Author Topic: National 400 2017 (or Sleepless in Aberystwyth)  (Read 42397 times)

Bairn Again

Re: National 400 2017 (or Sleepless in Aberystwyth)
« Reply #25 on: 01 February, 2017, 10:17:34 pm »
My most enjoyable 400 was a DIY version of Berwick & Beattock.  7am start, rode 320km stopping at 11pm, kipped til 4 and knocked off the last bit fresh the next morning.

This approach makes 400s more enjoyable.  Imho. 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: 02 February, 2017, 06:45:10 am »
My most enjoyable 400 was a DIY version of Berwick & Beattock.  7am start, rode 320km stopping at 11pm, kipped til 4 and knocked off the last bit fresh the next morning.

This approach makes 400s more enjoyable.  Imho.
Indeed.

I have struggled through 400km without sleep a couple of times, but really didnt enjoy that aspect. I don't think that my experience of riding several SRs has changed my boliogical need/cravings for sleep - it has just made me more confident of my limitations.

Yes, I think "most" 400s dont have a sleep stop (although lots of 600s don't either!). But 2 things:
- The BC400 is perhaps the most ridden, and has a very nice sleep stop.
- Many (Most?) riders say they find 400s harder than 600s. Given that it is a shorter ride, perhaps this is related to most events not having a sleep stop?

I'm not a super cyclist or anything
_I_ think you are!  :-*
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #27 on: 02 February, 2017, 11:29:35 am »

Looks like me & partner in crime could be up for this again... last year's being my first Audax for some years you were all a bit strange but seemed nice enough ;) van was a welcome sight of course.... oaty choc cake thing requested :)

:thumbsup:

« Reply #28 on: 03 February, 2017, 07:36:20 am »
Hmmm... racking my brains here but I don't think I've ever slept on a 400.

Have nodded off on plenty of 600s though. Sometimes whilst still riding...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #29 on: 03 February, 2017, 11:58:02 am »

We had "5mins" kip at the last control last year, the nigh section had been long, cold, hard and slow.
I knew from running experience that 5mins shut eye is a massive boost, as is getting through to dawn (and now Clare knows that too).

(And to my frustration/shame I had to have 10mins kip in the support car 12miles from the end of my 230mile ultra triathlon bike... in my defence there was some swimming first... but my blink rate has gone right up and I was getting somewhat weavy)

But a full on kip... neverrrrrrrr.. I've been up to 44hrs running on 10mins total nap time.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #30 on: 03 February, 2017, 12:55:37 pm »
I am surprised so many people are making such strong statements about sleeping. Basically, sleep if you need it and this can be unpredictable. I have done a 600 with no sleep and had to stop on a 400 twice as I was going to fall asleep while riding. A lot depends on the two weeks before the ride. Go in with sleep deprivation and you are more likely to struggle. When will the sleepy feelings hit, no one knows and sleep is required. I have done power naps and once fell asleep for 4 hours. I try not to plan too much and have an agenda of ride as far as possible, sleep as little as possible, get to the end as soon as possible.

Has worked for me through LEL, PBP and LJOG and many 600 and 400 rides.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #31 on: 04 February, 2017, 09:57:57 am »
Think the national is now a ride I will always try and do wherever it's held.

On the subject of sleep I did manage a quick lie down in the ford near Alton last summer. That helped.

« Reply #32 on: 04 February, 2017, 10:34:35 am »

I suppose the national 400 might though as it is supposed to be more "deluxe" and suited to people that don't ride much

Last year (my first) was certainly deluxe. Though those using the sleeping facilities seemed mostly to be fast club riders who were treating it as two rides with a decent sleep between. I'm sure I saw someone in pyjamas, though I may have imagined it.
Looking forward to this years.  In the unlikely event that I have time in hand to sleep, I probably will whether I need it or not, just because I can.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #33 on: 06 February, 2017, 08:46:15 pm »
The pictures swayed me! After having a look at page 44 of the new Arrivee, I decided to go for it. Looks really lovely.

Virgin currently as tickets for the non-stop London Euston Shrewsbury service at 1823 Jun 23  for 14.50 quid btw, and until tonight, there was a least one free bike space   :thumbsup:
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #34 on: 06 February, 2017, 09:11:43 pm »
Last year (my first) was certainly deluxe. Though those using the sleeping facilities seemed mostly to be fast club riders who were treating it as two rides with a decent sleep between. I'm sure I saw someone in pyjamas, though I may have imagined it.
Looking forward to this years.  In the unlikely event that I have time in hand to sleep, I probably will whether I need it or not, just because I can.
I wore pyjamas on LEL 'cos I had a bag drop.  Too idle to carry them otherwise.
And if you are the Paul H whose route sheet I 'used' overnight, many thanks again!

