Author Topic: Tommy Godwin, what a star!  (Read 1835 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Re: Tommy Godwin, what a star!
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2012, 10:35:42 pm »
Really enjoyed that!  :D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2012, 11:02:42 am »
Many thanks for finding that David.

With one of the slides showed Bob Maitland as well - with his demise Tom must be one of the few Olympians left from those games.

I have heard Tom and Bob tell tales of the "austerity" Games. The focus was on the athletes, not the trimmings (no comment!)

ps Tom still calls me "young man" - I'm 60!!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2012, 11:09:29 am »
No 'Zil Lanes' in 1948!
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 04 January, 2012, 12:00:56 pm »
When I was growing up on Anglesey in the 70s/80s, there was an old guy who used to trundle around on his bike, a serene expression on his face and often a pipe in his mouth. My dad later found out he was an Olympian - I can't remember his name but I think his event was the tandem track (sprint?), he may have won a bronze, I'm not sure. He must have been well in his sixties by the early 80s, so it could have been 1948 I suppose. Any ideas where I could and try and find out?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2012, 02:14:52 pm »
According to a book I got for Christmas, Tommy Godwin rode 75,000 miles in 1939 at a daily average of 206 miles.  Apparently he found it difficult to walk during this time!  The Guiness Book Of Records won't take any claims in this category now because they think it will endanger the rider's health.  This is the only reason I haven't tried. ;)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2012, 02:16:25 pm »
I suspected one of the Chambers brothers, but maybe Alan Bannister - the Manchester Wheelers connection (North Wales is a popular retirement destination for Lancastrians)... I'll ask my dad if he remembers anything more about him. He was a very modest man, we just thought he was a friendly old guy riding to the shops until the local newspaper published a piece about his exploits.

« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2012, 03:45:54 pm »
According to a book I got for Christmas, Tommy Godwin rode 75,000 miles in 1939 at a daily average of 206 miles.  Apparently he found it difficult to walk during this time!  The Guiness Book Of Records won't take any claims in this category now because they think it will endanger the rider's health.  This is the only reason I haven't tried. ;)

Not the same Tommy Godwin

« Reply #9 on: 04 January, 2012, 04:50:41 pm »

Not the same Tommy Godwin

Ah!  I must admit, I was a bit puzzled as the Olympic medallist Tommy Godwin got his gong for a paltry kilometre on the track.  As it was 9 years later, I just thought he'd had enough by then! :)

« Reply #10 on: 04 January, 2012, 05:01:34 pm »
I supposed that his experience in the war may have changed his riding style. I had visions of him riding a primitive turbo in a POW camp. A pity it wasn't him, we're left with two Godwins and no legitimate way of shoehorning Hitler into the story.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 04 January, 2012, 05:07:13 pm »
Hitler might be in there somewhere. ;D

Godwin the Olympian was an electrician, according to Wikipedia, in a reserved occupation, but the long-distance Godwin was in the RAF.
Getting there...

« Reply #12 on: 04 January, 2012, 09:38:07 pm »
Tom (trackie) worked at British Small Arms, as in fact did quite a lot of cyclists, including Bob Maitland. This was obviously a reserved occupation, as production focussed on armaments.

It's a bit of a sore point with Tom though, as he did try to join up, but the employer blocked it each time (as they could do).

Several of the BSA employees also made their own frames there. After the war Bob Maitland went on to form the BSA professional team.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #13 on: 04 January, 2012, 09:51:54 pm »
Matt Rendell's book about the 1948 road race winner José Bayaert  has a lot about the race (not surprisingly) including an interview with Bob Maitland. I'd put my copy in the yacf lending library but I can't find it at the mo. It's a good read about a very dodgy geezer.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur