Author Topic: ***CoronaBonus***  (Read 64568 times)

Re: ***CoronaBonus***
« Reply #150 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:03:11 pm »
It's really quiet outside  :thumbsup:
And it's starting to smell better

« Reply #151 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:24:11 pm »
It's really quiet outside  :thumbsup:
And it's starting to smell better

I'm not.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #152 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:32:29 pm »
I'd forgotten that back when I was WFH regularly, I used to see marsh harriers* from my office window, mostly floating over the woods. Spotted them again yesterday afternoon.

Been hearing a lot of woodpeckers but haven't spotted any yet, greater or lesser.

*unconfirmed, and I'm no ornithologist, but after much detective work, I'm pretty sure that's what they are.
havent seen "my" woodpeckers for a few days.  I'v watched a pair chasing each other round a telegraph pole for hours on end
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #153 on: 25 March, 2020, 09:08:50 pm »
And some "socially responsible" pavement graffiit: "This is 2m".

Ooh - I like that idea and may have to steal it! (People round here apparently have no idea what 2m is... >:()

Martin

« Reply #154 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:04:38 pm »
anyone else having trouble convincing parents to stay in? My mum is getting the bus into the large town to buy food for the wild birds  :-\

I don't see how that is a "bonus". Good news only pleeeeaaasseee

sorry misread the title I though the main CV thread had moved here  :-[

fwiw now I've chanced upon it I think this is a pretty sick (and publicly viewable) thread as for millions around the world and many thousands dead there is NO bonus but keep posting if it makes you all feel better

« Reply #155 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:37:25 pm »
Birds watched from my Home Office:

Loads of blue tits.
Ditto starlings
A pair of buzzards
A red kite
An unknown raptor, smaller than a buzzard and wrong wing shape, being taunted by a crow. I'm suspecting either a kestrel or a sparrow hawk.

Bonus things to make me smile:
The noise of squealing kids playing in the neighbouring garden
The rainbow things the kids downstair havestuck to the window.
People smiling and saying hello (from a safe distance) when I nipped out for shopping.

Wossat, then?
There's at least a couple in my street.
Rainbow things.
Not kids downstairs - although tbf, there's probably a few of those as well.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #156 on: 25 March, 2020, 11:31:49 pm »
It's really quiet outside 
I've seen more people going about the village on foot recently, usually heading for the spar, possibly normal office dwellers who would usually stop on their way home, or maybe furtive 2nd walks, who knows.

Moved into a side room on the outside of the building the other day, yesterday I could hear normal levels of traffic on one of the busiest roads in town, today it was definitley quieter.

Going down the Forfar road and Albert Street and onto the road bridge was weird, didn't even need to dodge the usual junkies and gadgies who stagger across the road in front of the town bound traffic from Aberdeen, Forfar etcm

This being a key worker thing's going to be bloody weird.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #157 on: 25 March, 2020, 11:40:05 pm »
5th day in a row of making my steps goal (I rarely make it more than 3 in a row).

Also, sat at my desk at home I heard some woodpeckers in the nearby estate.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #158 on: 26 March, 2020, 12:15:04 am »
Birds watched from my Home Office:

Loads of blue tits.
Ditto starlings
A pair of buzzards
A red kite
An unknown raptor, smaller than a buzzard and wrong wing shape, being taunted by a crow. I'm suspecting either a kestrel or a sparrow hawk.

Bonus things to make me smile:
The noise of squealing kids playing in the neighbouring garden
The rainbow things the kids downstair havestuck to the window.
People smiling and saying hello (from a safe distance) when I nipped out for shopping.

