Author Topic: Nocturne Podcast does Audaxing  (Read 9623 times)

Nocturne Podcast does Audaxing
« on: 01 November, 2016, 02:20:26 pm »
I suggested that Nocturne Podcast do an episode on night time audax riding and they've gone ahead and made a two parter. First episode is available now from http://www.nocturnepodcast.org/ or whever you usually stream podcasts from. I listened to it this morning and felt that for a non audaxer the host has done a really good job on this. I reckon it's worth a listen.

Re: Nocturne Podcast does Audaxing
« Reply #1 on: 01 November, 2016, 02:45:09 pm »
Aye, I was enjoying listening to that yesterday - good on you for getting them to do it :thumbsup:

ChillyPanda

« Reply #2 on: 01 November, 2016, 09:38:59 pm »
Brilliant - thanks for posting the link.

« Reply #3 on: 01 November, 2016, 09:57:05 pm »
Yes, that's very nicely done.
Makes good night time listening!
Garry Broad

« Reply #4 on: 02 November, 2016, 02:29:53 pm »
Very good listening.  Enjoyed it. Type II Fun described very well.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2016, 02:34:09 pm »
You can observe the cultural difference between the RUSA and AUK descriptions of long rides. RUSA folk tend to emphasise the difficulties to overcome and AUKs tend to describe Audaxing as just a long bike ride.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #6 on: 02 November, 2016, 02:40:29 pm »
Almost made me want to start audaxing again.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2016, 04:41:29 pm »
This deserves a bump - I eagerly await part 2!

You can observe the cultural difference between the RUSA and AUK descriptions of long rides. RUSA folk tend to emphasise the difficulties to overcome and AUKs tend to describe Audaxing as just a long bike ride.
I thought the RUSA guy doing most of the talking was great (not a name I recognised, sorry).

The emphasis on PBP gave me some good common ground to relate to them on, whilst it was fun hearing about US-specific issues (like rural post-offices being their "Audax hotels" ! I'm sure you approved of the lack of real hotels ;) )

I noticed the presenter talking about RandonEERs (not RandonnEURS) - was that just a mistake, or could she have picked it up from the US riders?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 07 November, 2016, 04:42:22 pm »
The Episode about night swimming is also very good. I shall listen to some non-endurance-sport episodes shortly ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 07 November, 2016, 06:01:11 pm »
The USA-ians don't do bus shelters but their post offices have lobbies to allow 24hr access to post boxes - perfect nap locations out of the rain and wind.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #10 on: 08 November, 2016, 11:00:57 am »
On the subject of night riding, my Finnish chums do a winter solstice ride with must be started after sunset and completed by sunrise. You ride a minimum of 150km and finish either in Tampere (sunrise 09:44), or further north in Oulu (sunrise 10:30) which obviously gives more time but is probably  is probably colder and icier.

I can't help thinking that if Ivalo in the far north of Finland were a permitted destination, you'd have until just after midday on Jan 9th for the next sunrise.

Here's a video (with subtitles) by velogi on the 2015 ride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzvfu8epTgY
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #11 on: 08 November, 2016, 01:45:32 pm »
Great listen. Thanks for posting it.
I rode large chunk of PBP with Max. Hearing his voice describing all those night time shenanigans did bring back memories!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 08 November, 2016, 01:58:47 pm »
On the subject of night riding, my Finnish chums do a winter solstice ride with must be started after sunset and completed by sunrise. You ride a minimum of 150km and finish either in Tampere (sunrise 09:44), or further north in Oulu (sunrise 10:30) which obviously gives more time but is probably  is probably colder and icier.

I can't help thinking that if Ivalo in the far north of Finland were a permitted destination, you'd have until just after midday on Jan 9th for the next sunrise.

Here's a video (with subtitles) by velogi on the 2015 ride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzvfu8epTgY
As audax was invented to be (roughly) the furthest a man could reasonably cycle between one dawn and dusk, I'd say your Finnish friends have invented the exact opposite of Audax.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #13 on: 08 November, 2016, 02:11:12 pm »
Xadua?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #14 on: 08 November, 2016, 07:18:59 pm »
Listened to it while doing a session on the spin bike last night - very enjoyable and chapeau to TSK for suggesting it. I'd echo LWB's comment below about the US riders emphasising the challenges but, let's face it, how likely are you to encounter a large mountain lion on the Flatlands 600?  I guess, also, that the producer needs to focus on the  difficulties encountered to make the podcast interesting to the casual listener. It would be good, though, to have had someone saying that, once you get into it, building up to the longer distances is well within most people's reach and encouraging them to give it a try.

Looking forward to part 2.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #15 on: 08 November, 2016, 07:42:16 pm »
The USA-ians don't do bus shelters but their post offices have lobbies to allow 24hr access to post boxes - perfect nap locations out of the rain and wind.

A lot of European riders do the same with bank lobbies, as they can be accessed with a card. The one at Meneac on the PBP is especially favoured.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 08 November, 2016, 07:43:53 pm »
Yup. Some French bank lobbies are even carpeted. I can confirm that they are a very civilised option.

Nocturne Podcast does Audaxing
« Reply #17 on: 08 November, 2016, 08:39:42 pm »
Does anyone know which episode numbers the Audax features are on? I use iTunes. Many thanks.

« Reply #18 on: 08 November, 2016, 10:42:52 pm »
Does anyone know which episode numbers the Audax features are on? I use iTunes. Many thanks.

"Episode 23: Proof of Passage" is Part 1

« Reply #19 on: 09 November, 2016, 08:37:21 am »
Yup. Some French bank lobbies are even carpeted. I can confirm that they are a very civilised option.

One of the French LEL 2009 write-ups features a bank lobby in St Neots.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 09 November, 2016, 08:59:38 am »
I guess, also, that the producer needs to focus on the  difficulties encountered to make the podcast interesting to the casual listener. It would be good, though, to have had someone saying that, once you get into it, building up to the longer distances is well within most people's reach and encouraging them to give it a try.
To be fair to the producer, it was never intended as advertising for audax - it's a piece about weird shit that people do at night.
In this case on bicycles - via France, and threatened by mountain lions.

I agree that as an "Introduction to Audax" it is a bit skewed!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #21 on: 09 November, 2016, 08:54:12 pm »

"Episode 23: Proof of Passage" is Part 1

Much appreciated. Thank you.

hillbilly

« Reply #22 on: 12 November, 2016, 07:38:25 am »
Very good overview of our sport. Thanks for making me aware of it :)

« Reply #23 on: 13 November, 2016, 05:29:18 pm »
I enjoyed this too - missed this thread until now, but Martin tweeted about it.

« Reply #24 on: 14 November, 2016, 06:02:57 pm »
.... chapeau to TSK for suggesting it.
Seconded - a most enjoyable listen.
I'd echo LWB's comment below about the US riders emphasising the challenges but, let's face it, how likely are you to encounter a large mountain lion on the Flatlands 600?
Not likely, granted, but I did recognise the part about drunk drivers and similar yahoos attacking riders. This remains the biggest single deterent factor about Audax for me.

I too, am looking forward to Part 2 - it looks like the podcasts are published monxthly, so we may have to wait a while....