I suspect I mayn't make it to this ride, alas, due to logistics (younger guy away that mon/tue/wed and I'll be taking the opportunity of time to do a DIY 800 (well, that's the current plan anyway).  Otherwise would be tempted.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #35 on: 06 February, 2017, 09:14:41 pm »
Virgin currently as tickets for the non-stop London Euston Shrewsbury service at 1823 Jun 23  for 14.50 quid btw, and until tonight, there was a least one free bike space   :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up; your bike will now have a friend on the train.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 08 February, 2017, 08:07:03 pm »
According to the National Rail page on advance fares, you can only book Advance tickets with Virgin upto April 28th.

I don't think I will ever understand these things  ::-) !
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #37 on: 08 February, 2017, 08:08:31 pm »

And you might have a friend on the ride

« Reply #38 on: 08 February, 2017, 10:55:59 pm »

I'd spotted this a few days ago, not got round to ringing up about a bike space, and started quietly cursing you ...

Anyway, three of the available spaces are now accounted for - if you believe the website, that means there's at most only one left.

According to the National Rail page on advance fares, you can only book Advance tickets with Virgin upto April 28th.

Both Virgin East and West Coast make weekday tickets available on their primary routes much earlier than the standard 12 week booking horizon - I think they try to go for 24 weeks. As ever, terms, conditions, blackout dates ... and I don't think bank holidays count as weekdays for these purposes.

Ben T

« Reply #39 on: 08 February, 2017, 11:55:26 pm »
I am surprised so many people are making such strong statements about sleeping. Basically, sleep if you need it and this can be unpredictable. I have done a 600 with no sleep and had to stop on a 400 twice as I was going to fall asleep while riding. A lot depends on the two weeks before the ride. Go in with sleep deprivation and you are more likely to struggle. When will the sleepy feelings hit, no one knows and sleep is required. I have done power naps and once fell asleep for 4 hours. I try not to plan too much and have an agenda of ride as far as possible, sleep as little as possible, get to the end as soon as possible.

Has worked for me through LEL, PBP and LJOG and many 600 and 400 rides.

BB

I just lean on a gate. Sometimes even need to about an hour or two into a 300.

« Reply #40 on: 09 February, 2017, 12:25:43 am »

That page doesn't update as quickly as the Virgin site does.

Although you can book train tickets through anyone whether it's another TOC (I still go to gner.co.uk to book mine, whoever it redirects to - Virgin East Coast now) or a ticketing company (such as thetrainline, etc) you will always find the advance tickets (and sometimes the best deals) available from the TOC providing the actual service.

It takes a while for the cheap advance tickets to filter down to the other TOCs and general ticketing companies. This is usually around the time that the National Rail site says they will be available.

The latter is generally 84 days but the supplying TOCs may make the advance tickets available as early as 90 days. If you go by the National Rail site you may lose out on the best deals.

To get the best deals I used to check the websites every hour or so (when I was awake and near a computer) from a day or so before 90 days...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 09 February, 2017, 07:22:31 pm »
Thanks.

(I should have realised that any centralised UK rail information would turn out to be hopelessly unreliable  :facepalm:  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #42 on: 01 March, 2017, 10:51:18 am »
Open for entries today. The National 400 is usually first on my list of rides to do for the year, and I'm looking forward to this one already.

« Reply #43 on: 01 March, 2017, 01:43:41 pm »
Entered and looking forward to it, looks great.

Bairn Again

« Reply #44 on: 01 March, 2017, 06:48:47 pm »
Im in.

Not sure how I will get there but will worry about logistics nearer the time. 

« Reply #45 on: 01 March, 2017, 07:08:39 pm »
Entered

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #46 on: 01 March, 2017, 08:37:26 pm »
I'm in as well, despite an annoying date clash which required some haggling with my other half. Looking forward to it already!
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #47 on: 01 March, 2017, 08:38:04 pm »
66 entries received so far today.

To all those who've entered - bear with me - confirmations will be sent out over the next few days as I work through all the details.

« Reply #48 on: 01 March, 2017, 08:42:27 pm »
How likely is it to fill up (/what's the maximum number of riders)?

I'd quite like to enter, but I need to work out firstly if I can get the time, and secondly if I'll be able to get round (never done a 400k before!) and don't want to apply and deprive someone of a place.

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #49 on: 01 March, 2017, 08:57:39 pm »
Limit is 150.

How likely/quickly will it fill up? Hard to tell as obviously each year is a new experience. Last year's was open right up to the deadline. I'm expecting that things settle down over the next few days as we get over the initial bulge that's been waiting for the entries to open.