Author Topic: Amesbury Amble 300, 1st July  (Read 8324 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Amesbury Amble 300, 1st July
« Reply #25 on: 20 June, 2017, 05:40:31 pm »
Have a look at an old printed Handbook (maybe a PDFed Handbook). They recorded all of the youngest winners back to the beginning and I recall that one of them specifically noted a 300 completed. I think you can find one or more Handbook PDFs on the AUK website.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 20 June, 2017, 05:58:09 pm »
From page 45 of http://www.aukweb.net/handbook/handbook.pdf

(1982 Peter Simpson . . . . . . . . . . 8 )
(1986 P Simpson 300. . . . . . . . . 12 )
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #27 on: 21 June, 2017, 12:29:15 pm »
Did I imagine an email asking us what food we'd prefer?

« Reply #28 on: 21 June, 2017, 12:53:21 pm »
Did I imagine an email asking us what food we'd prefer?

Nope. We are catering for all tastes at the arrivée:

Spanish Pork and bean stew
Lasagne
Macaroni Cheese
Roasted vegetable pasta

All home made.
Once you've entered the ride you get a poll link to vote for your choice  :)

« Reply #29 on: 21 June, 2017, 01:02:53 pm »
Ah a poll!! That email disappeared! Macaroni for me!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 21 June, 2017, 01:03:42 pm »
It was missing an option "All of these and second helpings!"  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #31 on: 21 June, 2017, 02:41:32 pm »
Ah a poll!! That email disappeared! Macaroni for me!

that email contains all the other essential info along with GPX and route sheet - what's your name? I will re-send it to you

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #32 on: 21 June, 2017, 03:04:06 pm »
Super luxury scout hut you have there! Shame I can barely manage 100km at the moment, let alone 300 as this would be the closest starting Audax to me, even beats the Ditchling Devil! ;)

And now I realise its a weekend where I have been abandoned in Raynes Park by the family too! ;)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #33 on: 25 June, 2017, 11:49:05 am »
There are some instructions overwritten with the ride date, these I think should be:

1.0      L into underpass
83.0     R@T
160.5    R@T
225.9    L
271.3    R across

At least the following has gone wrong in the PDF creation, no biggie:
95.2     R on LHB, eff SO
('eff SO' is in the PDF but obscured)
Could be more like that I missed.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #34 on: 25 June, 2017, 06:06:29 pm »
There are some instructions overwritten with the ride date...

sorry about that, no idea how that happened, the pdf was created from an excel spreadsheet, and I put the ride date in on the front sheet - why that should overwrite info on all the sheets behind it is a mystery to me, but I will make corrections and send out a new pdf asap, thanks for letting me know!

« Reply #35 on: 26 June, 2017, 09:13:54 am »
Weather looks superb. Cool temps, plenty of sunshine and a humongous tailwind back! :)

I won't be staying overnight but driving to the start at 5am now.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #36 on: 26 June, 2017, 09:19:09 am »
Implies a humongous headwind out. Gibber!

« Reply #37 on: 26 June, 2017, 10:54:50 am »
Implies a humongous headwind out. Gibber!

Let’s focus on the positives yeah??

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #39 on: 27 June, 2017, 08:05:15 pm »
Mostly crosswind, then.  :D

« Reply #40 on: 01 July, 2017, 07:39:28 pm »
I've just driven past a number of your riders (in the opposite direction) between bracknell and sunningdale. Including the youngster in the middle of a group just after the bracknell control. I recon he has 4.5 hours in hand.

