Author Topic: Vuelta ITV4 Commentary  (Read 2804 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Vuelta ITV4 Commentary
« on: 26 August, 2013, 04:32:43 pm »
Sounds like a combination of a blunt saw and a blunt drill? Unlistenable and very poor show  :hand:

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Vuelta ITV4 Commentary
« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2013, 04:56:47 pm »
It was thanks to ITV4's Tour de France commentaries that I gave up after about four days and sold out to Sky.  ::-)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2013, 05:47:24 pm »
ITV4 has Gary Imlach for the introduction and summaries.  Always liked his style, and makes up for the second tier commentary team (I'm presuming that the channel has a limited budget for this, given the profile of the Vuelta compared to the Tour, so can forgive it just to have some coverage on terrestrial digital.  Fingers crossed this edition gets decent viewing figures as then they might also pick up the Giro broadcasting rights).

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2013, 06:03:53 pm »
I've no problem with most of ITV4's team and, yes, Gary Imlach is fine. But nothing and no-one can compensate for the crassness of Phil and/or Paul.  :hand:

Hillbilly

« Reply #4 on: 26 August, 2013, 07:17:13 pm »
*Reaches for the torture tools*

"Unbelievable Phil, this man is literally reaching into a suitcase of courage and pulling out his shirt of invincibility". 

Just made that up, but I hope you can hear Mr Sherwin blabbing away in your minds ear.

(I've the ITV4 coverage on at the moment.  Lost my attention, which is telling).

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #5 on: 26 August, 2013, 07:27:50 pm »
This thread is about the ITV4 Vuelta commentary - not Phil and Paul ::-)

And yes Gary Imlach IS fine+

Hillbilly

« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2013, 07:32:29 pm »
Only it kind of could be relevant, because Phil and Paul are the equivalent of Saturday's MotD presenters, rather than the ones that present on Sunday (which the Vuelta ones could be viewed as being). 

It's kind of saying the current lot aren't very good, but then again the alternative isn't much better.  That said, I tend to watch the coverage for the pictures, as I can follow the action absent mindedly. 

I have to admit to sometimes setting up the turbo trainer, putting on the coverage, and a bit of motivational music.  Then pretending I'm in the race, matching cadence, switching the difficulty setting depending on whether it's a hilly bit or a fast bit etc (not today though, as my legs are knackered from a long ride).  Surely I'm not the only one  :-[

Anyway.

Why do the helicopters carry microphones in the coverage?  What's the point of that - it's not as if you can hear the whirr of chains or the claps/whistles of the crowd.  Maybe they are hoping from the drama of a "Shloomp, sptsptspt" of a bird strike?

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #7 on: 26 August, 2013, 07:53:44 pm »
This thread is about the ITV4 Vuelta commentary - not Phil and Paul ::-)

And yes Gary Imlach IS fine+

But nothing and no-one can compensate for the crassness of Phil and/or Paul:hand:

From ITV4 website:
Presenter Gary Imlach and reporter Matt Rendell are joined by commentators Phil Liggett, Anthony McCrossan and Graham Jones as well as studio guests for the 21-stage cycle race,

So was  mine.  :)

« Reply #8 on: 26 August, 2013, 08:12:06 pm »
With his huge knowledge Graham Jones could be a great commentator, and to a certain extent is, but oh so soporific. Lovely guy though, very modest and underestimated as a rider. Met him once and he signed my copy of 'The Foreign Legion'.
Working my way up to inferior.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #9 on: 26 August, 2013, 09:26:30 pm »
Well, I'm still firmly in the "grateful for any crumbs" camp on this _and_ on the TdF coverage featuring P&P.  Hell's teeth it's "free" and it's not as if I could do any better. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 26 August, 2013, 10:24:42 pm »
Why do the helicopters carry microphones in the coverage?  What's the point of that - it's not as if you can hear the whirr of chains or the claps/whistles of the crowd.  Maybe they are hoping from the drama of a "Shloomp, sptsptspt" of a bird strike?

They don't. It is added later for 'realism' to remind you that it is a heli shot.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #11 on: 26 August, 2013, 11:58:34 pm »
They don't. It is added later for 'realism' to remind you that it is a heli shot.

Indeed, I doubt a mike on a helicopter would sound anything like a helicopter, which most of us don't know anyway.  We just know the sound that helicopters make on TV programs and films!

I though the commentary was OK.  Given the little coverage that cycling gets on UK TV, I'm also happy that it's on at all.  The team is tolerable, which is the best you can expect when ITV (and the Beeb for that matter) aren't likely to be willing to invest much money in cycle presenters.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #12 on: 28 August, 2013, 10:08:46 pm »
Like cartoon characters with five fingers, heli shots without heli sounds JUST DOESN'T WORK.

LEE

« Reply #13 on: 28 August, 2013, 10:15:46 pm »
Well, I'm still firmly in the "grateful for any crumbs" camp on this

Me too.

The OFF button is usually the red one in the top corner of the remote (useful tip for those who don't seem to be able to find it).

I don't like Eastenders so I switch it off. 

The pundits' commentary becomes background noise after a while I find, leaving me to marvel at top pro riders struggling to pedal squares up Spanish hills.

« Reply #14 on: 29 August, 2013, 11:56:13 am »
Well I thought last nights Ligget / Jones commentary was just fine actually.  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)