Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 859240 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #5125 on: 12 April, 2021, 02:27:09 pm »

France has the wealthiest billionaires In The World.

Egalite and all that

Move Faster and Bake Things

ian

« Reply #5126 on: 12 April, 2021, 04:53:10 pm »
Appropos of billionaires, I learned recently (I think I knew, but I hadn't see it put like this) that humans naturally think about numbers logarithmically, which is why we're not truly shocked by how gargantuan (and grotesque) an amount of money it truly is and what a vast gulf there is between a 'mere' millionaire and a billionaire. Top tip, trying plotting a million and a billion on a non-logarithmic scale.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5127 on: 12 April, 2021, 05:32:45 pm »

Egalite and all that

Are you sure about that?    The tope 10 wealthiest people are (in order):

- Jeff Bezos
- Elon Musk
- Bernard Arnault
- Bill Gates
- Mark Zuckerberg
- Warren Buffett
- Larry Ellison
- Larry Page
- Sergey Brin
- Mukesh Ambani

Only one of those is French.  7/10 are American.

The US has 10 times as many billionaires as France - and China has almost 20 time as many.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #5128 on: 12 April, 2021, 06:02:52 pm »

Egalite and all that

- Jeff Bezos
- Elon Musk
- Bernard Arnault
- Bill Gates
- Mark Zuckerberg
- Warren Buffett
- Larry Ellison
- Larry Page
- Sergey Brin
- Mukesh Ambani

The US has 10 times as many billionaires as France - and China has almost 20 time as many.

Examine the picto attentively and you will see it proclaims France has the wealthiest billionaires. Pro rata. US billionaires are ten a penny.

Move Faster and Bake Things

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5129 on: 12 April, 2021, 06:04:27 pm »

Egalite and all that

- Jeff Bezos
- Elon Musk
- Bernard Arnault
- Bill Gates
- Mark Zuckerberg
- Warren Buffett
- Larry Ellison
- Larry Page
- Sergey Brin
- Mukesh Ambani

Examine the picto attentively and you will see it proclaims France has the wealthiest billionaires. Pro rata. US billionaires are ten a penny.

Which picto?  You linked to something with 100 slides.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5130 on: 12 April, 2021, 06:43:04 pm »
A billion Venezuelan Bolivars is worth about three hundred and twenty-five quid.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5131 on: 12 April, 2021, 06:45:35 pm »
Appropos of billionaires, I learned recently (I think I knew, but I hadn't see it put like this) that humans naturally think about numbers logarithmically, which is why we're not truly shocked by how gargantuan (and grotesque) an amount of money it truly is and what a vast gulf there is between a 'mere' millionaire and a billionaire. Top tip, trying plotting a million and a billion on a non-logarithmic scale.

That explains how we can cope with computers without getting tangled up in metaphysical dichotomy whenever we have to think about gigabytes.

ian

« Reply #5132 on: 12 April, 2021, 07:03:33 pm »

That explains how we can cope with computers without getting tangled up in metaphysical dichotomy whenever we have to think about gigabytes.

Yes, and in the same way, a gigabyte isn't just a bigger kilobyte.

If you set your time machine to whizz you back one million minutes, you'll be enjoying the pre-COVID world of 2019. If you inadvertently set it to one billion minutes, you can wander around the middle-east asking people with beards 'are you Jesus?'

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5133 on: 12 April, 2021, 07:29:12 pm »
Surely you'd have to ask “Yea and moreover verily, art thou Jesus, the king of the Israelites, and the Ammonites, and the Midianites, and the Simmonites, and the Canaanites, and the Jacobites, and the Levites, and the Trilobites, and the Ishmaelites, and the Sodomites, and the Adnanites, and the Megabytes, and the Qahtanites, and the Cheesibites?” i.e. in English Just Like Jesus Spoke.

« Reply #5134 on: 12 April, 2021, 07:35:11 pm »
Surely you'd have to ask “Yea and moreover verily, art thou Jesus, the king of the Israelites, and the Ammonites, and the Midianites, and the Simmonites, and the Canaanites, and the Jacobites, and the Levites, and the Trilobites, and the Ishmaelites, and the Sodomites, and the Adnanites, and the Megabytes, and the Qahtanites, and the Cheesibites?” i.e. in English Just Like Jesus Spoke.

And thou shalt knoweth it is He, when He doth reply with benedictions unto the cheese makers...

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5135 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:06:08 pm »

If you set your time machine to whizz you back one million minutes, you'll be enjoying the pre-COVID world of 2019. If you inadvertently set it to one billion minutes, you can wander around the middle-east asking people with beards 'are you Jesus?'

Just look for someone who resembles David Essex in a nightdress.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5136 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:27:59 pm »

You forgot the Marmites.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5137 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:29:26 pm »

You forgot the Marmites.

And the Stalagmites & Stalactites.

« Reply #5138 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:29:50 pm »

You forgot the Marmites.

Plus the Armalites and Cenobites.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5139 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:31:35 pm »
And the Coprolites.

« Reply #5140 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:35:01 pm »
Vitalites...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5141 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:42:11 pm »
And the complete and utter shites.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5142 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:48:22 pm »
That the French are voting on making short haul internal flights illegal in favour of the train.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5143 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:51:26 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5144 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:56:15 pm »
And the Wonderlites (remember them?).

[“They were Wonder Lights, clot!” – Ed.]

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5145 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:56:50 pm »

Just look for someone who resembles David Essex in a nightdress.
It isn't Jesus. It's just a fella
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5146 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:56:59 pm »
And the complete and utter shites.

AKA the Bagoshites.

« Reply #5147 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:57:29 pm »
And the Wonderlites (remember them?).

[“They were Wonder Lights, clot!” – Ed.]

Conquered and assimilated by the Maglites. ;)

« Reply #5148 on: 13 April, 2021, 06:50:31 am »
Not forgetting the Chi-Lites!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5149 on: 13 April, 2021, 07:13:18 am »
That the French are voting on making short haul internal flights illegal in favour of the train.
Ah, the Pasdeflites?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?