« Reply #41 on: 02 July, 2017, 08:52:50 am »
Thank you Richard, Dominic & the rest of the KWAC team for a superb day out.
Made an impromptu stop at Winchester coffee roasters in umm... Winchester for coffee consumption and bean purchase.
I really enjoyed the section though the Sailsbury plains MOD land. A bit of drama at Whitchurch when a large fire started in the village.
The emergency services were on the scene pretty quickly and seemed to have it under control by the time we had finished our coffee and cake.
Hats off to the young lad on his first 300. I saw him at Amesbury making quick pace. I remarked "well he's obviously on a tandem" ...apparently not. Remarkable!
A few photos

« Reply #42 on: 02 July, 2017, 09:31:56 am »
Yes it was a super day out on the bike.
An excellent route with, for me, a surprising number of new and quiet roads/lanes to enjoy.
Good weather with much tailwind assistance.
A fixed friendly route but with a few leg testing hills. Thanks to Ben for his company on fixed.
Great food at the finish.
Thanks Richard and team - you've raised the bar for organising events!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #43 on: 02 July, 2017, 04:45:10 pm »
Thank you Rich and all your helpers, it was a cracking day out.

Really nice route, excellent route sheet, great breakfast and super supper.

Warning, contains details:

I caught a tow from various groups all the way to Fox Corner then again from Ash to Farnham, all too fast for me to be any help apart from West Byfleet to Mayford.  After being dropped on the heave out of Farnham I crawled arriving at Lasham 45 minutes before my planned schedule and thinking I'd done well.  The sea of bikes already there reset my pride, inside the young 'un had already finished eating.  On to Amesbury sharing the effort with one or two others at times, it was work into the wind.  The hills were a trial but I kept telling myself to rule #5.   Disappointment in the cafe, I was thinking about their excellent cheese omelettes all the way from Lasham but no, fried breakfasts only.  Double beans on toast seemed the best soft option.

After all those beans (there was a portion with breakfast at Lasham) my guts were complaining in no uncertain terms.  On the plain I nipped into a stand of trees to deal what I thought was a serious concern.  It turned out to be just trapped wind.  A lot of trapped wind.  As the trees around me stopped shaking a fox came bounding through the undergrowth to see what the noise was and got to within 5 yards before turning & legging it.  I hardly saw a sole on this stretch, I was caught I passed by one rider (Phil?  My memory is lousy.  Groupetto top & bottle) not long after the info.

I missed the Silk Mill by a fraction of the margin I expected to miss it by.  After Whitchurch the hills were purgatory, I could not keep pedalling seated so had to stand until the heart rate got too high, stop, wait & repeat.  No walking though.  It gave me plenty of time to think about fast twitch legs on a slow twitch bike.  Bracknell was it's concrete encrusted usual joy, being so well up on time I rested here much longer than planned.  After Bracknell I was with the rattly guard chapter of Dulwich paragon CC most of the way back.  Apologies for cocking it right up when I went to take my turn on the front towards Chertsey.  I really don't understand it because you were dropping me time & again through Ascot & Virginia Water.  Dropping anyone is always most unexpected.  And very very rare.

My target was midnight, I finished at ten to ten.  I had planned to go back out to complete a double century or a Godwin but I was exceptionally sore.  Seeing the state of certain areas in the shower this morning that was the right decision.

So that was my first 300 in which I almost went to Stonehenge, my first 200 almost went to Stonehenge too.  If anyone knows of a 400 that almost goes to Stonehenge whisper it in my ear so the rest of my body cannot hear.  Postscript on the gears, my halfbreed I usually audax on goes down to 28.85".  The road bike I used yesterday has nothing below 41.27".

Thanks again Richard, top venue you've found there.  Good luck with the SR next year.

ETA:
Good to meet you Cudzoziemiec, chat some more next time our paths cross.
Good news: No trapped nerves, first time over ~170km I can say that.  Often I've suffered after only ~100.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #44 on: 03 July, 2017, 09:55:19 am »
What's all this about a good day out? This was a whole weekend! From the glamour of sleeping in a scout hut the night before (with play mats you could use to sleep on; comfy!) through breakfast (another first for me, an audax which gives you breakfast; pre-ride cake, yes, but actual breakfast was a new one) to midnight feast (which is what it was even if you do call it dinner) and of course the company along the way, it was a lot more than just a day on a bike!

High point? Most of it, really, in particular everything from somewhere before Lasham all the way to Wokingham, not eating fried bread at Amesbury, the ford at Winterbourne Dauntsey (no, I didn't ride through it; I bet someone did but I don't know if there's evidence!), recognizing a junction (Golden Pot?) where I got lost on my first ever 200 (the Jack Eason Struggle a few years ago), Salisbury Plain, sunshine at Overton, not getting a puncture (see low points). Oh, pasta at the end!

Low point? Wokingham, Bracknell, the garage at Bracknell being semi-unstaffed, hitting a broken bottle in the dark somewhere after Bracknell (thunk, crash, splinter; but the tyre held!).

Spent most of the ride in a titanic struggle for lanterne rouge with Tom from Greenwich (who was riding another 300 the next day!) and Roger from Carmarthen.  :D

Edit: Must mention Cottenham Drive, a steep residential road round the corner from the arrivee. Getting up that on Sunday morning was by far the most challenging climb!  :o

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #45 on: 03 July, 2017, 10:40:44 am »
What's all this about a good day out? This was a whole weekend! From the glamour of sleeping in a scout hut the night before (with play mats you could use to sleep on; comfy!) through breakfast (another first for me, an audax which gives you breakfast; pre-ride cake, yes, but actual breakfast was a new one) to midnight feast (which is what it was even if you do call it dinner) and of course the company along the way, it was a lot more than just a day on a bike!

Ahh, I wondered who that was in the ACB top in thesloth's photos. Slightly disappointed not to see any Amblers on my DIY from Bristol that went through Amesbury and parts of Salisbury Plain.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #46 on: 03 July, 2017, 12:11:40 pm »
That's because you're too fast, Jon. Otherwise you might recognise the back of my head!

ETA:
Good to meet you Cudzoziemiec, chat some more next time our paths cross.
Good news: No trapped nerves, first time over ~170km I can say that.  Often I've suffered after only ~100.
Likewise!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #47 on: 03 July, 2017, 02:14:50 pm »
Rich-thanks for a great day. Top route. I thought the highlight might have been the roads running along between the Beware the Tanks signs, which were new to me and quite superb  , but there again there was the "off piste " stop in Winchester which amazed you so much at the arrivee , since " the route does not go to Winchester ...." , where I had courgette and lime cake with top class coffee which kept even the hipster Felix , whose company we had the pleasure of for the whole ride, happy ,but in the end it was the sight of the Sloth's office in Bracknell which won out. He was so overcome with emotion he could not even take his camera out to capture the moment.

Thanks again Rich  and all your helpers for top food at the start and the finish and  manning the control at Lasham. Blueberries to go on my Muesli and then a Mediterranean salad at the end. Whatever next ?

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #48 on: 03 July, 2017, 09:58:32 pm »
Top food
I now have thermarest envy - Cudzo's is wider than mine.
Showers at the arrivee :-)

Went round with Mel Kirkland, he seems to have slowed down almost to my speed, and has acquired a satnav.  With no co-incidence of me misreading the routesheet and Mel mis-reading the satnav we pretty much stayed en route.
High point - salisbury plain (or whatever it was) after Amesbury up to Marton and even beyond, most of the scenery after leaving London - route back in being done in the dark.  and most of the food. and the views.  and the food. etc
Least impressed with - barriers on the cycle route in Bracknell, I mean, what's wrong with give way signs for the cars.  Based on a sample consisting of all the other people whom I could see at the time, everyone else mosied down the main road which was quiet enow at 8pm approx.
Nice to see a few familiar and lots of new faces.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #49 on: 04 July, 2017, 11:45:29 am »
Super day out Richard. Until Saturday evening I never thought l could ride a 300k; happy to be proved wrong. The tailwind did help a lot towards the end, as well as the prospect of such a good dinner at the arrivee. Many thanks to you and all your helpers.