Wossat, then?
There's at least a couple in my street.
Rainbow things.
Not kids downstairs - although tbf, there's probably a few of those as well.
It's a social meeja thing. Kids stuck at home, as the schools are closed. Get them to draw rainbows and stick them in the window to brighten the place up.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #159 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:45:33 am »
It's that what it is? One's appeared in a window opposite sometime between yesterday and this morning.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #160 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:49:31 am »
anyone else having trouble convincing parents to stay in? My mum is getting the bus into the large town to buy food for the wild birds  :-\

I don't see how that is a "bonus". Good news only pleeeeaaasseee

sorry misread the title I though the main CV thread had moved here  :-[

fwiw now I've chanced upon it I think this is a pretty sick (and publicly viewable) thread as for millions around the world and many thousands dead there is NO bonus but keep posting if it makes you all feel better
I see Martin has gone, which is a shame. He has a point, yes, this is a global plague which will kill probably millions worldwide and blight the lives of hundreds of millions. But those are precisely the circumstances in which we need to look all the more closely for the good things. To do otherwise would be to despair.

I've been thinking that this thread is a little being the parent of a toddler. It's not so much that the things you suddenly see are new, it's that you're being enabled to look at them as if they were.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #161 on: 26 March, 2020, 09:07:18 am »
Perhaps Martin should have read the OP...

In the midst of a sea of shite, death, boredom and horror, this is a thread for the surprising and unexpected bonuses of the current viral fuckfest. I'll start...

It isnt flippant at all, despite the thread title. It's a thread for noticing change in our lives.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #162 on: 26 March, 2020, 09:09:10 am »
But those are precisely the circumstances in which we need to look all the more closely for the good things. To do otherwise would be to despair.
Absolutely.  :thumbsup:
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ian

« Reply #163 on: 26 March, 2020, 09:32:39 am »
Life goes on. People die all the time. Sometimes we can do something about it, sometimes we do, sometimes we can't do either.

« Reply #164 on: 26 March, 2020, 11:04:50 am »
My junk mail folder is noticeably thinner the last few days.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #165 on: 26 March, 2020, 11:06:25 am »
I don't need to look at a pikey white van out of my front window every night because its driver has stopped bringing it home.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #166 on: 26 March, 2020, 12:08:44 pm »
Strava says for the April challenges:

No month is truly complete without a long ride. Complete this Challenge simply by riding at least 100 km in one activity - as fast or slow as you like. Whether you ride for the badge or just ride for yourself, enjoy a big day out.

We expect all athletes to honor the Strava Strava Community Standards, which includes abiding by all health advisements and restrictions in your area prior to undertaking any physical activity.

With this in mind, GPS, manual entries, virtual activities and trainer workouts will count toward this challenge. Many of you take a lot of well-deserved pride in your challenge accomplishments, and we want to help you stay motivated even if you aren't able to get outside as you normally would. There's never been a better time for us to make indoor activities count toward challenges, and so we're happy to respond to this long-standing request.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #167 on: 26 March, 2020, 12:16:24 pm »
"There's never been a better time for us to make indoor activities count toward challenges,"

Have people really just been waiting for a time to make indoor activities count towartds challenges?  That's just pathetic.

ian

« Reply #168 on: 26 March, 2020, 12:23:40 pm »
There's a wanking challenge? I suppose it counts as exercise.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #169 on: 26 March, 2020, 12:30:25 pm »
I am getting paid a bonus... not as much as it could have been but - despite the potential impact of Covid19 on 2020 EBITDA - it's still a bonus.

And, due to Covid19 it will be paid this week rather than at the end of April as per usual.  If I kark it because of Covid at least Jon will have enough to pay for my funeral.   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #170 on: 26 March, 2020, 01:01:11 pm »
Are points awarded for frequency, volume, distance, speed, or all four?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #171 on: 26 March, 2020, 01:08:29 pm »

There's also need to be categories for the different strokes. Why did they postpone the Olympics when we could have simply reverted to 'home sports' like this? I fear some people lack imagination (which you probably need for wanking, either that or a stable high bandwidth broadband connection).

« Reply #172 on: 26 March, 2020, 01:36:44 pm »
Look, it would be subjectively judged, just like gymnastics, dressage and diving. To be a champion youd have to show panache.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #173 on: 26 March, 2020, 01:43:42 pm »

Accuracy?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #174 on: 26 March, 2020, 01:44:45 pm »
Need a judge?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor