see what other events are on around then). Alternatively we could look at something in July. I thin August is probably out for a few of the likely contenders because of holidays, birthday rides etc. I think it's going to take me until then to remember what order we did all the bridges in to end up crossing each one in the right direction.

I assume that we are aiming for the following crossings again:
Tyne Tunnel, Shields Ferry, Millennium (Blinking Eye) Bridge, Tyne Bridge, Swing Bridge and the High Level.  Redheugh Bridge is a bit pants and I don't think people would be happy if we went for the rail only bridges. If we did Redheugh we would then need to get down to Blaydon Bridge (need an even number of crossings to end up on the same side of the river you started from...). We should also aim to actually get as far as the lighthouse this time and not be diverted by the ice cream van...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #167 on: 25 April, 2014, 03:41:24 pm »
Early-mid September sounds good to me. I'd prefer the 12th myself as I'm hoping be touring for a couple starting August Bank Holiday, but any of those three would be fine. :)

Ruth

« Reply #168 on: 27 April, 2014, 10:48:29 pm »
I've booked some time off work in September.  My original plans have fallen through, so I could do the same as last time and incorporate the ride into a cycle camping trip.   :D

Ruth

« Reply #169 on: 28 April, 2014, 11:32:58 am »
Right, I have made a decision.  Weekend of 6/7 September.

Roll call, please?

Ruth

« Reply #170 on: 28 April, 2014, 11:33:56 am »
In fact, scratch that.

New thread.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #171 on: 27 November, 2017, 07:48:29 am »
I see that the tunnels are scheduled to open in the Spring.
If they do would anyone be interested in doing this ride? :)

« Reply #172 on: 27 November, 2017, 06:47:45 pm »
I'd be in, I'm looking forward to the tunnel opening.

« Reply #173 on: 27 November, 2017, 07:05:32 pm »
I'm interested if theres a  date that works for me :thumbsup:

« Reply #174 on: 27 November, 2017, 08:59:40 pm »
No opening date published yet but looking forward to using the tunnel again